Artistic cycling in the UK?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
landsurfer

Re: Artistic cycling in the UK?

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:.......I possibly take the skills route as i am artistically incompetent. I can design but not create.....

By who's criteria?

Mine ......
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote: Mine ......

Yours is being challenged :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Si

Post by Si »

All sport is judged on a subjective level to some extent.

For instance, watch rugby union where the ref is fromthe opposite hemisphere and the commentators will soon start talking about one team benefitting from reading the ref's interpretation of the rules better than the other.

Or after any big football match that was decided by a ref's decision the arguments will go on fo ages.

Even with a trials comp it is down to the course creator's subjective view of what makes a good course - this may well end up favouring one competitor over another.

Just that some sports are a bit more honest about their subjectivity.....which in some ways can make them more objective.

The problem with artistic wotnotting is that many observers, especially outsiders, don't understand the marking system thus it can appear somewhat random.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Si wrote:All sport is judged on a subjective level to some extent.

For instance, watch rugby union where the ref is fromthe opposite hemisphere and the commentators will soon start talking about one team benefitting from reading the ref's interpretation of the rules better than the other.

Or after any big football match that was decided by a ref's decision the arguments will go on fo ages.

Even with a trials comp it is down to the course creator's subjective view of what makes a good course - this may well end up favouring one competitor over another.

Just that some sports are a bit more honest about their subjectivity.....which in some ways can make them more objective.

I agree simply races can be objective,100m sprint is totally without question,whereas say a 10,000m race with 'teams' involved can be subjective.

The problem with artistic wotnotting is that many observers, especially outsiders, don't understand the marking system thus it can appear somewhat random.

Agreed again and even someone who does know the marking system,the trained eye of a focused and well positioned judge will see what the casual observer easily misses.
Thanks for technically brilliant photography and slo mo replays we can these day appreciate the brilliance and art of the athlete
W H Auden
peetee

Post by peetee »

Does this count?
adri van de pol.jpg
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

It's pretty impressive. I think it might be better called Gymnastic Cycling rather than Artistic Cycling. Or perhaps even Cycling Gymnastics as it seems to have more in common with gymnastics than cycling. The skill, balance, coordination and strength of the people doing it is brilliant.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

peetee wrote:Does this count?adri van de pol.jpg

No that's an artist's impression of cycling
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bmblbzzz wrote:It's pretty impressive. I think it might be better called Gymnastic Cycling rather than Artistic Cycling. Or perhaps even Cycling Gymnastics as it seems to have more in common with gymnastics than cycling.

I think it's everything to do with cycling and gymnastics,Artisitic Gymnastic Cycling could be a description :wink:
The skill, balance, coordination and strength of the people doing it is brilliant.

I agree,I find it amazing much in the same way I find trick skateboarding and BMX,the skill and art can be breathtaking IMO :) .
W H Auden
peetee

Post by peetee »

It's a cyclist and artist who understands the suffering etched across Mr Van Der Pol's face.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

peetee wrote:

It's a cyclist and artist who understands the suffering etched across Mr Van Der Pol's face.

Which amounts to the same thing,surely.
W H Auden
peetee

Post by peetee »

Maybe. I can't speak for all artists but I suppose if they can do their job right then it's all down to the beholder.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

peetee wrote:Maybe. I can't speak for all artists but I suppose if they can do their job right then it's all down to the beholder.

That's art,we may all see it differently if only slighty but it can be many things to different people and also unexplainable too,a feeling maybe.
However we're straying well off the OP.
W H Auden
Peter E

Post by Peter E »

My name is Peter and I have been a trainer for artistic cycling for about 14 years. I would like to help you if you are still interested please contact me.
Peter E

Post by Peter E »

My name is Peter and I have been a trainer for artistic cycling for about 14 years. I would like to help you if you are still interested please contact me.