Miles-in-a-year record broken by Kajsa Tylen

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

Miles-in-a-year record broken by Kajsa Tylen

Post by mercalia »

"A cyclist has set a new world record for female riders by covering 32,326 miles (52,025 km) in 12 months.

Kajsa Tylen, 40, from Nottingham, broke Billie Fleming's 1938 record of 29,604 miles (47,642 km) on 24 November, but continued cycling until the end of the year."

88 miles/day every day :shock:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-38131533
Last edited by Graham on 2 Jan 2017, 10:10am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Resolving the mystery title
MikeF

Re: well beat this?

Post by MikeF »

Fantastic achievement. However she seems to have more than the three speed bike of Billy Fleming's and didn't ride in a skirt. Nor was it just in U.K.
I've cycled only 24 miles today - somewhat short of 88 miles/day :( and it's going to take me 10 years to do 32,000 at my current average!
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

However it might be a shortish lived record, as Amanda Coker is currently on course to set a new record beating not only the women's but the men's record.. aiming for 82,000 miles and is currently clocking up around 130+ miles per day. However not entirely convinced, might be within the letter of the law but seems to be doing it entirely on a closed circuit in Florida, with family and friends cheering her on and sometimes joining (pacing??) her for part of each days ride.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
andrewk

Post by andrewk »

A fantastic achievement of endurance but also indicative of an empty and pointless life.
PH

Post by PH »

I was there at the finish in Beeston (EDIT - That should be Breaston :oops: )yesterday. Not only a great achievement but done with such style. She is and will continue to be a great inspiration to many.
Last edited by PH on 1 Jan 2017, 3:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
PH

Post by PH »

eileithyia wrote:However it might be a shortish lived record, as Amanda Coker is currently on course to set a new record beating not only the women's but the men's record.

It's a different record, run under different rules, both great feats of endurance, though going round the same circuit day after day must take a lot on mental strength even if the cycling is easier.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

eileithyia wrote:However it might be a shortish lived record, as Amanda Coker is currently on course to set a new record beating not only the women's but the men's record.. aiming for 82,000 miles and is currently clocking up around 130+ miles per day. However not entirely convinced, might be within the letter of the law but seems to be doing it entirely on a closed circuit in Florida, with family and friends cheering her on and sometimes joining (pacing??) her for part of each days ride.

130 miles a day won't come close....
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

andrewk wrote:A fantastic achievement of endurance but also indicative of an empty and pointless life.
Eh! :? That could be said about so many things we do. There's a section on this forum for LEJOG and by the same token you might say that is pointless.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

MikeF wrote:
andrewk wrote:A fantastic achievement of endurance but also indicative of an empty and pointless life.
Eh! :? That could be said about so many things we do. There's a section on this forum for LEJOG and by the same token you might say that is pointless.

Not pointless, rather a motivation for many of us to cycle more, be fitter, get more out of life, save the NHS cash. :P

Seems to me that these marathon cyclists are even better role models than footballers or the singers and entertainers who died in 2016.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

why ? she just took a year off from work to do it and at 40 a good age to do it before age takes its toll? she visited many places in the process here and in the EU. NOW the person doing it around a track is another kettle of fish.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

mercalia wrote:

why ? she just took a year off from work to do it and at 40 a good age to do it before age takes its toll? she visited many places in the process here and in the EU. NOW the person doing it around a track is another kettle of fish.

+1.

I think Kajsa is an inspiration to us all, she's not a super fit athlete, just an ordinary rider who decided to devote a year of her life to doing something she enjoys. She has certainly encouraged me to get out and ride more.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Define what isn't an "empty and pointless life" and where the tipping point is between pointless and worthwhile.
Last edited by reohn2 on 1 Jan 2017, 2:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

PH wrote:I was there at the finish in Beeston yesterday. Not only a great achievement but done with such style. She is and will continue to be a great inspiration to many.

On behalf of an overseas forum member with a special interest in places called Beeston, can I check where the finish occurred? The link refers to Breaston.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

dont know about her being an inspiration though - 88 miles/day every day for a year I find depressing I can manage maybe 5 or 6 :lol:
PH

Post by PH »

thirdcrank wrote:
PH wrote:I was there at the finish in Beeston yesterday. Not only a great achievement but done with such style. She is and will continue to be a great inspiration to many.

On behalf of an overseas forum member with a special interest in places called Beeston, can I check where the finish occurred? The link refers to Breaston.

My error, Breaston indeed, though my excuse (Other than age) is that I also went through Beeston :oops: