GPS Logger

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PH

GPS Logger

Post by PH »

Has anyone any experience or recommendations for a simple stand alone GPS Logger?
I've been using a Garmin Touring to validate some DIY Audax rides, it usually been fine but a couple of times hasn't. I'd like something simple as a back up, I've considered using a phone and may still do so, though that would involve a new phone. Really I'd like something that can be switched on at the start and forgotten about till the end, with a run time of at least 40 hours. I don't need or want tracking, or maps or routing, just a downloadable GPX track at the end of a ride. The problems with the Garmin may have been user error, one time it made no difference the other meant the ride didn't get validated, but was no big deal, but I'll be using this for some rides that are important to me and would like the assurance that I have a reliable back up. Thanks.
Paul Smith SRCC

Re: GPS Logger

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

How out of date is your phone, will it not work with Strava?
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
PH

Post by PH »

Paul Smith SRCC wrote:How out of date is your phone, will it not work with Strava?

It has no GPS, I think it would work with data but don't want to be spending money on that.
Paul Smith SRCC

Well if you do update to a Smartphone this thread (click for link) maybe of interest. Although the thread relates to using the phone instead instead of a stand alone GPS unit it could also simply be used to record the GPS data using Strava. You could also look at a basic small pocket GPS unit as they are far more about recording data than being used as a guide like your Garmin Touring.

I have the Garmin 810, I can see what you mean about wanting the reassurance of backing up data, they are inclined to conk out from time to time mid ride!
Member of the Pedal Club
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I use a logger for geotagging photos

After trying various different options I settled on a Garmin Foretrex 410

Simple reliable and runs of AAA batteries so no issues over battery life
PH

Post by PH »

Cunobelin wrote:I use a logger for geotagging photos

Thanks for that, simple and reliable are top of the list, but TBH that's a bit more than I was expecting to pay, though it also has more features than I need.
To save me repeating your mistakes, which other options did you try and what didn't work?
PhilWhitehurst

Post by PhilWhitehurst »

Take a look at GT600 tracker. You'll get 160 hours recording at 10 second interval.
Paul Smith SRCC

There are some USB sticks that may also be a consideration, especially if you are a minimalist 'cut my tooth brush in half' cycle tourer :wink:
Member of the Pedal Club
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Moto E 3rd generation, Osmand + app. Total cost £94. Screen and Wifi off. Will record your track for days and output a .gpx file.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
markfh

Post by markfh »

If all you are interested in is GPS logging it might be worth investigating using an Android phone with an app such as CycleDroid. This has the ability to keep logging a track with the screen off (which should reduce power consumption) and export a track in csv, gpx & kml formats. I have used it for logging rides of a few hours but have not checked the actual battery consumption. Once I have set it to record a track I press the "home" button to exit CycleDroid but leave the track recording running then turn the screen off and put the phone in the back pocket of my cycling jersey and leave it there till I finish my ride. Other things that may help on reducing battery consumption would be to see if it will run with the "phone" in aircraft mode, i.e. with all networks, wifi and bluetooth off. There are other android gps tracking apps that may also provide simple logging without other bells and whistles which are likely to increase power consumption and hence rduce battery life.
PH

Post by PH »

al_yrpal wrote:Moto E 3rd generation, Osmand + app. Total cost £94. Screen and Wifi off. Will record your track for days and output a .gpx file.

Al

Thanks for that, it may be the way I go, or I may even end up with both a logger and a new phone. When I google "Moto E 3rd generation" it comes up with a variety of phones, some with a larger screen than I'd like, do you have a link to the one you're recommending?
The risk with me using a phone is that I'd probably use it for other stuff (I wouldn't want to carry two) and either run the battery down or disturb the GPX track without meaning to. The advantage of a dedicated logger is that it's smaller and more robust, also that I could switch it on at the start, stick it in a saddlebag pocket and forget about it till I was home again.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

PH wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:I use a logger for geotagging photos

Thanks for that, simple and reliable are top of the list, but TBH that's a bit more than I was expecting to pay, though it also has more features than I need.
To save me repeating your mistakes, which other options did you try and what didn't work?

I am Apple based which limits my options....

I always used my bike or walking GPS over the years, from the SatMap through Garmin, but the additional bulk and issues with compatibility with the Mac limited their use, I also preferred an AA or AAA battery

I then went for a dedicated logger, the now unavailable AMOD :

Worked well enough, but lacked the sensitivity of the Garmins and although simple coding with the flashing lights sounds easy, knowing what mode you we re in and programming it could be difficult. It also recorded in NMEA which not all software deals with. I eventually had to bin it after several years when it just died

I also used a Sunto Ambit watch, but it was necessary to download the tracks, convert to GPX and then tag the photos

At the moment I use the Garmin Foretrex which I switch on in the morning and simply leave running.....

The other one I use is a dedicated Pentax GPS, that fits n the camera shoe. This writes direct to the original image saving a deal of software trickery later.

I actually bough this for Astro photography as it has a clever way of using the stabilisation software to stop star movement in night photos.

Finally software....

There is lots out there, and many free

AMOD used the Calf Trail software and I have remained with this. Particularly as you need to link the date and time on the camera accurately with that of the logger or you find that the mages are out of position. The Calf trail has a slide that allows you to correct this simply and quickly
Last edited by Cunobelin on 2 Jan 2017, 10:18am, edited 1 time in total.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Looking around the Moto E 3 seems to have been superceded by the Moto E3. Its similar, has better cameras, slightly bigger, and, has a higher resolution display with the same size battery. That means it wont last as long with the screen on. So, I dont really know?

S/H?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I have what looks like a USB stick - it's actually a GPS logger, and stays active for a good long while (IIRC it does over 24 hours), but can run with an external USB power input for genuinely silly run times if needed...

It's about a £30 Canway something or other.... If you want to borrow and test then I'm sure we can work something out postage wise.
It doesn't download GPX directly - But the software will export to GPX happily enough - or I'm sure GPSBabel would be able to handle it ...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
PH

Post by PH »

Thanks all, some interesting ideas. I'm guessing Bob's Canway is the same as the Canmore in the link from Paul. Google didn't produce much but what it did was mostly positive, negatives appear to be about software set up and there's info on how to overcome this. Reports suggest 30sec intervals and it'll last 2+ days, for £35 it seemed worth try, so I've ordered one. I've got a couple of months before I need it, so it'll get a proper testing before being relied upon, even then only as a back up.
Looking around at phones has made me want a new one anyway, I'll ask around workmates/friends/relatives see what Santa has bought them, my last couple have been Christmas castoffs...