Horse badly spooked by inconsiderate bloke on a bike

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
boris

Re: Horse badly spooked by inconsiderate bloke on a bike

Post by boris »

I was loading my bike into my van 2 weeks ago near amber heights when a hose rider approached on the other side of the road. when she was 50 ft away she paused as a bmw 5series passed me at about 30mph and he gave her a 1second blast on his horn as he did so. Fortunately she has a very placid horse. Good job I did not have my bazooka with me.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Horses are "prey animals" and as such are geared to res[pond to threats.

There is an even bigger problem with recumbents where their low sleek shape is the profile of many predatory pieces.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Isle of With Randonnee a coupe of years ago.

Quite a busy hill as it was just after a stamping point

Group of us on recumbent trikes and a couple of "Roadies" decide that rather than slow the o the pace of the other cyclists, the path to take is between us and the verge

Never occurred that the reason we were a couple of feet out was that it was uneven, worn and deeply potholed.

Two seconds later both of the are lying on the verge as they had tried avoiding a large pothole, clipped the verge and come off

Totally unnecessary
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Cunobelin wrote:Isle of With Randonnee a coupe of years ago.

Quite a busy hill as it was just after a stamping point

Group of us on recumbent trikes and a couple of "Roadies" decide that rather than slow the o the pace of the other cyclists, the path to take is between us and the verge

Never occurred that the reason we were a couple of feet out was that it was uneven, worn and deeply potholed.

Two seconds later both of the are lying on the verge as they had tried avoiding a large pothole, clipped the verge and come off

Totally unnecessary

A sort of Darwin Award Honourable Mention....
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

durhambiker wrote:Do horses or there drivers need lights in the dark?

They generally rely for the most part on high-vis and reflective stuff all over the place- legs and body of rider and horse.

Most leisure riders avoid roads when it's dark, but some professional ones have no option- for instance, groups of racehorses going up to the gallops in the winter where they have to cross/use a road between the stables and the gallops, as racehorses have to be exercised early whatever the weather/light. The same goes for fog.
wicki

Post by wicki »

Horses are trainable so why are owners/riders not training them, as has been said here the cavalry trained their horses to ignore the sounds and sights of battle so why are they not being sufficiently trained to ride on the roads?
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

wicki wrote:Horses are trainable so why are owners/riders not training them, as has been said here the cavalry trained their horses to ignore the sounds and sights of battle so why are they not being sufficiently trained to ride on the roads?
Do I presume that as a cyclist who's been "trained" to ride on roads I presume close passes etc don't bother you.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

MikeF wrote:
wicki wrote:Horses are trainable so why are owners/riders not training them, as has been said here the cavalry trained their horses to ignore the sounds and sights of battle so why are they not being sufficiently trained to ride on the roads?
Do I presume that as a cyclist who's been "trained" to ride on roads close passes etc don't bother you.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

Even well trained horses have been known to get spooked on occasion, and how do you expect a horse to be trained to get used the road traffic without taking it out on the roads?
PhilWhitehurst

Post by PhilWhitehurst »

Cunobelin wrote:Horses are "prey animals" and as such are geared to res[pond to threats.

There is an even bigger problem with recumbents where their low sleek shape is the profile of many predatory pieces.

No bigger a problem than the usual horse / bike encounter it's all down to using your voice to key them know you're there and giving as wide a pass as possible.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Horses can be and are trained but not every horse can be trained to get used to traffic; or guns! I've seen a horse refuse to enter its own yard because in its absence a bag of silage had been delivered.

I think it's important that the rider also knows you're there. A startled rider is likely to lead to a spooked horse even though the horse already knows you're there and not a threat.