Trump's response to Meryl Streep's speech....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Trump's response to Meryl Streep's speech....

Post by reohn2 »

....at the Golden Globe awards.
Why didn't he just not respond?
Is his ego so big that he can't see the idiocy of his 'tweet'(I really wanted to write 'trump')?
Is this worth discussing?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Re: Trump's response to Meryl Streep's speech....

Post by mercalia »

he is the sort of guy who has to say some thing about everything?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:he is the sort of guy who has to say some thing about everything?

Isn't that his problem?
And potentially the problems he's capable of causing throughout the world because of that?
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mark Hamill, who has been the voice of the Joker for many Batman animated productions, has started tweeting sound bites of him reading Trump's tweets in the Joker's voice. https://audioboom.com/posts/5471405-the ... er-quote-1
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

reohn2 wrote:....at the Golden Globe awards.
Is his ego so big that he can't see the idiocy of his 'tweet'(I really wanted to write 'trump')?

Careful. He will be tweeting 'that reohn2 can't cycle for toffee.'
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

reohn2 wrote:
mercalia wrote:he is the sort of guy who has to say some thing about everything?

Isn't that his problem?
And potentially the problems he's capable of causing throughout the world because of that?

Could you please expand on where you have got your obviously secret information as to world problems he is capable of causing. I would have thought many of those millions, probably more knowledgeable about their homeland than any of us, regard his non-political approach as to be giving solutions.

As a democratically elected President I would assume he is entitled to comment on personal attacks. There are some however who cannot accept democratic electoral decisions because it doesn't fit their ideology.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
PH

Post by PH »

bikepacker wrote: I would have thought many of those millions, probably more knowledgeable about their homeland than any of us, regard his non-political approach as to be giving solutions.

Yet even more of them voted for the evil, conniving, criminal Clinton.
Si

Post by Si »

Mike Sales wrote:
reohn2 wrote:....at the Golden Globe awards.

Careful. He will be tweeting 'that reohn2 can't cycle for toffee.'

So he does tell the truth once in a while then :lol: :lol: :twisted:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bikepacker wrote:Could you please expand on where you have got your obviously secret information as to world problems he is capable of causing. I would have thought many of those millions, probably more knowledgeable about their homeland than any of us, regard his non-political approach as to be giving solutions.

My point is if he can't see how childish his remarks are against someone who is a very fine actress by any stretch of the imagination,he has a serious egotistical disorder,and I suspect I'm not alone in my suspicions of such a disorder
Carry that kind of idiotic retort into world diplomacy and there's potential for problems.

As a democratically elected President I would assume he is entitled to comment on personal attacks.

He has that right,but what's being questioned is the wisdom of the use of that right and how it makes him look childish as someone who's determined to get their own back by trying to belittle someone who he's making stupid and erroneous comments about,while the whole world looks on.
Whereas the personal attack he made about a disabled journalist that Merryl Streep refers to is a perfectly reasonable assessment of all that's wrong with this man's character.
This is part of her speech which is relevant:-
“There was one performance this year that stunned me — it sank its hooks in my heart,” Ms. Streep said. “Not because it was good; there was nothing good about it. But it was effective and it did its job. It made its intended audience laugh, and show their teeth.

“It was that moment when the person asking to sit in the most respected seat in our country imitated a disabled reporter,” she said, referring to a speech by Mr. Trump in 2015 when he shuddered and flailed his arms, seeming to mock a disabled reporter for The New York Times. “It kind of broke my heart when I saw it, and I still can’t get it out of my head, because it wasn’t in a movie. It was real life.”

A short video of what she's referring to can be found here:- http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 17026.html

There are some however who cannot accept democratic electoral decisions because it doesn't fit their ideology.

Oh! I accept his presidency even though it doesn't fit my ideology,I don't have a choice I'm not a US citizen.
But there are some who can't see the huge hole in the US democratic process,that someone with 2million votes less than the other candidate becomes the US president :?
Not that I'm a fan of either candidate but as you brought up the question of demockracy*.....

*sorry,could resist :wink:
Last edited by reohn2 on 9 Jan 2017, 5:05pm, edited 2 times in total.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Si wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:Careful. He will be tweeting 'that reohn2 can't cycle for toffee.'

So he does tell the truth once in a while then :lol: :lol: :twisted:

He would indeed be right as my cycling in 2016 could have been measured in hundreds(and not many of those TBH)rather than thousands of miles :?
W H Auden
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

What did she say? And what did the twit do in response?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Not very presidential.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I'm not going to enter this debate, but I'm with r2. Trump appears to think like a wild-west gunslinging gangster - a cowboy. I think that either someone will assassinate him, or we'll all be sorry.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I wish him every success, i really do, but those tweets were really rather childish in nature.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
bikepacker wrote:Could you please expand on where you have got your obviously secret information as to world problems he is capable of causing. I would have thought many of those millions, probably more knowledgeable about their homeland than any of us, regard his non-political approach as to be giving solutions.

My point is if he can't see how childish his remarks are against someone who is a very fine actress by any stretch of the imagination,he has a serious egotistical disorder,and I suspect I'm not alone in my suspicions of such a disorder
Carry that kind of idiotic retort into world diplomacy and there's potential for problems.

As a democratically elected President I would assume he is entitled to comment on personal attacks.

He has that right,but what's being questioned is the wisdom of the use of that right and how it makes him look childish as someone who's determined to get their own back by trying to belittle someone who he's making stupid and erroneous comments about,while the whole world looks on.
Whereas the personal attack he made about a disabled journalist that Merryl Streep refers to is a perfectly reasonable assessment of all that's wrong with this man's character.
This is part of her speech which is relevant:-
“There was one performance this year that stunned me — it sank its hooks in my heart,” Ms. Streep said. “Not because it was good; there was nothing good about it. But it was effective and it did its job. It made its intended audience laugh, and show their teeth.

“It was that moment when the person asking to sit in the most respected seat in our country imitated a disabled reporter,” she said, referring to a speech by Mr. Trump in 2015 when he shuddered and flailed his arms, seeming to mock a disabled reporter for The New York Times. “It kind of broke my heart when I saw it, and I still can’t get it out of my head, because it wasn’t in a movie. It was real life.”

A short video of what she's referring to can be found here:- http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 17026.html

There are some however who cannot accept democratic electoral decisions because it doesn't fit their ideology.

Oh! I accept his presidency even though it doesn't fit my ideology,I don't have a choice I'm not a US citizen.
But there are some who can't see the huge hole in the US democratic process,that someone with 2million votes less than the other candidate becomes the US president :?
Not that I'm a fan of either candidate but as you brought up the question of demockracy*.....

*sorry,could resist :wink:

The UK voting system is similar. At one election labour got more votes but the tories got more seats and all the power.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies