Failed bike mount - advice

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
AMC

Failed bike mount - advice

Post by AMC »

At some expense I bought an Armor-X bike mount & waterproof case from the U.S. for my new mobile phone to use OS maps on tour. I chose it & paid the extra money as I wanted a really reliable product. Unfortunately the instructions made no mention of an orange plastic locking device which (it turns out) you're supposed to jam into the bike mount to prevent the mounted phone coming out. (I received a large number of objects in the package so didn't notice this little clip particularly.) I fitted it exactly as instructed & the phone seemed to mount ok. However, the phone fell off & was completely destroyed in my bike wheel. Luckily this was whilst winching slowly uphill, & not on a fast descent where it could have caused a horrible accident.

I contacted Armor-X with pictures of the now unusable phone, offering to send them back the mounting bracket for them to check as I assumed it was faulty, & asking them to replace my new mobile phone. They seemed to immediately know what the problem was & asked if I'd used the locking device. They offered to reimburse me the cost of the mounting kit, but not the phone. I then sent them the instructions which had no mention of any locking device & reiterated my hope that they would compensate me for the phone. I then couldn't get them to reply for some time, so tweeted them, upon which they sent me a copy of a different set of instructions which did include use of the locking device, (as if this was in any way useful or relieved them of their responsibility.)

I have heard nothing from them since, & am wondering what to do. I've filed a case with the Federal trade Commission in the States, but don't have any great hopes of this being successful. I also checked their terms & conditions, these make no mention of using a locking device (and, to be fair, are a bit laughable as they basically abnegate themselves of any responsibility under any circumstances.) I'm unsure what else I can do, what with them being based in the States (or possibly Hong Kong - I can't find any other company information about them online which is a bit worrying) & subject to US legislature.

Anyone got any suggestions? I'm frustrated to say the least - it's not only cost me a lot of money & left me without a decent phone, but could have been really dangerous, & Armor-X are completely ignoring the problem.
Vorpal

Re: Failed bike mount - advice

Post by Vorpal »

There is guidance in US about consumer rights, from various sources.

https://www.cpsc.gov/home is one.
https://www.econsumer.gov/#crnt is for orders from abroad. Although it is mostly about scams, so if this is an item that is sold in the USA, the CPSC might be a better place to go.

There are also the Better Business Bureau and Bureau of Consumer Protection.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
AMC

Post by AMC »

I tried the Better Business Bureau but wasn't able to proceed as I couldn't find the parent company or any other details about Armor-X, which didn't fill me with confidence! But I'll have a look at the other two (the Bureau of Consumer Protection seems to be the same as the Federal Trade Commission who were easy to call via Skype & were helpful, although they haven't brought a case against them as yet. ) I might also go back to BBB, so many thanks for that information.
hamster

Post by hamster »

You are unlikely to get anything towards your phone - consequential loss is not normally covered.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I used to do business with various businesses in the US. Stopped in the end and would only deal with a UK agent as getting paid was very difficult. Like trying to pick up a wet bar of soap in the bath! Your chances of getting anywhere are pretty remote IME so just write it off to experience.
AMC

Post by AMC »

Hmm, I was afraid this might be the (depressing) case. Never mind, I'll try the other links without much hope & grit my teeth , fork out for a new phone & mutter a lot under my breath...thanks for the thoughts though, looks like I'm not alone though am disappointed by the consequential loss thing given the catastrophic failure of their product (at least without instructions.)
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

ambodach wrote:I used to do business with various businesses in the US. Stopped in the end .................

Yeah - well - look who they chose as their leader...................
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

AMC wrote:Hmm, I was afraid this might be the (depressing) case. Never mind, I'll try the other links without much hope & grit my teeth , fork out for a new phone & mutter a lot under my breath...thanks for the thoughts though, looks like I'm not alone though am disappointed by the consequential loss thing given the catastrophic failure of their product (at least without instructions.)

Good work [emoji106] And then let it go. Holding onto stuff is like holding onto a burning coal: Only you are going to get burnt. My biggest foible [emoji51]
AMC

Post by AMC »

Well, I appreciate all your support, I shall let go & chalk it up to something! I suppose I'd better let go of the carefully wrapped folded in half mess of shattered glass & plastic into the bin, although this feels like such a waste of precious & toxic metals. Maybe it can be recycled...
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It may still be possible to get redress, but I think it's likely to require more effort than it's worth financially.

The only open question, IMO, is whether you believe this is a safety issue, and of sufficient importance that the company should be required to take action (e.g. issue new installation instructions). If so, the CPSC can require them to do so. If so, I would not, yet discard the phone.

Also, phone should not be thrown in the bin, but taken to your local recycling centre.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
AMC

Post by AMC »

Yes, I did think it was a safety issue, & I suggested to Armor-X that they re-wrote their instructions to this end. (Or, given that they later sent me some new ones with the right information on, at least pack the correct ones for shipping.)

I wouldn't put a phone in the bin, but you know what I mean. I hope they can recycle the rare elements, I know some of them are pretty toxic.