More over-30 cyclists KSIs - so PCC calls for child helmet compulsion!?!?

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
mjr

More over-30 cyclists KSIs - so PCC calls for child helmet compulsion!?!?

Post by mjr »

The number of cyclists being killed or seriously injured on Norfolk’s roads has risen, prompting the county’s Police and Crime Commissioner to call for a campaign to get more children to wear cycle helmets (EDP).

Local cyclenation group has responded by asking "How about taking some actions that seem likely to reduce the number of cycling collisions in the first place?" (amongst other things) at http://www.klwnbug.co.uk/2016/11/07/cal ... asualties/

He also got dismantled by Bez on twitter, as shown at https://twitter.com/David_on_a_bike/tim ... 68608?s=09

How can we work with police who seem unwilling to take effective steps to reduce cycling road casualties and a commissioner who may be helmet-trolling to distract from it?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Re: More over-30 cyclists KSIs - so PCC calls for child helmet compulsion!?!?

Post by thirdcrank »

mjr wrote:... How can we work with police who seem unwilling to take effective steps to reduce cycling road casualties and a commissioner who may be helmet-trolling to distract from it?

As I've frequently posted before, it's the PCC who now decides the priorities for the local force and the office holders are elected, generally by a small %-age turnout. Not as easy to rattle as a local councillor because they have a county-wide constituency so 10% or whatever of the electorate is still a lot of people, but effective lobbying is the way. I've little experience of the system in practice as it was only introduced fairly recently but our local PCC apparently likes to arrange a get-together between disgruntled voters and the relevant bit of the police who explain what they are doing, how difficult it all is, etc. I suggest the best line is repeatedly to come back to the point that that's all well and good but the PCC is ultimately responsible and not enough is being done. ie Put it on their toes and make sure it stays there.

This may seem like an uphill struggle, because it is, but that's how things like domestic violence have been brought up the agenda.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I saw Bez's sharp mind at work on Twitter. A delight. Some of these councillors have delusions of grandeur. Our local club's chair tore into a local parish councillor with such tact and grace, I've no evidence he's emerged from his hole to castigate cyclists again. A disappeared. A rhetorical, anti cyclist fatality.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Heltor Chasca wrote:I saw Bez's sharp mind at work on Twitter. A delight.

^^^ :D
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
ribblerouser

Post by ribblerouser »

Would like to add my two penneth worth, but it's been so superbly replied to by Bez and the Bike Users group that that there's nothing really to add, apart from complimenting their rational, sensible responses and hoping that those in power reflect on them.
Perhaps we need a kudos button somewhere...[emoji106]
Zigster

Post by Zigster »

I like to think that David Wilcox has gone quiet because he is contemplating all the points raised. In practice, he is much more likely to be utterly furious that someone has challenged his "common sense".

Great arguments from Bez.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Zigster wrote:I like to think that David Wilcox has gone quiet because he is contemplating all the points raised. In practice, he is much more likely to be utterly furious that someone has challenged his "common sense".

Great arguments from Bez.

David Wilcox is just the chap whose twitter page neatestly summarises things. Lorne Green is the vexing police commissioner.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Zigster

Post by Zigster »

Sorry - my mistake - I read it on a smart phone screen and got a little confused who was who (not much of a twitter user).