Lincoln Grand Prix 2017

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Geoff_N

Lincoln Grand Prix 2017

Post by Geoff_N »

Anyone with experience of this event?

Son is keen to go for it as he lives in Nottingham so not far to go. He did the Cymru Etape 2 years ago and fancies another event. Any observations please?
freeflow

Re: Lincoln Grand Prix 2017

Post by freeflow »

It is typical of a commercial sportive. The cost has gone up over the years whilst the benefits have reduced (i.e. number of stops and quality of provisions at stops). Last year there was an almighty snafu as the organisers originally got the wrong weekend, then changed the date using the same venue as a group who had organised an alternative sportive on the weekend of the race. My recollection of the last segment into Lincoln is that it is a bit boring and that if it is wet/damp then getting up Michaelgate can be a bit tricky due to all the other people slipping on the cobbles.
Geoff_N

Post by Geoff_N »

Oh dear that's off-putting.
He's looking forward to the cobbles and commutes every day in Nottingham no matter the weather.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Some information here if you would like to unpick it:

http://road.cc/content/news/171070-two- ... -same-time
Geoff_N

Post by Geoff_N »

Thanks for that, keyboardmonkey, but that was in 2015. I assume the two companies have fought a duel since and so the 2017 event will have just the one organiser!
RickH

Post by RickH »

Looks like the rival factions have kissed & made up with the sportive being still run (or run once more - I don't know what happened in 2015 & 2016) by ITP Events under the umbrella of the Lincoln Festival of Cycling

The Lincoln Grand Prix and ITP Events have joined forces to create a unified programme of events scheduled to take place on 12, 13 and 14 of May 2017. (Link)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.