Rain cape / Poncho

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Thiefaine

Rain cape / Poncho

Post by Thiefaine »

Hi everyone,

As in UK it is raining 98% of the year i ask this question .. :|

Do you know a fine cycling rain cape for brave the elements ?

Thanks
TrevA

Re: Rain cape / Poncho

Post by TrevA »

I bought a Carradice Pro cape in flouro yellow. The first time I used it, I remembered why we gave up using capes in the 1980s. Billowing in the slightest wind, a big puddle forming in front of you, blowing up at the back. I sold it to another forum user. I think the Carradice Duxback one is better, but I'm not prepared to spend the best part of £100 to find out.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
gaz

Post by gaz »

You may find some useful comments / links in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=102726
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I have the Carradice Duxback, teh extra large one - have had it now for about 6 months and havent used it maybe never will. I got it mainly as a portable tent to hide in if I am caught in the rain and there is no where to shelter. I dont see any point in riding when it is pelting down - that is for masochists - problem solved
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I have Rotrax cape. It is fairly thick, and therefore heavy, so it doesn't blow about as much as flimsier ones. There is a bit of info at the bottom of this page:
https://rotraxcycles.wordpress.com/category/cycle-attire/

As noted above, capes have significant drawbacks, but the Rotrax type is about as good as they get.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

I use a Carradice waxed cape every so often: uber unfashionable but it works as you get the benefit of the airflow under the cape so arrive non sweaty when it is warm and raining.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

I have a couple of lightweight rain capes one by Vaude and an unknown brand that I got from my LBS. Both have been OK and have suited me.
Pros:-
They are quick to put on/take off over whatever you are wearing including a back pack
Keep the tops of your legs dry as well
Less overheating
Cons:-
It is more difficult to give hand signals
Billowing in high winds can be a bit distracting/annoying
Could obscure a handlebar mounted front light

Both do a good job at keeping the rain out, you do have to watch for the duck pond that can form in front of you - it can empty over your legs if not careful. I would say good for utility/commuter cycling or taking on leisure rides as a quick to put on if rains unexpectedly. I wouldn't recommend for racing or mountain biking
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

I agree: that's a a good summary of the pluses and minuses.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
AaronR

Post by AaronR »

Plus one for the basic Vaude cape, has saved me from a soaking on numerous occasions, but is a bit billowy

Decathlon also offer a wide range, some designed for cycling, some for walking, and sized too, so you could find one thats a bit closer fitting to cut down on the two wheeled ghost impressions :)
Invicta Tourist

Post by Invicta Tourist »

Here's another forum member in favour of a waterproof cape to keep a cyclist dry during moderate to heavy rain. The cape I use is one of the old Pakit models, which isn't now made.

If I was looking for a new cape, I think I'd see whether Rotrax (please see earlier link from robc02) still make them. Would secondhand also be a possibility, through this forum or auction site?

I would avoid a cape which has sleeves. It can fit poorly and flap badly in the wind due to the excess flimsy material at the side.

I agree with the points made about the advantages of a cape and would also add that on a really cold day, a certain amount of heat stays under the cape and can help keep your knees warm 'n' toasty. Nice!
Tom_B

Post by Tom_B »

Some good summaries of the pros and cons of capes above.
I am a slowish commuter, utility cyclist and tourer and for me, the pros far outweigh the cons.
My Carradice Duxback is one of the best bits of outdoor kit I've ever bought. It is so cosy and comforting to put on, quite unlike a tight, clammy rain jacket. I take it on tour and it is ready in the bike shed for when the cycling day starts rainy.
I also have a Carradice Pro-route cape (the yellow one). It's not quite as nice to put on as the duxback and is a touch more flappy in wind but still keeps me dry. Most importantly, it folds reasonably small and fits neatly in the side pocket of a rear pannier.
Cheap, light, plasticky capes - the sort that go for a tenner or so at Argos or on ebay - fold up very small. They do the job ok but are flimsy, flappy, tear easily and can ride up on the back, making you look like Quasimodo (or so my wife says).

hth
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Invicta Tourist wrote:The cape I use is one of the old Pakit models, which isn't now made.

If I was looking for a new cape, I think I'd see whether Rotrax (please see earlier link from robc02) still make them.
Chalk and cheese. The original Rotrax cape was based on the old Lillywhite and Lewis cape which was PVC on cotton. Since about 1990 the cotton base has been removed. This makes the cape lighter and less bulky but it is a world away from the very light Pakit. I tried a Pakit when they first came out and found it way too light and it cracked like a sail in the wind. The Rotrax cape is heavy and sits around you with no cracking and little billowing. Far too heavy for many modern riders to consider, but one lives on top of my saddlebag. I think it has been several years since the Rotrax cape was last available - see several threads on this forum.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Since the linked earlier thread, I'm riding with a cheap Brick mate sometimes sold as Hornhill cape when I'm on my own. Works fairly well. It is too vulnerable to crosswinds and needs adjusting when it needs adjusting, so I still use hooded jackets and rain legs on group rides. My two group ride attempts with the cape have deterred me from retrying for now.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Thiefaine

Post by Thiefaine »

Thanks all for your reply.

About the Carradice Duxback, which size will be right for me ?
(i'm 175 cm= 5.74 ft tall and my top tube is around 60cm with Ergon GP5 grips)

As well, do you know the weight of this Cape ?

In France, there is the Cape lib' from Guy Cotten but i didn't find any feedback and it weights heavy 0.8 kg :shock:
https://www.lemoussaillon.fr/cape-lib-v ... -fluo.html

What do you thing about this cape ? (cape lib')

ps: I want to use my cape for travelling so there will be some days where it'll rain all the days, i'll prefer something reliable !
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Thiefaine wrote:About the Carradice Duxback, which size will be right for me ?
(i'm 175 cm= 5.74 ft tall and my top tube is around 60cm with Ergon GP5 grips)

As well, do you know the weight of this Cape ?
I am the same height as you and I would use a long one (super). According to the Carradice website the standard length (shorter one) weighs 820 gm. This is pretty much identical to my Rotrax cape. However I am not a fan of the Duxback colour or the hood. Personal preferences.
In France, there is the Cape lib' from Guy Cotten but i didn't find any feedback and it weights heavy 0.8 kg :shock:
https://www.lemoussaillon.fr/cape-lib-v ... -fluo.html
The reason it is so heavy for so little fabric is because it is treated cotton. Lack of side protection and a short front would make it a non starter for me. I believe this design has been commented on before in this forum.
I want to use my cape for travelling so there will be some days where it'll rain all the days, i'll prefer something reliable
Hence the need for a good heavy cape.