Steepest residential street?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Steepest residential street?

Post by thirdcrank »

The Beeb is asking for nominations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38568889
661-Pete

Re: Steepest residential street?

Post by 661-Pete »

There's Ffordd Pen Llech in Harlech. 40%. Been past it, but not been up it - on bike or by any other means. I would reckon that compared to it, Gold Hill in Shaftesbury (the 'Hovis Boy' street) would be a doddle....

[edit] Just noticed that the Beeb article said "England". Oh well.... :?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

Pah !

Come to the South Wales valleys and see some real hills :twisted:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Thinking a bit more - isn't there a road in Bristol that makes the claim? (*googles*) Yes: Vale Street, Totterdown, Bristol. Anyone been up it?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Defining residential streets might pose a problem. Does any road with any residences along it count, such as a country lane with a house half way up the hill, or should there be a minimum number of households per km of street, or a minimum proportion of street edge which borders residential property? Does a street bordered by residential property to each side, but where all the residences have their entrances onto other streets still count as residential?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Perhaps it should be defined as a road within a 30mph zone.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Steep Hill Lincoln? At least it has the right name.

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

661-Pete wrote:There's Ffordd Pen Llech in Harlech. 40%. Been past it, but not been up it - on bike or by any other means. I would reckon that compared to it, Gold Hill in Shaftesbury (the 'Hovis Boy' street) would be a doddle....

Is that the one from near the railway up to the castle? If it is the one Im thinking of it's well steep
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Anerley Hill by side of Crystal Palace - I love to see the local cycle club on weekends cycle up that one - some members are poor old so and so's. I have ridden up it , not much fun
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

ferrit worrier wrote:
661-Pete wrote:There's Ffordd Pen Llech in Harlech. 40%. Been past it, but not been up it - on bike or by any other means. I would reckon that compared to it, Gold Hill in Shaftesbury (the 'Hovis Boy' street) would be a doddle....

Is that the one from near the railway up to the castle? If it is the one Im thinking of it's well steep

Yes it starts by the station, the steepest bit is above the road in the town centre. If you turn off the coast road by Llanbedr there are several easy ways up.

I do wish the laws of physics could be changed so that one could cycle up hills without having to cycle down again
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pete75 wrote:Steep Hill Lincoln? At least it has the right name.

That looks strikingly similar to Keere Street in Lewes (which, according to the legend, the Prince Regent once raced down in a coach-and-four).
mjr

Post by mjr »

thirdcrank wrote:The Beeb is asking for nominations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38568889

:roll: Nominations? Surely it's a matter of fact, not a bleeding awards ceremony.

661-Pete wrote:Gold Hill in Shaftesbury (the 'Hovis Boy' street)

20% max according to Bike Hike.

661-Pete wrote:Thinking a bit more - isn't there a road in Bristol that makes the claim? (*googles*) Yes: Vale Street, Totterdown, Bristol. Anyone been up it?

Hard to tell as it doesn't show up correctly on maps, but I wouldn't put it over 20%.

pete75 wrote:Steep Hill Lincoln? At least it has the right name.

21%

mercalia wrote:Anerley Hill by side of Crystal Palace

Looks like barely 10%.

661-Pete wrote:That looks strikingly similar to Keere Street in Lewes (which, according to the legend, the Prince Regent once raced down in a coach-and-four).

15%

Well, given that load of wimpery, I'll nominate Monks Hill, Kewstoke, Somerset, which is signed as 25% but is over 30% near its foot. It's inside a 30 limit and has houses along both ends with a semi-wild wood in the middle. I spent a few years with that as my most direct route to visit relatives, but I almost always rode the extra few km around the hill, so I only had to deal with the short 20% hairpin onto that road instead of the full 30.

I'm sure it surprises no-one that those roads up the north face of that hill were routinely closed whenever it was icy or snowed... and I'm sure it surprises no-one that motorists often moved the closure signs out of the way - with predictable results.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gaz

Post by gaz »

661-Pete wrote:Vale Street, Totterdown, Bristol.

High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It's the "residential" that makes the difference.

What about Whitby?
Whitby 1.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

How would Clovelly rate for steepness?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info