Who are the best/worst drivers on the road?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
AMMoffat

Re: Who are the best/worst drivers on the road?

Post by AMMoffat »

[url][/url]
Heltor Chasca wrote:
andrewk wrote:Worst drivers: minicabs, people on mobile phones and African women.

Seriously Andrew, what century are you living in? I'm appalled.[emoji107]

Andrew I suppose you, uniquely, can tell a woman is African just by looking at her. You do know that not all African women are black?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

AMMoffat wrote:[url][/url]
Heltor Chasca wrote:
andrewk wrote:Worst drivers: minicabs, people on mobile phones and African women.

Seriously Andrew, what century are you living in? I'm appalled.

Andrew I suppose you, uniquely, can tell a woman is African just by looking at her. You do know that not all African women are black?

if he had said :lol: black african that would have been racist
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

mercalia wrote:
AMMoffat wrote:[url][/url]
Heltor Chasca wrote:
Seriously Andrew, what century are you living in? I'm appalled.

if he had said :lol: black african that would have been racist

Quite - and not all black women are African. I think we all know what he meant :evil:

Anyway, to answer the OP's question in Andrewk's terms and given I live in the UK, the worst drivers are undoubtedly white :lol:
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

If Andrew could tell what nationality I was by sight I would be seriously amazed. I'm African born actually. I've spent half my life there and half in the UK. I've probably heard every little racist snipe in the book to know he meant black.

Casual racism and sexism is the worst kind because many people seem to accept it. It has held Africa back and it has held women back. Both forms of discrimination hold the UK back.

Thread drift.

The worst drivers round here are the ones who drive without due care and attention and think, because our police force in nearly non-existent, they can break the law. That would encompass just about every category of driver mentioned upthread. And yes they are mainly white.

The best drivers round here? Probably learner drivers actually. No experience, but they don't flout the HC. Yet. Oh. And they are mainly white too.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I think most lorry drivers are excellent.

Not round where I live they're not. Not as bad as minicab drivers as you mentioned though.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

The best drivers round here? Probably learner drivers actually.

You'd certainly hope so, but I've been close-passed many times by learners under instruction.
robing

Post by robing »

I think of all the driving behaviour excess speed is the most dangerous with mobile phone distraction a close second.
andrewk

Post by andrewk »

Heltor Chasca wrote:

I posted this and waited for the inevitable PC kickback. Its heartening to know that there are some who will always argue against any negative comment or view relating to one's experiences. Ignorance seems to bring bliss.

Heltor Chasca wrote:If Andrew could tell what nationality I was by sight I would be seriously amazed. I'm African born actually. I've spent half my life there and half in the UK. I've probably heard every little racist snipe in the book to know he meant black..

Actually, I did NOT mean black, I did mean African. How can I tell that they're African? Easilly by their accent and dress. Our own native blacks drive no differently from our own native whites.

HC, I think that you should spend some time driving and cycling in London, very easy to get on your PC high horse without actual experience of SW London's road conditions and drivers.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

We have a continuing problem in the Peoples Republic of South Yorkshire with some of our recently arrived drivers.
Pulling up to roundabouts and turning right !!
3 accidents on Derne Valley Parkway in the last month.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

andrewk wrote:
Heltor Chasca wrote:

I posted this and waited for the inevitable PC kickback. Its heartening to know that there are some who will always argue against any negative comment or view relating to one's experiences. Ignorance seems to bring bliss.

Heltor Chasca wrote:If Andrew could tell what nationality I was by sight I would be seriously amazed. I'm African born actually. I've spent half my life there and half in the UK. I've probably heard every little racist snipe in the book to know he meant black..

Actually, I did NOT mean black, I did mean African. How can I tell that they're African? Easilly by their accent and dress. Our own native blacks drive no differently from our own native whites.

HC, I think that you should spend some time driving and cycling in London, very easy to get on your PC high horse without actual experience of SW London's road conditions and drivers.

5 years commuting in London Andrew. Actual experience. Brixton and East London among others. As ethnically diverse as you like. That's the trouble. You think you know things about others and in actual fact you haven't the foggiest.

Dress: irrelevant. Any nationality can wear what they like. Some westerners love wearing the West African costume. Africans love American sports garb.

Accent: also irrelevant. Can you hear people in their cars? Many migrants (that's me) have moderated accents and you couldn't make an accurate guess.

Your argument and views: Flawed and irrelevant. You meant black and you know it.
Last edited by Heltor Chasca on 7 Nov 2016, 7:20pm, edited 2 times in total.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Heltor, quite happy to hold the reins for you ..
That's a hell of a high horse your up on ....
Be more Mike.
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

Heltor Chasca wrote:
andrewk wrote:
Heltor Chasca wrote:

5 years commuting in London Andrew. Actual experience. Brixton and East London among others. As ethnically diverse as you like. That's the trouble. You think you know things about others and in actual fact you haven't the foggiest.

Dress: irrelevant

Accent: also irrelevant.

Your argument and views: Flawed and irrelevant. You meant black and you know it.

I still don't understand how you can tell someone's nationality/ race by their dress. That suggests that if I, a black Scottish woman, choose to wear African dress, whatever that is, that you would be correct in concluding that I am African? That's as crazy as identifying an Englishman in a kilt as a Scot. As Heltor Chasca says, dress is irrelevant.

Apologies to the OP for the drift on this thread but I also feel that such views need to be challenged.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

landsurfer wrote:Heltor, quite happy to hold the reins for you ..
That's a hell of a high horse your up on ....

I like the way you put it. Thanks for the offer of help. I think.

The one trait I won't adopt is British politeness and let people cross my boundaries without me speaking up for myself. I'm strict about that and I'll challenge someone when they do.

I've posted on here before that I've made my fear/anger/frustration clear to a law breaking road user when they've put me in peril. Not something I would recommend and it's something I'm learning to curtail. It's in my blueprint to look after myself and my values. That's my background and like skin colour, it can't be changed. To a degree at least.

We are up against it. Poor infrastructure, poor policing and poor skills from all road users. I don't believe there is group that can be singled out or discriminated against. I'm in the camp that believes improvement can only start when we have decent, fit for purpose infrastructure for ALL road users.

Now landsurfer: Help me off my soap box. There's a good man [emoji6]

EDIT: To lighten my black mood, I'll just say that I was hit by 3 vehicles when I cycled in London. 1st A white guy in van on Bow Flyover. 2nd And elderly Caribbean man on a roundabout in Whitechapel 3rd A young Pakistani bloke in a BMW outside Lords.

That's just sent TfL's statistics out the window hasn't it?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Heltor, the offer was made with good heart.
Be more Mike.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

andrewk wrote:Actually, I did NOT mean black, I did mean African. How can I tell that they're African? Easilly by their accent and dress. O>ur own native blacks drive no differently from our own native whites.

Can you hear their accent when they are in their cars?

And dress... jeans and t-shirts? Isn't that what most Africans wear? Maybe our resident South African can answer that question for us? :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom