"Cyclists use cycle lanes .... motorists are the road users" - Grayling

661-Pete

"Cyclists use cycle lanes .... motorists are the road users" - Grayling

Post by 661-Pete »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -secretary
Words fail me :evil: . How does one deal with this sort of stuff....?
Last edited by 661-Pete on 13 Jan 2017, 12:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mistik-ka

Re: "Cyclists use cycle lanes .... motorists are the road users" - Grayling

Post by Mistik-ka »

I don't want to get into a "my Dad is stronger than your Dad" sort of argument, but as a proud Canadian I will concede for this occasion only that your Tories can be thicker than our Tories. :wink:
PhilWhitehurst

Post by PhilWhitehurst »

Cyclists use roads and motorists use motorways. Sounds good.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Well one good thing he has done today, finally got off my buttock and joined this organisation as been meaning to do that for a while.

So thats a bit more cash available and I will see if I can help here in West Midlands as we have so few others it seems.
mjr

Post by mjr »

ianrobo wrote:So thats a bit more cash available and I will see if I can help here in West Midlands as we have so few others it seems.

You may also like to join Push Bikes - The Birmingham Cycling Campaign if you want to campaign.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

I have looked at them before but as I live just 100M outside of Birmingham I have no elected reps I can badger etc. Obviously with the proposed cycle lanes I am very excited by those because I use the A34 a lot to go to work
mjr

Post by mjr »

ianrobo wrote:I have looked at them before but as I live just 100M outside of Birmingham I have no elected reps I can badger etc. Obviously with the proposed cycle lanes I am very excited by those because I use the A34 a lot to go to work

There's more that can be done beside badgering elected reps, plus you also have some of your own - Warwickshire perhaps? Now there's a county hall that might benefit from filling with badgers!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Words fail me too. :( He thinks cycle lanes remove "road" space for cars! Was he held up in car in October because of cyclists? No it was other motor vehicles that caused his car to be stationary. Cyclists were cycling past him. Must have been infuriating for such an important man. :lol: And if all those cyclists had been in cars there would have been even more "gridlock". Also he should be referring to carriageways, if that's what he means; a road is the whole highway eg carriageway, footway, cycleway, verge etc.

He fails to to see that cycling is one form of transport. Instead he would rather burble on about cyclists red light jumping and not riding responsibly ie degrade cyclists, rather than consider that.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

mjr wrote:
ianrobo wrote:I have looked at them before but as I live just 100M outside of Birmingham I have no elected reps I can badger etc. Obviously with the proposed cycle lanes I am very excited by those because I use the A34 a lot to go to work

There's more that can be done beside badgering elected reps, plus you also have some of your own - Warwickshire perhaps? Now there's a county hall that might benefit from filling with badgers!

Well from what I see in my council area - Walsall we have no groups at all and the facilities for cycling are non existent so lets go on that and leave the guys in Birmingham to battle away, with my full support of course.
horizon

Post by horizon »

MikeF wrote:Words fail me too.

Me too - it's probabaly why no-one commented on this immediately. Embarrassing in fact. Maybe even a GW Bush moment. But frightening nonetheless.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

As a party politician first and transport secretary second, he knows that he needs to pander to people who pay for their road fund licence. On the positive side, we are not getting a mismatch between words and actions.

(And yes, I do know, before anybody sees red.)
==============================================

PS

Chris Boardman, the former Olympic and Tour de France cyclist who is now British Cycling’s policy adviser, said he was amazed at the comments.

Somebody with credibility being reported there. :D
Last edited by thirdcrank on 13 Jan 2017, 1:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Relevant
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/12/rail-strike-failing-grayling-cant-do-badly wrote:Rail strike: search goes on for a job Failing Grayling can't do badly
Failing Grayling has been demoted so often in his political career, as David Cameron and Theresa May have vainly searched for a job he can’t do badly, that there should have been a certain familiarity to his predicament.

Ian
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Psamathe wrote:Relevant
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/12/rail-strike-failing-grayling-cant-do-badly wrote:Rail strike: search goes on for a job Failing Grayling can't do badly
Failing Grayling has been demoted so often in his political career, as David Cameron and Theresa May have vainly searched for a job he can’t do badly, that there should have been a certain familiarity to his predicament.

Ian

It is shocking how such a mediocre politician (regardless of political views, few Tories like him) has got so far up the chain. Even Gove at Justice was seen as a liberal next to Grayling, does he have something on someone ?
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

A slightly different take on the matter: https://katsdekker.wordpress.com/2017/0 ... ubbles-ii/
Last edited by Vorpal on 13 Jan 2017, 5:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix link