Cube bottom bracket

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
stecks

Cube bottom bracket

Post by stecks »

Hi all

I've been looking for an affordable CX bike with a threaded bottom bracket.

I was told today that the 2015 Cube Cross Race Pro is equipped with a threaded BB, but I can't find confirmation or otherwise on any of the spec sheets for this bike.

Can anyone advise please?

Appreciated

Peter
Brucey

Re: Cube bottom bracket

Post by Brucey »

I think it probably has a press-fit BB, just like cube have fitted to most of their other bikes in recent years.

In this photo

you can see the BB shell and it is very wide; too wide for a 68mm threaded BB, I'd say, with no sign of BB cups either.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
stecks

Post by stecks »

Thanks for that Brucey.

Really frustrated. Can't explain this irrational feeling I have about PF BBs. It is dominating my waking hours, and I suspect I am dreaming about it also...

For some reason I found a host of threads on forums where creaking BBs, premature and regular bearing failure (perhaps due to water ingress, either by jet washing, or ingress down the seat tube with no drain hole to for water exit), discussion about lazy manufacturers, wanting inexpensive solutions to fitting BBs, further debate about the elusive holy grail - the BB 'standard', debate about the merits of actually maintaining a bicycle, and just how little of this is done these days (present company excepted of course :wink: ), the expense of pullers, and pushers, and the lack of certainty that the BB 'standard' for which you just bought the tool for will be around in a couple of years time.

Others say they just ride their bikes and have never had any problems with PF30 or BB30.

One knowledgeable LBS chap thought SKY had requested that Pinarello fit threaded cups rather than the push fit or whatever they were proposing to supply.

I hear that sensible people are unhappy about having to pull and push BBs into frames, especially carbon frames, as the potential to ruin the frame is never far away...

...and yet this seems to be the only game in town?

I nipped into Bury to a nationwide emporium of bicycles, and was discussing BBs with, again, a very helpful chap. He said that he thought that the Cube Cross Race Pro was fitted with threaded BBs, and we pulled one out of the box, still wrapped in protected packaging. He leaned over to look and told me that it was definitely threaded, as he could see the 'splines' on one side of the BB.

I wasn't so sure, not having a PhD in BBs (only a Masters after reading all I could find this week) and spent a fruitless two hours combing the net for evidence of what BB Cube fit. It must be somewhere, but I couldn't find any reference.

Some said N/A, others just omitted any reference to BB, even the Cube site seems to have forgotten to mention the BB.

I wonder what warranty exists for the BB? One post said that the supplier looked, saw rust, and rejected the warranty claim as they were not covered for water damage.

I asked in Halfords (not about Cube, but about Boardman, who also use PF, and the told me that they replace them under warranty.

Is resistance futile? Should I just go with the Cube Collective...?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

OK I found this image too;

and blimey if I can't 'see splines' too!

so contrary to expectations, it looks like a threaded one!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
stecks

Post by stecks »

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thanks
newbury-cube

Post by newbury-cube »

I bought a Cube SL Road Race in March of this year, 2016 and with less that 2000 miles cycled on this bike, I also have a very creaky bottom bracket that will have to be replaced.
I've seen threads going back a few years with cube owners complaining about the same issue and yet it still seems to be a design fault.
Shame as I love this bike
I only use it to commute across London. 22 miles a day....... Really disappointed..
jasthemurf

Post by jasthemurf »

I have the same BB problem with an SL road race. Has anyone any feedback in this?
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

As far as I could see, their carbon models use a "Shimano press-fit" bb (BB86) while the alluminium ones use a threaded BB.
Problems with noise can be from many things, of which a "design fault" is unlikely. More likely, is the bad assembly done in the first place (most often there's barely 5 grams of grease in the whole bike) so no surprise if things start to make noise after a while. If we add the inclement weather those bikes are exposed to, and that most of them do never get cleaned and looked after, it's easy to see the problem is not in the design or quality, rather in the assembly or/and lack of care after.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

I have a twenty year old Thorn Nomad and have just replaced the bottom bracket.
The one St John's fitted was a traditional square tapered type with Hollow tech cranks.
I replaced it with a newer type Deore BB SM.
I have a Kinesis with similar Hollow BB that has just started to creak after two and a half years.
Is this going to be an ongoing plague?
I spoke to a bloke in a bike shop today who reckoned two and a half to three years was the life of a modern BB.
I am going to retro fit the old types just as soon as these wear out. I cannot stomach coughing up every three years.
I had a traditional BB fitted to an old Claud Butler some twenty five years ago and it never gave me an ounce of trouble