Everybody's Making Plans for Nigel

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
SpannerGeek

Everybody's Making Plans for Nigel

Post by SpannerGeek »

Apologies to XTC for ripping a song lyric..

But seriously, what's so eerily wrong with Nigel, that the government can't even consider him as a liaison between the UK and America? It makes absolutely no sense.

He clearly has a strong rapport with the next President of the United States, this makes no sense not to utilise the relationship to our own benefit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... nald-trump
syklist

Re: Everybody's Making Plans for Nigel

Post by syklist »

SpannerGeek wrote:Apologies to XTC for ripping a song lyric..

But seriously, what's so eerily wrong with Nigel, that the government can't even consider him as a liaison between the UK and America? It makes absolutely no sense.

I don't know what meds you are on but they clearly do not seem to be working.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

syklist wrote:

I don't know what meds you are on but they clearly do not seem to be working.

Well, you prescribed them?

Have you never heard of XTC.? You must be a old man in need of new slippers indeed.
PH

Post by PH »

Trust and acceptance.
Trust - I wouldn't, he doesn't seem to me to be the most honest of people, either with the facts or about his motivation.
Acceptance - if the Tories put him in an establishment position then they may as well pack up and merge with UKIP. If they think Farage is suitable for this position, then why wouldn't their supporters think a UKIP candidate a suitable MP?

Apart from suitability, there's the whole point of accepting that an outside administration should choose UK appointments. Weren't we just sold the idea of taking back control? What was the name of the leading salesman again...
Last edited by PH on 22 Nov 2016, 1:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

He clearly has a strong rapport with the next President of the United States, this makes no sense not to utilise the relationship to our own benefit.

US ambassadors are political appointments - for the worse, I think. Generally, UK ambassadors are not. I'd hope that the ambassador would be working quietly for the good of the UK. He shouldn't be a pal of the foreign head of state, and someone who is more interested in his own profile than the good of his country. That's why Farage shouldn't be ambassador to the US, and that's why I hope he won't have any role. An ambassador with verbal incontinence is an accident waiting to happen.
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

bovlomov wrote:

US ambassadors are political appointments - for the worse, I think. Generally, UK ambassadors are not. I'd hope that the ambassador would be working quietly for the good of the UK. He shouldn't be a pal of the foreign head of state, and someone who is more interested in his own profile than the good of his country. That's why Farage shouldn't be ambassador to the US, and that's why I hope he won't have any role. An ambassador with verbal incontinence is an accident waiting to happen.

Well, we've got Boris. Perhaps he's enough verbal incontinence for one country.
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

I'm not suggesting he should be U.S. ambassador but to ignore the obvious friendship and perhaps influence he has over the next President of the United States, surely a minor role would be advantageous to the 'special relationship ' which seems to have floundered on the rocks of late?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

the reason why it wont happen is that lets face it Mr Farage is an outsider he dont belong to the club? Mrs May says she wants to govern for the people unlike the elitest posh Cameron, but its at a distance type, in the way you feed the animals at the zoo. The political establishment is too snooty to make anything of Mr Farage.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

SpannerGeek wrote:Well, we've got Boris. Perhaps he's enough verbal incontinence for one country.

It's the ambassador's job to quietly mend the fences that Boris noisily smashes. EDIT: Ahem.. I think I meant bridges.

I reckon Farage would be a better Foreign Secretary than Boris.
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

bovlomov wrote:
SpannerGeek wrote:Well, we've got Boris. Perhaps he's enough verbal incontinence for one country.

It's the ambassador's job to quietly mend the fences that Boris noisily smashes. EDIT: Ahem.. I think I meant bridges.

I reckon Farage would be a better Foreign Secretary than Boris.

I think a cheese and ham sandwich would be a better Foreign Secretary than Boris Johnson.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

SpannerGeek wrote:He clearly has a strong rapport with the next President of the United States
So what? The Duke of Windsor clearly had a strong rapport with a certain individual. Need I say more?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

661-Pete wrote:
SpannerGeek wrote:He clearly has a strong rapport with the next President of the United States
So what? The Duke of Windsor clearly had a strong rapport with a certain individual. Need I say more?

Sorry, but that's about as much hyperbole as I can stomach today.

Pass the tin bucket, nurse.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

SpannerGeek wrote:...
But seriously, what's so eerily wrong with Nigel, that the government can't even consider him as a liaison between the UK and America? It makes absolutely no sense....

Ambassadors are diplomatic roles NOT political roles. An Ambassador has to pursue the interests of his country as defined by the government.

So, suppose Ms May decided Freedom of Movement was actually a good thing and decided to go for a "very soft Brexit". Our ambassadors would be obliged to argue that course was the best for the UK and to pursue that outcome, represent the case for it, etc. Can you see Farage (with no diplomatic training) doing that? He'd be following whatever he wanted as he wanted, his own personal ideology, etc.

And does he even deserve any reward for what he's done. and what he's done he's done unofficially anyway as he played no part in the recognised Leave campaign (and even that campaign was critical of him on occasions).

It would be a totally daft appointment.

But what is the UK President Elect doing proposing people for UK diplomatic roles? It is none of his business. Would he listen to the UK if we started saying who he should appoint as the US Ambassador to the UK ?

Ian
pwa

Post by pwa »

An ambassador has to be several things that Farage cannot be. Diplomatic, on message, and with the total confidence of the government. I don't think we need to say any more.