Introductions - tell us about yourself

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
peterm

Post by peterm »

Cornwall is beautiful but quite hilly.

It does get busy during the second half of July until the first week in September. Suggest you come May/June/early July or Sept/early October if you can.

There are many places to hire bicycles although not normally true road bikes more like hybrids.
bakewell72

Post by bakewell72 »

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum so I thought I'd introduce myself:

I'm a 36 year old bloke who's married, no kids, an engineer by trade, ride a Raleigh Dyna Tech 600 and live in the NW near Clitheroe. I'm friendly but don't really enjoy the 'full-on' attitude of clubs (if you know what I mean).

Relatively new to road riding but enjoying it loads (especially the Nick O'Pendle)!

Would like to meet with a cycling buddy or two for occasional rides. Drop me a line if you're interested!

Ta
Zailyn

Post by Zailyn »

Hi! I'm new.

I'm 22 years old (and feel very young now...) and hail from Göttingen, Germany - well, technically I hail from "it's complicated", as my childhood involves a lot of moving around in between Germany and the US, but this way is simpler - but have been studying in Edinburgh for nearly four years now. (Which should also make my occupation clear.) I'll be moving to Cambridge in a few months, though, and actually stumbled across this site while trying to find a map of hostels around the North Sea cycle route in England. Because really, how else is a dedicated cyclist to get their bike from point A to point B? ;) Wish I'd found it a bit earlier, as cycling in the UK has been its own form of culture shock and the people around me mainly went "you're cycling? Are you suicidal?" which wasn't a great help.

I come by the cycling honestly - since I am a lazy person at heart, I suspect I would not be all that much for cycling otherwise but my parents are both enthusiasts and I've been cycling everywhere since I was twelve. (Apart from one year where I walked everywhere, thanks to the wonders of close-to-campus accomodation, but ssh! You didn't hear that.) These days, I'm completely dependent on my bicycle - I can't imagine taking the bus like most of my coursemates do, walking takes far too long and I've still not gotten around to getting my driving license. I mean, I know it would be useful to have, but something in me just rebels at the prospect. Cars! Keep them away from me! At least I probably still have a few more years before using a bicycle as my only mode of transportation could become problematic.

I've not done much with tours in the last few years, partially because of the aforementioned laziness and partially due to not having any interested friends. I finally said "well, fine, in that case I'll do it by myself" and so the Edinburgh to Cambridge thing will be my first tour alone (also, the first one where I need to worry about things like accomodation myself) and my first one in the UK bar a few day trips. I did do a few with my family when I was younger, mostly a few days but one two-week trip from Göttingen up to Usedom.
sukuinage

Post by sukuinage »

Hi,

I'm somewhat the opposite of Zailyn as I am from the UK but am now living in the south of Germany. I'm getting into cycling more as my kids are getting to the stage where they can do a reasonable distance. I used to cycles loads when I was younger and have finally build up a decent road bike although I still use my (almost) 30 yo Peugeot Routier for commuting.
Marim

Post by Marim »

Judith

I work for HMRC administering Inheritance Tax (please, I've heard it ALL before....!!!)

Nationality:
English, I live in Nottingham

Personal Status:
Married with 1 daughter aged 16

Interests:
Loads.... but mainly travel and natural history.
Cycling:
I've just returned to cycling after many years, for fitness, and enjoyment of course. I commute to work most days, about 6 miles each way. What strikes me is how quickly my fitness and strength have improved - and it seems so painless compared to running!! Why don't more people do it?!!!
commuter world

Post by commuter world »

hi
new to the board
bristol born & bred, going to be commuting to work a few times a week, portishead to central bristol, just as soon as my cycle to work vouchers come through.
aiming for 3 times a week to start with & build from there.

not cycled since i was a nipper, last bike was a viking european, next one will be my first ever brand new bike so really looking forward to it, feel like a little kid again!

have been lurking & thanks for all the tips from everyone i've picked up so far
this is why events unerve me
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

marim welcome, we also do not know why more people do not cycle. Drive to a gym use an excersise bike drive home :? why?
commuter world I agree, a new bike does make you feel like a kid again.
Welcome to the best forum enjoy :D
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

Hello everyone!

I am very new to cycling, and have the evangelical zeal of the recently converted!

After joining our local junior cycling club - with my children - I found myself co-organising our local 'Five Miles to Fabulous', in Kentisbeare, Devon. And I'm wearing my sticker, even as I type! Many of us did about 8-10 miles .... told you I was enthusiastic!

We had about 10 women and girls turn up, including, Jen - our ride leader - and me - chief promoter! And we had tea at Coldharbour Mill in Uffculme.

I have now clocked up 6 rides in about 2 months: 8 miles to 13 miles and I am pleasantly surprised at how quickly my fitness levels have built up. Very encouraging.
MrsWildduck

Post by MrsWildduck »

Hello

Just thought I would introduce myself on here.......

I am Wildduck's long suffering wife.........
Sometimes a cycling widow due to Quackers!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hello, Mrs Wildduck!

I know someone called Burscough Girl!

Welcome to the forum.
Mick F. Cornwall
lesley weston

Introductions - tell us about yourself

Post by lesley weston »

Hi my name is Lesley and as you can see I lack the inspiration or expertise of an established online chatter - hence the boring use of my real name!

I would however like to introduce myself in the hope of finding someone local who can help a novice get fit enough to join a local club (hubbie, family, work colleagues, and friends not interested):

I am 50 years of age, work shifts as a mental health nurse in an acute unit in Birmingham. Spend time in my garden growing veggies and walking my dog. I travel to and from work on a brompton, the bus, and metro. The distance I cycle can be between 2 and 8 miles dependent on environmental factors, and time constraints. Am hoping to replace Brompton with a Dahon Cadenza when I can afford it (soon I hope!). Would like once this arrives to get out on my new bike on some very short easy rides ideally with someone there to support me - mechanically minded I am not and any trouble with my bike would send me into utter panic!

So, is there anyone up for such a challenge?

Lesley :oops:
diapason

Post by diapason »

Hi Lesley,

Welcome to the forum. I've done your job in the past in units in Bristol & Weston-s-Mud. I was the only cyclist on our unit and my colleagues thought I was sectionable - especially when I rode in for a night shift in the rain :? I'm in West Somerset, now so too far to join you for a ride, but good luck with the new bike. BTW - when you get your new bike, if you are selling the Brommie, please let me know -I'd very much like to get hold of a secondhand one!

Nigel
Advena ego sum in Terra
diapason

Post by diapason »

commuter world wrote:hi
new to the board
bristol born & bred, going to be commuting to work a few times a week, portishead to central bristol, just as soon as my cycle to work vouchers come through.
aiming for 3 times a week to start with & build from there.

not cycled since i was a nipper, last bike was a viking european, next one will be my first ever brand new bike so really looking forward to it, feel like a little kid again!

have been lurking & thanks for all the tips from everyone i've picked up so far

Good luck with the new bike and the commute. I used to live in Posset - back in the days when it was still a village (60's :oops: ). Hope your commute doesn't include Naish Hill :shock:

Nigel
Advena ego sum in Terra
lesley weston

Post by lesley weston »

hi,

thanks for the encouragement, my hubbie is trying to persuade me to sell the brommie but currently resisting as it has been something of an old faithful. If he persuades me i'll certainly give you the nod. interested to hear about your past - you'll know from experience then how stressful it can be and how therapeutic getting on the bike at the end of the shift is!

Lesley :o
stoatsngroats

I'm stoatsngroats..........

Post by stoatsngroats »

..an area I lived once, and another name for an old git...! :shock:

I'm a lorry driver, married, only 1 child despite trying for lots :shock: , renewed cycing interest, after L2B in 2006, and managing to get a slightly later start in the mornings, (now 4.30am not 3.00am! ). Still find the daily commute tough, due to the early start and strenuous effort required at work... :oops:

I have designs on completing a solo JOGLE next year, in August, using the 'Blue Peter' style of minimalist high-tech equipment.

The forum here is a fantastically civilised group, with excellent info, and I'll continue to dabble in gleaning what info I can to make my love of cycling more enjoyable.
Thanks in advance to you all.... :P