Extreme gloves/overshoes circulation issues...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
alexhore

Extreme gloves/overshoes circulation issues...

Post by alexhore »

So I have upgraded from commuting to long weekend rides and picked a darn cold day for the second ride out yesterday.

I managed 60miles in the end but a section of 20 miles at -3C nearly cost me my toe. Believe it or not the only place I could find some liners for my gloves mid-ride was Tesco and they were extra heavy duty black marigolds I kid you not. What an experience!

A mate was riding and his kit wasn't much more special than mine and he had no issues. I have always suspected I have had circulation issues as I need gloves running for half the year so here is the question...

Can someone recommend the absolute warmest gloves and overshoes, especially if you have circulation issues yourself and have survived sub 0 for a long ride. They really would be kept on the shelf reserved for super cold days.

Currently looking at:
dhb Extreme Weather Neoprene Overshoe
dhb Extreme Winter gloves
Sealskinz Highland Gloves

Not fussed about touchscreen.
Would prefer not to ware lobster gloves
Tend to avoid days with high chance of high rain
Obviously don't want to blow the bank but would rather not loose a toe!

Thanks for your help in advance
NUKe

Re: Extreme gloves/overshoes circulation issues...

Post by NUKe »

if the extremities are getting cold, don't naturally assume you need bigger thicker gloves socks etc. Core temperature plays an important part of keeping the extremities warm. Do you have a good base layer top and bottom? is your outer layer wind proof.

Other thing to watch out for are shoes that are too tight and in fact overshoes will exacerbate this. And whilst overshoes are great for keeping the draft out of shoes they do nothing for the big heat sink i.e. the cleat on the bottom. The best thing for the feet (apart from a good base layer) is not to have cleats either winter boots which isolate the cleat from the foot, or to use flat pedals and warm shoes. Similarly winter gloves that are too tight are useless. No matter how much padding they have.
NUKe

Post by 100%JR »

Try the "Lobster" type gloves.
My mate has tried everything and he bought a pair from Aldi for £7 as a longshot and they seem to have solved it!
They take a little getting used to and look a bit weird but they work!

I've removed the insole from my shoes,wrapped in several layers of cooking foil then carefully cut around the insole so that the foil is the perfect shape to go under the insole.You can then flip the bit from the top of the insole and use it in the other shoe.
This along with Merino Wool socks and Neoprene overshoes seems to do the trick.I've done this for years when MTBing and it works for me down to -12...which is about as low as it gets here.
Last edited by 100%JR on 3 Jan 2017, 12:28pm, edited 2 times in total.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I suffer from Raynauds and feel your pain (literally!). As I commute through winter, I've tried quite a few ideas.

My current "hand solution" is the planet X crab claw glove. Despite your preference, for me they're sufficiently better than fingered gloves to make them worth it. And ridiculously cheap.
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/PXLGWL/pla ... nter-glove

Additionally, on really cold days, I use Gore inner liners too - these I would highly recommend as they're thin enough to go inside *any* glove and make much more difference than you'd expect.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear- ... rgloves-1/

For below zero days I add an additional pair of these as extra liners. Also arm warmers overlapping the gloves as well as whatever tops I've got on - the extra wrist coverage makes a difference.
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXHWG17/ ... glove-2017

If all else fails, you could try "hot pogies" - there are some threads on here about those. I've not gone there yet, but am tempted to try them.

For feet, I'd recommend any neoprene overshoe. I've used a few and I don't think it makes much difference which. Add a thick sock inside, and I think you'll keep feet warm under pretty much any cyclable conditions.
alexhore

Post by alexhore »

Interesting points Nuke, I had a compression base layer on I use for running, a short sleeve top and a gilet. My arms don't seem to get cold but clearly this was probably a bad move. I suppose the arms still need to be kept warm to keep the blood warm to the hands. On a side note they were raging hot with the marigolds on but that is no surprise

The shoes are a good fit but I'm in the habit of over-tightening them most likely as I like the bolted down feeling but I had the same thought and I did loosen off the shoes half way round. When I removed the shoes there was a clear white area starting with the little tow and down the outside suggesting the wind chill had done it but then also now you mention it the bottom of the foot was white too and although I had two pairs of socks on they were basic cotton jobs so maybe ill need to look into that.

Thanks for opening my eyes to all the other factors at play!

Thanks BrianFox, my symptoms are identical and I looked into this years back but its only triggered by the cold. Probably something I could get diagnosed for but little point since a regular person will suffer if cold enough eventually, I just know I cant get as cold as others.
foxyrider

duplicate

Post by foxyrider »

Last edited by foxyrider on 3 Jan 2017, 5:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Lobsters and mitts keep your hands warmer because your fingers aren't separated individually. Add some wind proofing and your hands should be toasty - ski mitts are brilliant and quite cheap from Decathlon. I've now got a whole spectrum of hand warming from summer mitts through to extreme mitts which are loose enough that I can add liners if need be.

For feet, winter boots are a marvel - much better than overshoes. Suitable socks of course, thermal insoles. If it got really cold layer with some thin overshoes wouldn't hurt but thick neoprene will constrict your feet which is bad, you need a bit of air space and a looser fit allows for better blood flow.

Keeping your core temperature up is essential on longer rides, you can quickly get hypothermic, thin layers are better than one thick one - again we are trapping air which helps insulation.

Don't forget your head - I use a ski band under an acrylic ski hat most of the time - keeps the tabs warmish, if it drops further a silk balaclava is the base layer for the bonce. Oh and glasses to keep the cold out of your eyes, it's no fun having frozen tears!

Keep warm and enjoy your rides
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
AaronR

Post by AaronR »

Years of riding all year and in all conditions on motorbikes there is no substitute for neoprene, and the lobster type mittens are brilliant

Neoprene gloves designed for watersports are designed to give you unrestricted hand use so may be worth a look? I treated myself to a £3.50 pair of winter cycling gloves from Aldi and they have been great, yet to see if they are waterproof as claimed

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/neoprene-sa ... 44636.html
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Keep the limbs warm first, it helps.
I suffer from overwarm feet (wear sandals all year) have sweating hands if too thick gloves when riding.

Medication can have that effect, I am suffering a problem at the moment, when I exercise no problem but when I am not working hard I suffer, it might be age creeping up on me (58).
But wearing thicker trousers help keep my feet warmer when sitting around at home.

My feet get agitated by synthetic socks, you could try different materials for socks not different designs / thickness.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
whoof

Post by whoof »

In the same way layering works for the rest of the body I also find it really good for the hands and feet.

If it's really cold I scrunch a layer of aluminium foil over the toes of my shoes. Then a pair of wind stopper overshoes with a slightly fleecy lining. Over these I have a pair of neoprene overshoes which are a size too big. I find this doesn't squash my feet up like wearing thick socks in shoes which otherwise fit well which would then restrict circulation.

I wear a pair of really thin running gloves and then a pair of winter gloves over these.

As mentioned above I would also make sure that the rest of me was well wrapped up as well.
oldroadrunner

Post by oldroadrunner »

I started a thread about battery heated gloves a few months back but no-one responded. I thought it was perhaps worth resurrecting on this thread http://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=109277.
I didn't get round to buying them but would be interested if anyone has tried them or can add anything useful.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

BrianFox wrote:I suffer from Raynauds and feel your pain (literally!). As I commute through winter, I've tried quite a few ideas.

My current "hand solution" is the planet X crab claw glove. Despite your preference, for me they're sufficiently better than fingered gloves to make them worth it. And ridiculously cheap.
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/PXLGWL/pla ... nter-glove

Additionally, on really cold days, I use Gore inner liners too - these I would highly recommend as they're thin enough to go inside *any* glove and make much more difference than you'd expect.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear- ... rgloves-1/

For below zero days I add an additional pair of these as extra liners. Also arm warmers overlapping the gloves as well as whatever tops I've got on - the extra wrist coverage makes a difference.
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXHWG17/ ... glove-2017

If all else fails, you could try "hot pogies" - there are some threads on here about those. I've not gone there yet, but am tempted to try them.

For feet, I'd recommend any neoprene overshoe. I've used a few and I don't think it makes much difference which. Add a thick sock inside, and I think you'll keep feet warm under pretty much any cyclable conditions.

I have reynauds too, for my hands i have resorted to poggies /bar mitts i found on ebay for £14 , they did take over a month to come ;( but they do keep my hands warm I wear a thin pair of full finger gloves too and so far they have been brilliant.
On my feet i ahve yet to find a pair of shoes that work as i have wide feet as well so i resort to sarnie bags over toes then toe covers with overshoes on top of those .
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
Lilyf

Post by Lilyf »

I suffer with Raynaud's and the only way I can ride my bike in the colder months is by taking medication (from November until April!)
I also wear two pairs of gloves,very thick socks (or two thinner pairs) and thick overshoes.
It doesn't stop me getting cold hands and feet but it does help.
I also make sure my body (core temp) is kept warm too.
The tablets I take, and have done for about 25 years, are Coracten SR capsules 10mg (nifedipine). They are only available on prescription. I take one every morning (don't need them at night so don't take one).
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Raynauds-p ... tment.aspx
Without them I'd be stuck in the house for 6 months of the year!
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Keep moving your fingers and toes to keep the circulation going in your extremities. Even if you have the best hand and footwear, once the circulation is withdrawn your hands and feet will be cold.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I've used chemical foot warmers a few times on really cold rides. Just stick them on top of your socks (under foil, if any). I got mine cheaply at B&M. They last 4 - 6 hours and can be refreshed a bit when you stop by shaking/scrunching them a bit to let more air to them to continue the reaction. They were good.
I have hand warmers too but they have to be put in mitts - and use liner gloves to avoid burning. I'm not sure if they would burn but wouldn't take any risks.