How to travel the world with no money?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mercalia

How to travel the world with no money?

Post by mercalia »

How to travel the world with no money – by people who have done it

but

"The low point?
The moment that stands out was on day 16, just over two weeks in to my trip. I had been pushing my bike up the Ecuadorian Andes for four days; it was pouring with rain and I was extremely hungry. I had passed house after house of rejection: no one would help. Nothing. We reached a house and I fell to my knees in tears, begging the woman for help, even just her garden to put up my tent. She looked at me, looked at how desperate I was, the tears streaming from my face, and shook her finger. Nothing. I could do nothing and I felt like nothing. I dug deep to source any shred of energy or willpower to keep going."

seems real foolish to me ?

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/jan/02/how-to-travel-the-world-with-no-money-by-people-who-have-done-it?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=206713&subid=7646217&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
Bmblbzzz

Re: How to travel the world with no money?

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I think there are two basic philosophies of any sort of long journey that you don't have to make in order to be somewhere else; it's either for pleasure or to prove a point to yourself. Of course it's not binary and most tours and trips will encompass some elements of enjoyment and some of challenge for its own sake, but the balance will be one way or the other.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

One aspect to such travel is that, as a generalisation, those doing it are not doing it on "no money" but rather on other people's money in that they often are very dependent on the generosity of others and that makes me unsure/uncomfortable. I have even greater concerns when people from the "generally wealthier west" throw themselves on the generosity of the "generally not so wealthy developing countries".

And when somebody with residency rights to e.g. US/UK/EU (where most can get employment, food, etc.) throw themselves in desperation effectively begging knocking on doors in developing countries ... playing the "I'm starving ..." card I get a bit uncomfortable about things.

If I build a bike for free from a skipped (literally) frame and recovered discarded/repaired broken parts then I am using only resources that had been genuinely discarded so the "no money" becomes valid.

Things like hitching, etc. are not the issue, it's more when it comes to things that do cost money and which then have to be paid for by others.

And then I wonder about the "no money" when one of those in the report writes "I had two days to get to Poland for my flight". Flights cost money. somebody has to pay (normally - even if it's done on AirMiles, still be paid for indirectly).

Ian
pwa

Post by pwa »

Yes, how to beg your way around the World. Either that or you somehow earn a living as you go.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

pwa wrote:Yes, how to beg your way around the World. Either that or you somehow earn a living as you go.

+1
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
delilah

Post by delilah »

It makes my blood boil!
Rich Westeneres travelling to third world countries and expecting to live off their generosity.
I travel to such places to experience their culture but do not expect to sponge off them.
They've obviously spent a considerable sum to get there and on their gear but then expect to take rather than give anything back to the communities.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

HRH used to be ace at it :wink:
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
khain

Post by khain »

Interesting that the article provoked such negative comments.

Going to another country with no money, just for a life experience, is pretty selfish and stupid. And the crying girl talked about ultralight gear and goretex gloves so I didn't get the impression she was poor. She just seemed like a self-promoting idiot.

At the same time, we don't actually know that these people are all rich and privileged, which seemed to be a common source of criticism. They may be extremely poor and have saved for ages for the flight. The fact that Britain is a rich country doesn't mean that everyone in Britain is rich, nor that everyone living in poorer countries is poor.

Bikes can be acquired cheaply and the cost of a flight is much less than a month's rent in Britain. If you just take a tent and earn meals like one of the people in the article talks about, rather than begging, I don't see a problem. In fact, I think it's important that such opportunities exist, and that people take advantage of them, otherwise we're just rent and debt slaves, which in Britain we are fast becoming.
doodah

Post by doodah »

What about this fella then? Admittedly not a cyclist and definitely not a scrounger.

One is perhaps inclined to think that given the right contacts, then the political and admin obstructions would have been removed. No knighthood for him I guess - hope I'm wrong. Bet it wouldn't bother him either!!

Oops, feel a class war and rant coming on.

https://vimeo.com/124000003

Stuff on YouTube as well.
doodah

Post by doodah »

Marvellous - the clip wont upload.

EDIT Sorry folks, it does upload. My mistake. Go back and try again.

His name is Karl Bushby - Google him - it's worth a squint.

Doodah
Last edited by doodah on 7 Jan 2017, 5:06pm, edited 2 times in total.
irc

Post by irc »

khain wrote:Interesting that the article provoked such negative comments.

Going to another country with no money, just for a life experience, is pretty selfish and stupid. And the crying girl talked about ultralight gear and goretex gloves so I didn't get the impression she was poor. She just seemed like a self-promoting idiot.

Perhaps not such an idiot. Contact on her website is a PR agent. She is sponsored and is looking get on TV -
Laura is sponsored by Madison bike UK, Gore clothing and Rab mountain equipment. She is filming her adventure and working alongside Tigress Productions in Bristol in order to get a broadcaster to commission her brave and extraordinary journey.

http://www.laurabingham.org/about-me/
ipswichcycler

Post by ipswichcycler »

I agree with people's comments but i did enjoy "Free Country" by George Mahood. Lejog with no money, bike or even clothes although I think they started with pants!! No exploitation involved
khain

Post by khain »

Oh, I've no doubt she is isn't stupid and has a talent for self promotion. Perhaps buttock-orifice is the word I was looking for rather than idiot.

I say everyone on this forum turns up outside her house and asks for a meal and to camp in her garden, and film her reaction. Invite people from the countries she's travelled in too.

Fair's fair.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

:)

good post.
Sweep
khain

Post by khain »

A more practical suggestion is to write to and boycott her sponsors and give them hell on social media.

It's obscene that companies like Rab and Gore are sponsoring someone to go begging in places where most people could not dream of affording their products.

Also, despite what I said earlier, if you're touring in the developing world with camping gear, surely the cost of food and shelter would be pretty minor compared to flights, visas, insurance and equipment. It's ridiculous to claim this is 'travelling the world with no money'. It's a shame newspapers like the Guardian are reduced to this sort of clickbait headline. It does cycle tourists no good either.