Mini Maglite led bulb

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
mercalia

Mini Maglite led bulb

Post by mercalia »

Mini Maglite led buld upgrade

I ve had one of these for some time and down to the last bulb so was glad to see that you can get pop in led replacements at not too high a price so I got one. very bright and the focus does still work but maybe not (not sure if less good) do well as with the less bright normal bulbs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271996803264?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Last edited by mercalia on 11 Jan 2017, 7:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brucey

Re: Mini Maglite led bulb

Post by Brucey »

I've had a Nite Ize LED conversion for (about seven?) years. Similar power, similar price, can still focus OK.

They now do a mini-Maglite conversion that includes a replacement tailcap, with a switch in it. This is quite handy because this way the torch will retain whatever focus setting was last used.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Brucey wrote:I've had a Nite Ize LED conversion for (about seven?) years. Similar power, similar price, can still focus OK.

They now do a mini-Maglite conversion that includes a replacement tailcap, with a switch in it. This is quite handy because this way the torch will retain whatever focus setting was last used.

cheers

is this it?
http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/nite_ize_led_upgrade_ii_combo_light__replacement/?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=directory&utm_content=GBR&currency=GBP&country=GBR&SelectedBundle=171319&SelectedItem=604797&gclid=CI6n2IqQu9ECFe0A0wod98gMyg

the blurb says 30 lumens where as the one I got says 100 if u believe it

one of the things I like about the led upgrade is now can use rechargeable batteries?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the manufacturers claim 55 lumens...

http://www.niteize.co.uk/products/1-watt-l-e-d-upgrade-ii

I would take it all with a pinch of salt; as well as the output, the actual brightness of the beam depends on how well focused the beam is.... I think that close-up, if the torch were more powerful, it would perhaps be too bright and rather uncomfortable to use.

Mine is an earlier model Night Ize, which IIRC also came with a replacement reflector. The light output is 'warm white' which is much nicer to use. The new reflector is designed to better match the light output of the LED and doesn't give a 'hollow beam'. [Possibly the 'stalk' geometry of the LED you have bought is a better match for the original reflector design than older LED conversions.] However the replacement reflector is also shorter than the original one, thus making the engagement of the screw threads in the focusing assy the same as it was originally. Most conversions space the front of the torch outwards, losing a turn or two of screw thread engagement, because there is a thick base to the new LED.

I don't know that all conversions work equally well with different voltage batteries; I find that the brightness varies with the state of the batteries, even if the colour temperature of the light doesn't.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well mine does give a hollow beam of reduced brightness it seems, when not in beam mode ie when screwd out but will give a concentrated beam as before, realy surprising how strong a beam it is. should have done this before but didn't know it was possible only found it from an ebay search for the normal bulbs. good enough for me
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

I use company for replacement bulbs for old lamps but they maglites as well
http://www.reflectalite.com/LEDpage.html
Replaced a bulb on an old rear light, very very bright.