Aldi Bike Offers now

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mjr

Re: Aldi Bike Offers now

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:Lidl have some nice socks they describe as for work at 3 pairs for £4 called Dickies. have stronger heels and toes says and nice thing come in sizes up to 15 , not so easy to find? (I got 3 lots of pairs 12-15) reasonably long also - took all they had so dont bother look in Streatham :lol:

Dickies is a mainstream workwear brand, also stocked by Homebase and Machine Mart amongst others.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pyruse

Post by pyruse »

Update on the 'Aluminium' lights.
Nice lights, quite well made, and last a longish time (and they are rechargeable).
They are good 'be seen' lights as they are bright and cast light out in a very wide angle.
Conversely no good for seeing as they have no beam, but that's OK, I've already got a nice bright beam on the front.

I have a two year old pair of Aldi cycling gloves and a 4(ish) year old winter cycling jacket.
Both are excellent, particularly the jacket, which is warm, conformtable, and has reflective bits on as well as being bright red.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Might pop in to my local one, Eccles, to see if there's anything greatly reduced, stuff sometimes hangs around for a long while there, the cycling stuff doesn't fly off the shelves so much.
bobbyg

Post by bobbyg »

Do Aldi still do Merino base layers and are they any good?
Finding that the cheap traditional base layers are now leaving my skin very itchy and in some cases up in hives.

Is Merino better for this reason?
robing

Post by robing »

Have they got any cycling shorts in at the moment?
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

robing wrote:Have they got any cycling shorts in at the moment?
Unlike their fruit and veg, their specials seem quite seasonal on the whole, so I suspect shorts won't be seen in store until early spring.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

bobbyg wrote:Do Aldi still do Merino base layers and are they any good?
Finding that the cheap traditional base layers are now leaving my skin very itchy and in some cases up in hives.

Is Merino better for this reason?

One of my local Aldi still has loads of cycling stuff in despite it being nearly a month since it hit the shelves the other three are just about sold out.I think it depends on the Store as to how much stock they send.
I find Merino wool more comfortable than synthetic base layers and it's certainly warmer IMO.I tried my £15 Aldi (Crane) Merino Sunday and although it's not Winter yet it was quite cool out and the Top performed as well as my £50+ HH Merino tops and I was wearing it under my Autumn long sleeve Jersey 8)
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

The ALDI merino.tops are.pretty good. I got the merino skull cap in merino, last year's fleece one was very good so I thought I'd try merino. It's been in use but the more open weave is cooler IMHO than last Autumn fleece version. Air just goes through it under the helmet.

I've got an issue with my brushed aluminum lights. The rear one just doesn't work. They started off being difficult to turn on but the front one is in daily use so that's ok. The rear one is attached to my seatpost but not used since I have 2 other lights in daily use. I decided to use it earlier this week but it wouldn't come on. It was fully charged and tested so I know it worked but it's only been tested a couple of times since I got it when first on sale.

One thing I noticed last weekend, the Garmin GPS has only just sold out. I was hoping they'd not sell out and reduce it by half like they did with the Garmin 25 unit from spring sale. I can't justify getting it since I don't really need it's extra features.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Tangled Metal wrote: I can't justify getting it since I don't really need it's extra features.

I didn't need the features on the Garmin 800(nor did I use them) this didn't stop me upgrading to the New Edge 820 which has even more features I don't need or will probably ever use :lol: :lol:

The features are there though if I ever do feel the need :wink:

Better to have and not need than to need and not have :mrgreen:
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I didn't need the features on the Garmin 800(nor did I use them) this didn't stop me upgrading to the New Edge 820 which has even more features I don't need or will probably ever use :lol: :lol:

I can't believe a Yorkshireman would say something like this.

I assume you're from Yorkshire, given your White Rose avatar thingy.

Barnsley lad myself.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

tykeboy2003 wrote:

I can't believe a Yorkshireman would say something like this.

I assume you're from Yorkshire, given your White Rose avatar thingy.

Barnsley lad myself.

Ay North Sheffield.Born and raised in Rotherham but emigrated to Sheffield 27 years ago :mrgreen:

I'm not your typical frugal Yorkshireman though,I'm more a "life's too short" Yorkshireman :wink:
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I'm not your typical frugal Yorkshireman though,I'm more a "life's too short" Yorkshireman :wink:

Tha can't go sayin' owt like that, tha'll gi 't game away....
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Born and raised in Belfast, but after 20 years in Rotherham would never move away.
Our lass is Silverwood Pit stock.

Bought a pair of Aldi's waterproof lobster gloves this afternoon. Product testing in the rain tomorrow.
£7.99, worth the money even if not waterproof.
Very comfortable.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

landsurfer wrote:Born and raised in Belfast, but after 20 years in Rotherham would never move away.
Our lass is Silverwood Pit stock.

My dad,grandad,uncles and cousins all worked at Silverwood.I got my letter in late '83 to say I started on 28th May 1984,the Monday after I left school but the Strike kicked in February.
Sunnyside born and bred!
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

My wife's family are Hantons. Her dad Cliff was still going in on shift 3 years after he retired sorting out problems with the locos.
He started at silverwood aged 13 as a pit pony boy.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.