Genesis Smithfield ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
barrym

Re: Genesis Smithfield ?

Post by barrym »

John_S wrote:
... but part of the fun is considering the options and figuring it out.

John

Ain't that the truth. Once a decision is made in steps "buyer's remorse" (was it the right decision) followed by 'what now'?

Ah well<sigh>, life could be worse eh?
--
Cheers
Barry
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

I cant blame you for wanting steel, its a lovely material and resilient.

I don't think you can go wrong with the genesis but definitely try one for size. I think they come up slightly smaller than expected, as I had trouble getting fitted to my 56 equilibrium, but they are well made and good vfm, imo

The other manufacturer you may want to check out is Charge, as they do (or used to do, not sure) a range in steel and planet x may have some builds in steel with the kaffenback frame.

Whatever you choose good luck.
barrym

Post by barrym »

Well I'm struggling :(

I'm trying to work out what size to order. There are none in the country yet - March ETA. And even then it's unlikely there will be any near me and certainly not both sizes that are in contention. I can't get any reply from Genesis, and Madison weren't very helpful.

So I'm left to compare Genesis geometry with my Trek. Now I'm pretty thick on this. I can understand standover, and the size that appears closest in every other respect seems a bit snug! On the size with a comfortable standover the wheelbase is a lot shorter, and I fear toe overlap. I occasionally clip the guards on my Trek as it is.

I have attached a spreadsheet with the dimensions of my Trek 7100 20", The Genesis Smithfield 54 & 56.

I'm 5'10" or 178cm, and my inside leg (crotch to floor in socks) is 32.5" or 83cm.

I'd be grateful for some help on this.

EDIT: Attachment didn't work, will provide link shortly.....
EDIT:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6_xH1TMciQNRFBKOXp2cGZGTlU/view?usp=sharing

Cheers
Barry
--
Cheers
Barry
niggle

Post by niggle »

I have a Genesis Equilibrium bought as a frame in 2011. I would say they are quite good value for the money rather than fantastic.

The ride, efficiency and handling seem good considering the 28mm tyres and the Reynolds 725 tubing does build into quite a light frame for steel. The frame welds are superbly executed and it does say Made in Taiwan.

OTOH the paint (Cherry Red) seems thin, soft and more easily damaged than the paint on either my 2008 Claud Butler Dalesman or even my Carrera Subway 8, and my Equilibrium frame (size 52cm) has significant toe overlap.

As you need a larger frame size then the toe overlap may be acceptable or non existent, so possibly just consider having the frame paint sprayed over with a good coating of clear lacquer. Also there are many breather holes on my frame tubes e.g. end of chainstays, at chainstay bridge, etc. which you might want to check for and block up, after internal waxoiling.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

barrym wrote:Well I'm struggling :(

I'm trying to work out what size to order. There are none in the country yet - March ETA. And even then it's unlikely there will be any near me and certainly not both sizes that are in contention. I can't get any reply from Genesis, and Madison weren't very helpful.

So I'm left to compare Genesis geometry with my Trek. Now I'm pretty thick on this. I can understand standover, and the size that appears closest in every other respect seems a bit snug! On the size with a comfortable standover the wheelbase is a lot shorter, and I fear toe overlap. I occasionally clip the guards on my Trek as it is.

I have attached a spreadsheet with the dimensions of my Trek 7100 20", The Genesis Smithfield 54 & 56.

I'm 5'10" or 178cm, and my inside leg (crotch to floor in socks) is 32.5" or 83cm.

I'd be grateful for some help on this.

EDIT: Attachment didn't work, will provide link shortly.....
EDIT:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6_xH1TMciQNRFBKOXp2cGZGTlU/view?usp=sharing

Cheers
Barry

From the information supplied in the link it has to be the larger size Genesis,as the ETT is nearer to the Trek(568 Trek,562Gen).The stand over on the large size(821mm) shouldn't be a problem with your inside leg dimension of 32.5in(which is same as mine),but what really matters is the front centres measurement(the distance between BB and front wheel axle) if it's the same or less than the Trek you may have toe overlap issues,if you're having them on the that bike.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

4130 butted tubes are probably just what you are looking for. It is a well regarded steel tubing for good quality, tough bikes made for the real world.
barrym

Post by barrym »

reohn2 wrote:......but what really matters is the front centres measurement(the distance between BB and front wheel axle) if it's the same or less than the Trek you may have toe overlap issues,if you're having them on the that bike.

So roughly speaking, that is wheelbase minus chainstay. I know the CS is at an angle, but for this purpose it should be an indicator.

Trek:- 1050 - 445 = 605

Genesis 56:- 1020 - 425 = 595

So Genesis is 10mm less, meaning toe overlap will be more likely. Hmm, that's a shame. Definitely rules out the smaller one, just 558! Some time ago when I was asking about toe overlap someone said 'get a 26" wheel bike to overcome toe overlap', I'm beginning to see what he meant.

Thanks all for the helpful comments.
--
Cheers
Barry
don1

Post by don1 »

If it helps, I'm 5'11", and my Genesis Croix de Fer is size 56.
John_S

Post by John_S »

Hi barrym,

Following on from what don1 said I'm also 5'11" and the 2014 Genesis Day One Alfine 8 that I tried was a 56cm and I seemed perfectly comfortable on it.

I don't know how the 2014 Day One Alfine 8 compares geometry wise to the Smithfield but it has details in the 2014 catalogue of the geometry if you then want to compare it to the Smithfield.

Good luck managing to figure out the frame size for you.

John

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/img/uploads/files/genesis_cat2014_web.pdf

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/urban/bridge/smithfield
barrym

Post by barrym »

Thanks Don1 & John_S,

The frames are the same, and are probably easier to see in the flesh so would give a pretty good idea of the size and position in all respects except bars.

I'll be on the phone Monday to see who has one locally.
--
Cheers
Barry
bbuggaa

Post by bbuggaa »

Hi Barry... Any updat on this? i am looking at buying a smithfield myself, cheers
barrym

Post by barrym »

bbuggaa wrote:Hi Barry... Any updat on this? i am looking at buying a smithfield myself, cheers

Unfortunately not. What with my general indecision, some health distractions, and family commitments, I haven't done anything :( .

It's not been for lack of trying, or researching. I got quite close to ordering a Brixton at a very good price, but missed it. That's the 3 speed one which really caught my eye. There are deals on those for 2016s still which are good value IMHO.
--
Cheers
Barry
bbuggaa

Post by bbuggaa »

Thanks for the update... i am going to see a 2015 smithfield, that interesting has a 3speed SA, this friday.. Second hand but the seller claims was never used, we will see. Will let you know how i get on ;)
barrym

Post by barrym »

bbuggaa wrote:Thanks for the update... i am going to see a 2015 smithfield, that interesting has a 3speed SA, this friday.. Second hand but the seller claims was never used, we will see. Will let you know how i get on ;)

That's a puzzle, why would it have a 3 speed instead of the 8, yet not been used?
--
Cheers
Barry