Posts pulled

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
syklist

Posts pulled

Post by syklist »

It seems that two posts I made in this thread have been removed. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=110519 What is the normal process when post are deemed to be unsuitable and are removed by moderators?
So long and thanks for all the fish...
landsurfer

Re: Posts pulled

Post by landsurfer »

It also appears as if a prolific poster has been pulled as well.
He was a bit of a thorn in the side of CUK, but has allegedly been banned ...
There must be some published criteria for pulling posts and posters ???
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

syklist wrote:It seems that two posts I made in this thread have been removed. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=110519 What is the normal process when post are deemed to be unsuitable and are removed by moderators?

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3661

The forum staff have the right to remove (without consultation) any user from the forum, especially if they have contravened any of the forum rules.
In reality, should an issue occur the forum staff will normally contact the user concerned to explain any action that they have taken to try to sort out the issue in a friendly and amicable way. If the user is not happy with what has occurred there is a complaints procedure (see below).
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

landsurfer wrote:It also appears as if a prolific poster has been pulled as well.

Whilst guessing about who you are referring to bit I think that as the CTC/CUK don't interfere with the forum, the CTC/CUK decided they really don't like criticism any more so they instructed the individual should be banned. Presumably they think that banning the person from the forum will stop them being held to account any more !! (I know it is daft in the extreme but that is the type of person running the CTC/CUK these days).

Ian
syklist

Post by syklist »

landsurfer wrote:It also appears as if a prolific poster has been pulled as well.
He was a bit of a thorn in the side of CUK, but has allegedly been banned ...
There must be some published criteria for pulling posts and posters ???

I guess there must be some information on this site somewhere. Ah thanks Vorpal for the link.

I was just a bit surprised as, I hadn't received any PM or anything. Even if I am not the main reason that the posts have been pulled then, I would at least have expected a courtesy PM perhaps containing constructive criticism if the moderators thought I had gone over too far. I will wait and see if anything comes my way.

I thought at first the board had been reset or something or I had a problem with my computer.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Your post began a series of Jimmy Savile comparisons that went OTT, so I removed all of the related posts.

Sorry if you would have preferred to be informed. I usually do so.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

In the past I had a post pulled but received a pm explaining why. Maybe that dos'nt happen under the current junta.
I was no supporter of the missing poster but banning dissent never works. I'm sure he will reappear under different sign in details.
Banning people shows a certain amount of disdain for forum members I feel.
If people don't like what someone posts they will be ignored .....
David
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
syklist

Post by syklist »

Vorpal wrote:Your post began a series of Jimmy Savile comparisons that went OTT, so I removed all of the related posts.

Sorry if you would have preferred to be informed. I usually do so.

Thanks for the explanation, I presumed something like that had happened but I didn't see the last post by the OP so was not sure if my intial post was what directly prompted the deletion or other posters contributions. I sometimes think that some of my post might sail close to the wind (in other people's opinions) so if it was my initial post that was the cause then I would need to know what limits I had breached.

It's not a big problem, it was just a bit of a surprise. As far as I am aware it is the first time I have had posts pulled in my twenty + years of activity on the internet. Edit : although there are a few instances where I would have liked to have deleted or modified a post or two. :wink: One advantage of forums over newsgroups.
Barred1

Post by Barred1 »

landsurfer wrote:In the past I had a post pulled but received a pm explaining why. Maybe that dos'nt happen under the current junta.
I was no supporter of the missing poster but banning dissent never works. I'm sure he will reappear under different sign in details.
Banning people shows a certain amount of disdain for forum members I feel.
If people don't like what someone posts they will be ignored .....
David

The Forum software has settings for banning specified user email addresses or from specified IP addresses (that's assuming it's set up properly to do that) - that obviously doesn't stop someone getting a new free email account from Gmail, Hotmail etc to reapper but does slow the process/reduce the possibility a bit.

B1
Riding high!
gaz

Post by gaz »

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3661
Moderation action
Abuse of forum or CTC staff will not be tolerated and may result in the immediate termination of the user concerned.

I don't think the moderators have ever applied the death penalty but it's nice to know it's there should the need arise :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mea culpa, methinks :oops: - but I'm not the only one. Whatever one may think of the JC person, he does have a great deal of money! Perhaps we should stick to (virtual) custard-pies...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

syklist wrote:it is the first time I have had posts pulled in my twenty + years of activity on the internet
It happens to me quite often - mostly in the Grauniad. Insult one of their columnists for whatever reason, and you're out!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
gaz

Post by gaz »

landsurfer wrote:I was no supporter of the missing poster but banning dissent never works. I'm sure he will reappear under different sign in details.

If we are thinking of the same missing poster than I feel sure he has already risen phoenix like under a new guise.

Edit: It would now appear that said phoenix has crashed and burned, although we all know what phoenixes do in such circumstances :wink: .
Last edited by gaz on 3 Dec 2016, 11:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

661-Pete wrote:
syklist wrote:it is the first time I have had posts pulled in my twenty + years of activity on the internet
It happens to me quite often - mostly in the Grauniad. Insult one of their columnists for whatever reason, and you're out!

Guardian does not like it when you disagree with their columnists. They quickly delete your posts and put you on pre-moderated list. However, appeal their stupidity and they will sit on it for a few days, then restore your posts (after everybody has stopped reading the column).

Ian
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
In the agreement and terms, there is no mention of abuse by a Mod to posters, but it does say a Mod has the right to remove without consultation, and you would have had to have tick T&G box before joining, so we agree, complaints IIRC if you can find the wording? Are still with a pen..

Ouch bad grammar :oops:
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 20 Nov 2016, 7:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.