Three peaks prep?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
HillsAndSpills

Three peaks prep?

Post by HillsAndSpills »

Myself and equally ill-prepared/equipped friend are looking for good way to spend a week around Easter time. We're considering attempting UK 3 peaks in 7 days, probably beginning with Ben Nevis as Snowdon is closer to home.

Given a pretty low level of base fitness, does anyone have advice regarding training beforehand?

We're pretty new to the cycling scene, so our kit is pretty basic - I'm currently using a pre-owned BTwin Triban 500 and regular trainers and sports gear. Any suggestions for cheap-ish upgrades is also welcome!

Much obliged!
Looking for clubs and buddies in the Leeds and Sheffield areas during term- and holiday-time respectively.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Three peaks prep?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Supported, van with helper and to carry kit you need plus food and kit to walk up the hills :?:
Or unsupported, not sure anyone attempts that :?:

Trainers are more likely to lead to an injury in you foot, need some basic stiff sole cycling shoes at least.

Good luck.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

Easter time is early for Ben Nevis, even on the tourist path, unless you are fully prepared with an ice ax and crampons etc. and know how to use them. (Someone broke their leg in snow in June when I walked it.)
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Or unsupported, not sure anyone attempts that :?: .

They certainly do...I did it a few years ago from Hants/Wilts, cycle-camping, unsupported!
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
phil parker wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Or unsupported, not sure anyone attempts that :?: .

They certainly do...I did it a few years ago from Hants/Wilts, cycle-camping, unsupported!

What sort of gear did you carry :?:
How did you secure your gear from theft on the mountains.
I suppose that you could take your bike up the mountains, it would be hard pushing but not impossible :)
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

What sort of gear did you carry :?:
How did you secure your gear from theft on the mountains.
I suppose that you could take your bike up the mountains, it would be hard pushing but not impossible :)

I'm from a mountaineering background anyway and have been up the three peaks numerous times over the last 30 years, so a lot of my gear is lightweight and multifunctional i.e. Clothing is outdoor etc. PHD lightweight duvets. I did carry some walking poles strapped to my rear rack and my panniers were slightly heavier than my usual cycle-camping gear by a couple of Kgs. The main addition was a pair of trails shoes a compromise from 3-season boots and I had to accept retreat if icy/snowy conditions prevailed, but luckily they didn't.

We allowed one full day off cycling to walk the peaks and the bicycles and camping gear stayed at the campsite for two nights; we stayed at the campsite in Betwys-Y-Coed and got the bus to the top of the Llanberis pass and went up the Pyg Track, came down the Rangers' Path, luckily coinciding with getting a bus back to BYC. Likewise for Sca Fell we took the logistically easier, but longer walk from the campsite in Langdale and back, leaving everything in the campsite and not cycling again until the following day. Again, the campsite at Glen Nevis, you can cross the road and take a short-cut path to join the main path, which we set off at about 8 am and got back for some pub grub just after 12 pm, carrying the gear for two in one 35-litre collapsible rucksack (KIMM). We used our cycle frame water bottles and food/emergency food bought locally.

https://youtu.be/OxvvD9UkQFA
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Another cracking video Phil!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

pedalsheep wrote:Another cracking video Phil!

Thanks, although it was one of my first YouTube contributions and now I would make it a bit shorter!
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

Sorry to the OP - I didn't mean to hijack your thread with my achievements, but as Natural Ankling asked, if you provide us with a bit more information, I'm sure there are a few forumites, myself included, who can give you some credible advice!
HillsAndSpills

Post by HillsAndSpills »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Supported, van with helper and to carry kit you need plus food and kit to walk up the hills
Or unsupported, not sure anyone attempts that

Trainers are more likely to lead to an injury in you foot, need some basic stiff sole cycling shoes at least.

Good luck

We'll be going unsupported with provisions for four days, I expect, with the plan to get provisions in the Lakes somewhere.

I've been looking into clip pedals and cleats, but not sure whether they take a lot of getting used to?
Looking for clubs and buddies in the Leeds and Sheffield areas during term- and holiday-time respectively.
HillsAndSpills

Post by HillsAndSpills »

Elizabeth_S wrote:Easter time is early for Ben Nevis, even on the tourist path, unless you are fully prepared with an ice ax and crampons etc. and know how to use them. (Someone broke their leg in snow in June when I walked it.)

Good to know! I've done Ben Nevis a few times, but usually in summer.

I'm not unfamiliar with tough conditions as I've been mountaineering for a few years but we'll be light on equipment so if the terrain looks too threatening, we'll make an executive decision to settle for a partial climb.
HillsAndSpills

Post by HillsAndSpills »

phil parker wrote:Sorry to the OP - I didn't mean to hijack your thread with my achievements, but as Natural Ankling asked, if you provide us with a bit more information, I'm sure there are a few forumites, myself included, who can give you some credible advice!

Don't worry! Your hijack was filled with helpful things to think about.

I hadn't considered Scafell yet, but the Langdale route is almost certainly what we'll go for.

You said you had traded out your boots for trail shoes - which shoes were you using (style, model, whatever you can tell me)? Did you come across any difficulty in using them? I was going to take my 2-3 season boots but, if it's feasible, Ultra Raptors would save and lot of weight and packing space.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
All good stuff :)

A word of warning, as some of said, all the peaks are walkable but I would use a good pair of walking shoes at least with no snow / ice in summer.
If you have ankle problems then you know what to wear.
Even in summer there could / has / can be snow and ice on all three but most likely Ben Nevis.
Left camp site in brilliant july hot sunshine and shorts, got to the plateau of the ben , mist snow covered and VERY dangerous if you take a peep near the edge in stead of bearing right to summit, if snow there which leads to edge don't go there :!:

Same on the Pennines above 3000' in summer, if you walk up scar fell with no aids (stick and ropes) then you will find it a bit of an anti climax as I did, easiest of the lot. Snowden is easy unless you are thinking Watkins path? Dangerous in winter etc, the only route ive not done yet IIRC. The Ben is similar to Snowdon but steeper by virtue of the fact its higher? start to finish? and in one mile less, all if you take the easiest routes.
Some thing on my bucket list, three peaks by bike :)

Good luck.
HillsAndSpills

Post by HillsAndSpills »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:A word of warning, as some of said, all the peaks are walkable but I would use a good pair of walking shoes at least with no snow / ice in summer.
If you have ankle problems then you know what to wear.
Even in summer there could / has / can be snow and ice on all three but most likely Ben Nevis.
Left camp site in brilliant july hot sunshine and shorts, got to the plateau of the ben , mist snow covered and VERY dangerous if you take a peep near the edge in stead of bearing right to summit, if snow there which leads to edge don't go there :!:

I'm pretty confident in my ability to climb all three - I've done Scafell and Ben Nevis at a run before - but we'll be taking it carefully as my companion is perhaps not so well versed with climbing in poor conditions!

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Same on the Pennines above 3000' in summer, if you walk up scar fell with no aids (stick and ropes) then you will find it a bit of an anti climax as I did, easiest of the lot. Snowden is easy unless you are thinking Watkins path? Dangerous in winter etc, the only route ive not done yet IIRC. The Ben is similar to Snowdon but steeper by virtue of the fact its higher? start to finish? and in one mile less, all if you take the easiest routes.
Some thing on my bucket list, three peaks by bike :)

Good luck.

We'll carry a set of poles between us in case there's need for them, if you think that will be beneficial to us.

Snowdon is our final stop so I'm hoping to take an easy route for the sake of my riding buddy. Maybe parking bikes at Llanberis and taking it from there as the easy start will give us a chance to catch our breath.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
If your experienced which you are, poles etc won't be needed, to me more a hampering than an aid, that's walking sticks.

Getting across a stream / river with a heavy sack is the only place I needed one to test the water and lean on whilst perched on a slippery rock :)

Snowdon and ben nevis are a bit of a race as the paths are good if steep at times.

Unless...........you are considering this route?
Did it in the mist and I did look at the contour lines, you need your hands with a camping sack :? :lol:
http://tgos.co.uk/news/the-snowdon-horseshoe
Attachments
firstImage.jpg