Recommend me a head torch

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
reohn2

Head torches

Post by reohn2 »

Does anyone keep one in the bag at this time of year for emergency use either for breakdowns or as a backup be seen light?
I've had a Petzl Tikkina for a few years now and whilst there are other better and more powerful Petzl h/lights,I think it's great for what I use it for.
That said I saw this on Ebay:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401066709020? ... EBIDX%3AIT
and this one:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361484083553? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Both claim to be more powerful than the Petzl,they get good reviews,and also look very similar in build quality to the Petzl.Anyway cut a long one short I ordered both,the cheaper of the two for my S in L who commutes on a towpath so will make a good back up for him.
Anyone any experience or any other makes and models?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Heltor Chasca

Re: Head torches

Post by Heltor Chasca »

All year in my 'touring tool bag' it's an old Petzl, but my main head torch is the Alpkit Muon. Light, comfy, well made, cheap, does the job. And it's orange. My daughter has a blue one.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:Does anyone keep one in the bag at this time of year for emergency use either for breakdowns or as a backup be seen light?
I've had a Petzl Tikkina for a few years now and whilst there are other better and more powerful Petzl h/lights,I think it's great for what I use it for.
That said I saw this on Ebay:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401066709020? ... EBIDX%3AIT
and this one:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361484083553? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Both claim to be more powerful than the Petzl,they get good reviews,and also look very similar in build quality to the Petzl.Anyway cut a long one short I ordered both,the cheaper of the two for my S in L who commutes on a towpath so will make a good back up for him.
Anyone any experience or any other makes and models?

dont like AAA batteries wont ever buy some thing that uses them
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:dont like AAA batteries wont ever buy some thing that uses them

Why?
W H Auden
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Alpkit take a lot of beating in the bang/bucks area for headtorches. I've had one of their original Gamma models for a few years and I've been very happy with it.

Pete

transmitted from my personal telephony apparatus
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:
mercalia wrote:dont like AAA batteries wont ever buy some thing that uses them

Why?

dont last long compared to AA and cost the same to replace?
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Unfortunately the options are few if you want AA. I like the Tikkina, precisely because it is not so powerful. For me its principal use is in and around the tent, and I don't want to blind my wife or loose too much of my night vision. The beauty of the Tikkina is that it has a rather smooth and wide beam, just what I need for general orientation. If somebody makes a lighter wide beam, low intensity light with just one AA, I will reconsider, however. Each time I can half the weight of some gear I become interested, even if only for such a minor item.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Unfortunately the options are few if you want AA. I like the Tikkina, precisely because it is not so powerful. For me its principal use is in and around the tent, and I don't want to blind my wife or loose too much of my night vision. The beauty of the Tikkina is that it has a rather smooth and wide beam, just what I need for general orientation. If somebody makes a lighter wide beam, low intensity light with just one AA, I will reconsider, however. Each time I can half the weight of some gear I become interested, even if only for such a minor item.
meic

Post by meic »

If somebody makes a lighter wide beam, low intensity light with just one AA, I will reconsider, however. Each time I can half the weight of some gear I become interested, even if only for such a minor item.

Well about three people have recommended just such a light on this thread's sister.
The Alpkit Muon.
Yma o Hyd
PH

Post by PH »

I use a Fenix, small, light and a single AA battery. An older model of this one
http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/Shop/Fenix- ... dlamp.html

EDIT - Having found the link, I'm now quite tempted by this one, 365 lumens :shock:
http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/Shop/Fenix- ... ml#Reviews
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Memory Map have a sale of Bushnell Rubicon lights incl a head one for £20 ( 40% off )

https://www.memory-map.co.uk/bushnell-rubicon-h150l-headlamp-3aa-209-lumens?utm_campaign=teclanNovember1&utm_medium=email&utm_source=MailingList

or a more powerful one

https://www.memory-map.co.uk/bushnell-rubicon-h250l-auto-dim-headlamp-3aa-312-lumens

£28

uses 3 AA batterys so heavier than the others here
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:dont last long compared to AA and cost the same to replace?

I take your point but with head torches they get little use,5/10 minutes here 5/10 minutes there,their AAA's last long enough for me not to worry about cost too much.
I don't know what cost/weight/power time of AAA's compared with AA's but there'd need to be a yawning gap between the two types for me to begin thinking about concerning myself about the issue.
The Alpkit Muon uses 1AA compared with say the the Petzl Tikkina @ 3AAA's what would be the real gain with the Muon against the Tikkina battery run time and weight wise,if I need to carry a spare AA for the Muon?
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

reohn2 wrote:The Alpkit Muon uses 1AA compared with say the the Petzl Tikkina @ 3AAA's what would be the real gain with the Muon against the Tikkina battery run time and weight wise,if I need to carry a spare AA for the Muon?

The issue for me would be carrying it on my head, not noticeable 5 min here and there (Though that begs the question why a spare battery) but if I'm wearing one all night then keeping the weight down helps.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:The Alpkit Muon uses 1AA compared with say the the Petzl Tikkina @ 3AAA's what would be the real gain with the Muon against the Tikkina battery run time and weight wise,if I need to carry a spare AA for the Muon?

The issue for me would be carrying it on my head, not noticeable 5 min here and there (Though that begs the question why a spare battery) but if I'm wearing one all night then keeping the weight down helps.

I take your point,the Muon or similar would be a better option in that regard,but I'd expect most head torch use isn't so long.
BTW Muon 68g,Tikkina 85g,it's not a deal breaker for me
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm something of a torch connoisseur - it's second only to my interest in Goretex togs, even though my ageing lifestyle means I spend much less time out after dark.

I think head torches are unbeatable for any job requiring both hands and that's so obvious it's probably pointless saying it. :oops:

Beyond that, I think that the anticipated use is relevant to the choice of power. For occasional emergency use eg puncture repair, dry cell batteries are ideal so long as they are not left unchecked for years to corrode and ruin the torch. OTOH, if you plan regular extended use rechargeables are ideal, so long as you adhere to the relevant charging régime. On the third hand (if that's possible) any sort of prolonged use away from a charging source and it's back to dry cells.

Also, I think that if a head torch is intended to be used for close work, then it's not ideal to have something that's also bright enough to illuminate the road several hundred feet ahead. I see that - at a price - the Petzl Nao will do both automatically by both reacting to the ambient light and working out what you are doing eg looking down or looking further ahead. It's also programmable with a computer. My, oh my.

https://www.petzl.com/GB/en/Sport/PERFO ... B8JqY_XI2w

It's been pointed out that this is still a fast developing technology. This suggests caution before shelling out big money for the latest available kit because something even better may be just round the corner. I mentioned my now ancient Petzl Zipka. The eighth wonder of the world when I bought it but now nothing special. That £25-ish in 1999 was a relatively large sum and not something to encourage disposability.

Head torches do bring out the canteen humour. I've unsuccessfully searched youtube for the Webster's Pennine Bitter ad with the miners. There will be somebody on here who remembers it. :D