Proof of ID may be needed for NHS care, says health chief

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38060432

"The government estimates £2bn a year is spent on treating overseas visitors - and only about £280m of this is thought to be deliberate health tourism whereby people come from abroad specifically to get free treatment they are not entitled to"

well that £2bn should be recuperated from individuals or foreign govts? A good idea. I am sure there are solns to the I dont have a passport reponse. eg birth certificate?
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Proof of ID may be needed for NHS care, says health chief

Post by Mick F »

I hear they will insist on a passport AND a utility bill.

Some time back, I was trying to identify myself and they wanted a utility bill.
We don't have them at this house! :lol:

The water bill comes in in March, and it's paid. The bill is disposed of.
The Council Tax bill comes in, I set up a standing order per month, then the bill is disposed of.
We don't have gas.
Our broadband is done online and by direct debit.
Electricity is by pre-payment key meter.

I'm sure we're not that unusual.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:I hear they will insist on a passport AND a utility bill.

Some time back, I was trying to identify myself and they wanted a utility bill.
We don't have them at this house! :lol:

The water bill comes in in March, and it's paid. The bill is disposed of.
The Council Tax bill comes in, I set up a standing order per month, then the bill is disposed of.
We don't have gas.
Our broadband is done online and by direct debit.
Electricity is by pre-payment key meter.

I'm sure we're not that unusual.

well thats a good reason to keep one. I do. not just NHS but also open bank accnts?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:I hear they will insist on a passport AND a utility bill....

They already do (for 2ndry healthcare). When I moved back to UK from France I needed a minor operation. I knew I was not covered by NHS for 1st 6 months after returning so waited, then referred to consultant by my GP but before they'd let me see the consultant I had to go in (early before the consultant appointment) bringing in my evidence of residence e.g. passport, utility bills, council tax bill, etc.

and for most of the time I lived in France, French government were charging the UK for any healthcare I received. Covered by E106 which means France charges UK for healthcare given. Similarly, retired UK citizen living in France has their healthcare charged back to the UK.

Other countries do it so why not the UK ?

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mercalia wrote:well thats a good reason to keep one. I do. not just NHS but also open bank accnts?
I reckon it's a good reason to carry on like I am doing.

I have many ways of identifying myself ........... no-one has the right demand to look at my personal finance documents.
Mick F. Cornwall
meic

Post by meic »

no-one has the right demand to look at my personal finance documents.
That is so twentieth century, the bill just went through the house of Lords meaning the government will no longer have to ask to see any of your personal finances or correspondence either.
Yma o Hyd
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There must be plenty on here who went to their GP to have their passport application countersigned under the old rules, as proof of ID. They charged a tidy sum for an autograph. The same people could be taking the same document to the same doctor as proof of ID. :lol:

It's an eye-catching initiative, designed to catch the eyes of people whose eyes are easily caught, and announcing you may do something is so much cheaper and easier than actually doing anything. And with the growth of social media, spin is rapidly growing in effectiveness, if that's measured by those who are taken in.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

meic wrote:
no-one has the right demand to look at my personal finance documents.
That is so twentieth century, the bill just went through the house of Lords meaning the government will no longer have to ask to see any of your personal finances or correspondence either.

Many people have long had the right to demand to see your financial documents - for instance the DWP if you claim benefits, and the police and the taxman when investigating crime.
meic

Post by meic »

But Mick isnt a benefits claimant, or a criminal, or obliged to keep business accounts for 6 years, he is a freeman!
Yma o Hyd
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

meic wrote:But Mick isnt a benefits claimant, or a criminal, or obliged to keep business accounts for 6 years, he is a freeman!

His behaviour is highly irregular - which is as good as being criminal. Isn't the present government dedicated to clamping down on all forms of extremism? When this was suggested I wondered whether that would include vegans, nudists and train spotters. I should have added - does that include Mick?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

meic wrote:But Mick isnt a benefits claimant, or a criminal, or obliged to keep business accounts for 6 years, he is a freeman!

some time called an oap?
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

I note that most hospital doctors have refused to abide by mandatory ID checks.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

SpannerGeek wrote:I note that most hospital doctors have refused to abide by mandatory ID checks.

I would have thought that it dont matter as a patient would first be seen by an admin of some kind?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

He can still be asked to prove residence (which is what this is about - documents listed are only examples of documents that would prove residence and not good ones as a Passport does not prove residence).

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mercalia wrote:
SpannerGeek wrote:I note that most hospital doctors have refused to abide by mandatory ID checks.

I would have thought that it dont matter as a patient would first be seen by an admin of some kind?

You are right. In my case (and thus personal experience of this) I was interviewed by an admin person before my consultant appointment. The consultant had no idea and no interest in my residence now or in the past. she had been trained in proving residence and she checked the documents I brought in and accepted I was now resident in the UK (something your Passport does not - my passport then was issued in Paris!).

Ian