Headset size for Raleigh Randonneur

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Kinch

Headset size for Raleigh Randonneur

Post by Kinch »

Hi All, would anyone know the correct threaded headset size for an old Randonneur (Reynolds 708 tubing)? I'm guessing the frame is a 90's model and I'm hoping everyone will say it needs a 1 inch headset! I've measured the inside of the headtube at 1 1/4 inch...
Thanks for any advice!
Phil_Chadwick

Re: Headset size for Raleigh Randonneur

Post by Phil_Chadwick »

1" threaded headset. You will also need to pay attention to the stack height since you want the headset to reach the top of the steerer tube and not beyond.
Kinch

Post by Kinch »

Thanks! I thought it must be but wanted to check before buying anything for the frame.
Cheers
meic

Post by meic »

1" headsets come in two different sizes. JIS or ISO standard sizes.
Better make sure you know which you need on the Raleigh.
The difference is tiny but enough to stop them being interchangeable though JIS frame and forks can be converted into ISO ones by removing some metal.
Yma o Hyd
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

As noted above there are still possible variations within the 1" standard; the crown race can vary in size(by up to 0.6mm) and so can the fit of the cups in the frame (by 0.2mm). These variations are unseen until the old headset is removed. Further to that there is an observable variation which is the stack height (i.e. the difference in length between the steerer above the crown race seat and the head tube, plus an allowance for the clearance under the locknut).

The stack height can vary by up to ~15mm; needless to say if you get it wrong in one direction the headset cannot be fitted.

Bearing all this in mind, unless you are quite sure what the headset specification is, and/or you are absolutely certain the old headset is knackered, I would always suggest trying to rebuild the old headset (eg with loose balls rather than clipped ones) before deciding to replace it outright. Even headsets that (say) self-centre quite badly (something that usually occurs only because the thing wasn't adjusted correctly...) can be made to work properly again if you fit loose balls and adjust them carefully.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kinch

Post by Kinch »

Unfortunately the frame is without a headset or forks, I'm hoping to rebuild...does anyone have a similar model bike to guide me as to correct component size(or spec info)? I was going to get a strong light headset from Spa cycles, but not sure about stack heights etc.
Thanks again!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I'd suggest that you get the forks first, then worry about the headset.

If the steerer is about 35mm longer than the head tube you will have a fair choice of headset that will fit.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Aren't steerer tubes long and then cut to fit the head tube and headset? Sometimes.

I have a randonnuer 708 1996 I replaced the campag unit with a shimano stx one, perfect fit.

This was the exact sale , check size first -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JEU-DE-DIRECT ... SwFNZWxILN
Attachments
stx hs.jpg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NorwichVelo

Post by NorwichVelo »

Hi I used a Tange Levin 1" on mine but I always replace the bearings with a higher grade 10. The stack height was a bit shy say 3mm but I had a spacer and I'm using the cable hanger which I assume you are. The spacer made adjustment easier with the hanger plus I didn't want to cut the folk steerer down.

The Randonneur is a lovely frame in 531st. I love mine. Good luck with your build. I had to replace my cable housing too which was a shame as the translucent Shimano is very nice.

I've got a catalogue PDF if you pm me I'll email it to you.
cooper_coleraine

Post by cooper_coleraine »

I followed Brucie's advice and fitted loose ball bearings and the headset fits, tightens and works well. I could not find a match for the original headset.
All the best