Budget bike for touring?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Preordained

Budget bike for touring?

Post by Preordained »

Hey Guys!
Just looking for a bit of advice on putting together a budget touring bicycle.
First a bit of background information; I'm planning on cycling from Denmark to Portugal, Leaving late November, but with numerous stops and detours along the way. It'll equate to a few thousand miles, some of which will be crossing areas of heavy snowfall, dirt roads to cities and cobbled streets. I'd also be carrying camping gear...etc rather than staying in hostels and the like. Leaving late November.
So my question is, for a budget of £600 what option would you take (new bike, secondhand...etc) to make the ride as comfortable and enjoyable as possible? And which bike would you go for/ would you make any upgrades?
Many thanks,
Regan :)
JBB

Re: Budget bike for touring?

Post by JBB »

Second hand is good if you know what you are looking at or have a knowledgeable friend. If you want new I'd go for one of the Edinburgh bike coop own brand and spend some money on a set of 36 spoke handmade wheels from Spa cycles.
Then allow some budget for a front rack and some pannier bags.

I cycled from Brittany to Murcia this year on previous version of the Revolution Country Tourer modified like this. We did smooth and rubbish tarmac, canal towpaths and cobbles and had no problems at all.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My thoughts - this budget bike served me well. With a set of Schwalbe Land Cruiser tyres on it it would take you anywhere because they have a smooth continuous centre bead which is as friction free as a smooth tyre. And knobbles on the sides for off road grip.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=36102&hilit=tourer+for+a+song#p287542

Have fun

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

For various reasons I have been considering picking up a specialized sirrus sport, 2016 model, which is available from Evans cycles discounted to £425 from £500. However if you do your research you can find it online for £350 and get Evans to price match, and this is a bargain price.

It has a good spec for touring - triple chainset, low gearing, long chainstays and plenty of attachments for bottle cages, mudguards and racks, both front and rear. The components aren't fantastic quality but they are good enough. You could do with getting some hand built wheels as the stock ones may not be great but they will probably be fine. My girlfriend has toured over 5000kms on the wheels that came with her Specialized bike and had no issues. You could also go halfway and replace just the rear wheel as that is where most of the load will be.

Only extras I would buy are mudguards, a rear carrier and some bar end grips which shouldn't come to more than £100 in total. For puncture protection some marathon tyres would be a good investment. Try to price match these too and they may even fit them for free when you buy the bike.

Edinburgh bicycle coop also do some touring bikes which are worth a look, their 2016 stock is discounted at the moment.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I would say a 26" wheel with 2.1 tyres and clearance for snow tyres - you can carry a pair on the back but you will need to check that they fit.

You will be carrying a lot of stuff so your bike will need all the braze-ons (front as well so that's a steel fork and no sus).

Your equipment (sleeping bag, lighting etc) might be as much as your bike.

A second hand Surly LHT 26" would be my recommendation as the most likely bike that you'll find. Check out the Sherpas for sale on this forum.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

leaving it a bit late to ride a new bike that distance. I would bet many here would say it took them some time to set up their own bike so they could ride for hrs on end?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mercalia wrote:leaving it a bit late to ride a new bike that distance. I would bet many here would say it took them some time to set up their own bike so they could ride for hrs on end?

If the OP gets it set up by the shop, and starts riding right away, it should be okay.

Anyway, if they're in no hurry, they can start easy and sort it out / get fit as they go.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Not sure if you already have the camping equiment, but don't forget you will need good quality panniers. Cheap ones are unlikely to take the strain.

Front and rear could cost between£150 on discount and £200 full price.
horizon

Post by horizon »

When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

A bit over budget but the Ridgeback Expidition is now £720 at Spa Cycles. A classy looking bike...

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s21p3201 ... Expedition
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
whoof

Post by whoof »

It's getting more and more difficult to find good ones but if you can find an old 1990s mountain bike with no suspension these can make a decent tourer with a few upgrades. I've had mine (£45 from Ebay) for 13 years. In that time I've had new wheels built, a new rear mech and swopped bar, stem and gear levers over from another bike but in total it hasn't cost more the £250 in total.

See below Specialized Stumpjumper 1991 looks pretty good condition currently £101 on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1991-Speciali ... SwCGVX9mOV

Saracen Mtrax for £80

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/retro-bike-/2 ... Sw4shX9URQ
horizon

Post by horizon »

whoof wrote:It's getting more and more difficult to find good ones but if you can find an old 1990s mountain bike with no suspension these can make a decent tourer with a few upgrades.

+1 If the OP wanted to he could get himself completely kitted out for his £600 by judicious ebaying and second hand. I think the main issue is winter camping and snow covered mountains which indicate for me quite a bit of equipment and thus the need for a safe way of carrying it. You don't need to camp or go over snow if you want to cycle from Denmark to Portugal but that is what the OP has said he wants to do.
700c

Post by 700c »

Second Hand, bought inside the next 10 days so that you have some time to get used to sitting on it and if necessary make adjustments.

For that sort of money, you can pick up a "proper" second-hand touring bike such as Dawes/Spa/Surly/Thorn.
You might have to go lower on the list (Dawes) if your £600 also needs to cover tent, sleeping bag, panniers etc etc.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Riding in that season I would go for a bike with 26 inch wheels and Conti Topcontact Winter II tyres. They roll almost as wel as ordinary touring tyres (and better in freezing weather) and give superb grip on light snow etc.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

willem jongman wrote:Riding in that season I would go for a bike with 26 inch wheels and Conti Topcontact Winter II tyres. They roll almost as wel as ordinary touring tyres (and better in freezing weather) and give superb grip on light snow etc.

you trying to put the guy/gal off? next show him that picture of Helen Lloyd

Helen Lloyd
Helen Lloyd

hmm