Ban Politics from the forum

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Politics Too Contentious, Time to Stop!

Poll ended at 9 Dec 2016, 8:33am

No more political threads
50%
Politics behind a closed door, opt in only, largely unmoderated
50%

Total votes: 18

Psamathe

Re: Ban Politics from the forum

Post by Psamathe »

AlaninWales wrote:...If people are offended because some people are not aware of such issues then (a) these people are incredibly thin skinned and (b) they will never achieve universal understanding of what offends them, because they are too offended to explain!

And they'd probably best avoid TV (as they might catch a news and with what is going on in the world there is some really horrendous things to be upset about), avoid the radio (for the same reasons), avoid the Internet (well most places EXCEPT the CUK Forum!), etc.

Ian
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Yep keep up the good work.

We all feel a little sensitive to a post at times.

I just take a day off and when you come back, I some times find I am not a minority of "1" in my opinions.
And even if you are sill just "1" don't throw the toys out and stick your head in the sand.

In the same way some see the need to gang up an individual, the flip side is that seeing others do have a similar view opens people up to discuss, my advise is Don't ever sit at the back of the class room all the time you won't learn much.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

My preference would be for the overtly political stuff in the Tea Shop to be in its own sub section, failing that then I would pick no more political threads.
When you enter the Tea Shop sometimes you are inundated with political stuff and some of the overflow from them.

I do not care if others want to debate this stuff, even though people are getting upset with things they can do nothing about and all the frustrations that come out because of the basic frustration.

If there is no sub section my preference is for no more non cycling related political stuff.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

May I also remind forum users that our intent is to keep the forum 'family-friendly'.

That becomes hard to do when people are welcome to go bashing each other, name calling, etc. And impossible with a members-only area where anything goes.

I have no objection to ctreating a subforum of The Tea Shop for 'current affairs' or some such, but I would object vociferously to the creation of a 'no rules, no moderation' discussion area.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Look at the poll.
14 responses from the whole of the Cyclist"s Touring Club Ltd. membership ....
How pointless is all of this ....
Political forums are available on other platforms .........

And my change of mind has been as a result of engaging, reading and watching events published on here ...This is a Cycling Forum...

Facebook, The Guardian, Political Party sites, The Telegraph, The Independent, The Daily Mail .. et.al. are waiting for you with open arms ... go ... ......
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

landsurfer wrote:Look at the poll.

And my change of mind has been as a result of engaging, reading and watching events published on here ...This is a Cycling Forum...

Facebook, The Guardian, Political Party sites, The Telegraph, The Independent, The Daily Mail .. et.al. are waiting for you with open arms ... go ... ......

I don't know about Facebook or The Indie, but this is certainly more civil (and thoughtful) than The Guardian, Telegraph and Mail. As I said on another thread - this is a more manageable size.

If this goes, I doubt I'll take my opinions elsewhere. No great loss, perhaps, for me or the rest of you.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

The trouble with this poll is that it is a flawed self proving poll - answering either way implies you agree there is a problem, something we don't all agree with. Bit like asking ?a. Do you think I'm handsome or b. Do you think I'm clever?", no third option asking if I'm daft, etc. So some have abstained.

The only way of answering this poll is to support the point the original poster is trying to make, which isn't really a poll. When taking a poll, if you only offer the options you like then the outcome must be an answer you like !!

Ian
meic

Post by meic »

bovlomov wrote:

I don't know about Facebook or The Indie, but this is certainly more civil (and thoughtful) than The Guardian, Telegraph and Mail. As I said on another thread - this is a more manageable size.

If this goes, I doubt I'll take my opinions elsewhere. No great loss, perhaps, for me or the rest of you.

I would miss you. You always seem to have some gem that you pop out of a hat, something that I knew nothing about at all. Or a perspective that I hadnt noticed, you seem to have eyes and ears in low places. :lol:
Yma o Hyd
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

Psamathe wrote:

The trouble with this poll is that it is a flawed self proving poll - answering either way implies you agree there is a problem, something we don't all agree with. Bit like asking ?a. Do you think I'm handsome or b. Do you think I'm clever?", no third option asking if I'm daft, etc. So some have abstained.

The only way of answering this poll is to support the point the original poster is trying to make, which isn't really a poll. When taking a poll, if you only offer the options you like then the outcome must be an answer you like !!

Ian

Conversely if you support the status quo (as someone with a vested interest in perpetuating your collective 'We') and fail to recognise that something is wrong (in the face of many complaints to the contrary) then ANY poll result, or poll format will be the wrong poll for you.

Many respondents wish to see politics off the menu. That much is clear. You don't like that. That much is doubly clear. But if you adhere to your own principles of democracy then if a majority says 'no thanks' to political threads, you must respect that decision.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

SpannerGeek wrote:Conversely if you support the status quo (as someone with a vested interest in perpetuating your collective 'We')

This is where we diverge .... what the hell are you talking about !!!
please try English .. it's my second language but works for me ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

meic wrote:
Perhaps you can conscisely explain what is good about it?
We like it, it works.

Sorry, I should have made reference to this fabulous piece of self referencing prose!

The royal 'we'? It's hard to tell isn't it... :lol:
meic

Post by meic »

Yes my one solitary, lonely, voice to leave things as they are is certainly dwarfed by the massive seven who have voted to have politics banned from the forum.

That only leaves another 31,000 or so forum members to hear from.
Yma o Hyd
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

meic wrote: you seem to have eyes and ears in low places. :lol:

I've no idea what you mean by that. It sounds like an insult, but I'll take it as a compliment if you don't mind.

But to return the compliment, to this forum in general*: it's a good group. Even the annoying people here are mostly intelligent. Many have interesting specific knowledge, by trade or by hobby, to share. And most of all, because this is such a small forum, we are free from the corporate shills and astroturfers that plague bigger sites. I don't mind reading a post supporting Unilever pricing or Israeli settlements, but I like to think that the post isn't being created by a hired hand or a lobbyist.

None of you are lobbyists, are you? ...(thinks)...Who on earth would you be lobbying for?

* it doesn't seem right to name names.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

SpannerGeek wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian

Conversely if you support the status quo (as someone with a vested interest in perpetuating your collective 'We') and fail to recognise that something is wrong (in the face of many complaints to the contrary) then ANY poll result, or poll format will be the wrong poll for you....

No. You are asserting that "something is wrong" and seeking the opinions of others on the assumption "something is wrong". So you had two threads deleted but that does not mean "something is wrong". It's like a polling company at a general election asking if you are going to Vote Conservative or Labour to determine a result, but what about all the other parties (e.g. UKIP, Lib Dems, Greens, Independents, etc.).

In your own words you have decided the status quo is wrong and have only offered two choices to change things, you are not asking if others agree that something needs changing. In that regard it is not a "poll" but a self-confirmation exercise. And I have in posts offered several alternatives and agreed alternatives proposed by others that are not "your status quo" nor in your offered poll options!

Ian
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

All this reminds me of a certain vote in June this year. The result was about the same as this poll is now 53% for gone 47% for keeping.

Is this democracy at work?
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar