UK could pay to access the EU single market

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

UK could pay to access the EU single market

Post by mercalia »

"The UK would consider making payments to the EU after it leaves the bloc to secure the best possible access to the EU single market, Brexit Secretary David Davis has said."

well I am ok with that asllong as the general tax payer dont pick up the tab?

it is mainly the rich banking sector - let them pay for it? I wont :evil: with the incomes they get they can afford it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38168942
syklist

Re: UK could pay to access the EU single market

Post by syklist »

mercalia wrote:"The UK would consider making payments to the EU after it leaves the bloc to secure the best possible access to the EU single market, Brexit Secretary David Davis has said."

Assuming that is something that the EU is actually prepared to offer as opposed to the supporters of brexit political wet dream of the week.

mercalia wrote:well I am ok with that asllong as the general tax payer dont pick up the tab?

it is mainly the rich banking sector - let them pay for it? I wont :evil: with the incomes they get they can afford it

If it were only so simple. I am sure that there are plenty of companies in the UK reliant on the single market to source their raw materials, machine tools and workforce etc even when the single market is not their major customer.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

syklist wrote:
mercalia wrote:"The UK would consider making payments to the EU after it leaves the bloc to secure the best possible access to the EU single market, Brexit Secretary David Davis has said."

Assuming that is something that the EU is actually prepared to offer as opposed to the supporters of brexit political wet dream of the week.

mercalia wrote:well I am ok with that asllong as the general tax payer dont pick up the tab?

If it were only so simple. I am sure that there are plenty of companies in the UK reliant on the single market to source their raw materials, machine tools and workforce etc even when the single market is not their major customer.

Then there should be Brexit tax for those companies to pay
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

So basically we will end up with no changes in immigration (we'll almost certainly have to have free movement if we want to have barrierless trade, but even if not, we need it for the NHS, and business and farming want it, and when did they ever not get their own way?) and we will have to pay for access to markets. Current estimates for that are not far short of what we pay now, and we will still need to spend a fortune on other services we used to share with the EU for which we will now have to pay 100% instead of our share out of 28 countries. Add in the cost of leaving and drafting new laws, drafting and negotiating trade agreements with countries outside the EU etc,. and we will be losing on the deal.

So we'll still have the immigration, still be paying into the EU, but will have zero input into its rules and regulations on trade and products etc., though our industry will be bound by them.
Clever, eh?
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

mercalia wrote:Then there should be Brexit tax for those companies to pay

'Brexit tax' should be paid by those who voted to leave. They keep saying it's a price worth paying, so they should pay it.
syklist

Post by syklist »

Flinders wrote:quote="mercalia"]
Then there should be Brexit tax for those companies to pay

'Brexit tax' should be paid by those who voted to leave. They keep saying it's a price worth paying, so they should pay it.[/quote]
+1
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Back of the envelope suggests that's £4000 per head for the 17.4m just to pay for the £59bn faff/farce of leaving.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Graham

Post by Graham »

Brexit simplified :-

EU proposes to UK :-
We see that you value highly the ability to control the movement of people.
How much are you going to pay us to waive the principle of free movement of people ?

10 billion per year ?

15 billion per year ?

Kerching !! . . .. . problem solved . . . . and they all lived happily ever after :wink:
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Maybe those that voted to stay should have to pay a "Get over it" tax and just move on ....... :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Woah, hold on, how can this be? We are a vital trading partner and they will pretty much be paying us to trade with them.

I know that this must be true because I heard a politician say so.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

It's looking more and more likely we'll be members of the EU in all but name. This is, presumably, the government's cake and eat it strategy - we''ll have left so that should satisfy the leavers and nothing much has changed so that should satisfy the remainers.
A win-win situation.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

But with the result of being in a worse situation than we are now, with far less influence over the rules.

I suspect there will be some pretty disgruntled folk on both sides if that ends up being the final result.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Stevek76 wrote:But with the result of being in a worse situation than we are now, with far less influence over the rules.

I suspect there will be some pretty disgruntled folk on both sides if that ends up being the final result.

No point in leaving then is there?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
syklist

Post by syklist »

Stevek76 wrote:But with the result of being in a worse situation than we are now, with far less influence over the rules.

The political situation here. The people voted not to join the EU but the government joined the EEA instead.

So Norway has chosen to implement EU rules and regulations while it has no power to influence the direction the EU is taking, well apart from being able to comment on regulations and laws when they are proposed. But perhaps that is a moot point as a country of 5 million inhabitants would never be able to compete in the influence stakes with a Germany or UK.

But yes, Brexit is a dog's breakfast of a political process. If you can call it a process at all. More like "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." GBS. For some reason that quote sums it up for me.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

pete75 wrote:

No point in leaving then is there?

There never was...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.