Bar tape questions

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nirakaro

Bar tape questions

Post by nirakaro »

What's the best thing to finish off bar tape with? I like quite a thick wodge of tape on the tops, so the wee bit of sticky tape they supply isn't long enough. I've usually used insulating tape, which does the job, but I wonder if there's anything better?
I've seen someone recommend using hockey-stick tape for handlebars, but not playing hockey, I don't know what it's like. Anyone enlighten me? What are the pros n cons?
axel_knutt

Re: Bar tape questions

Post by axel_knutt »

When my bike was new, Dawes finished the tape ends using some very smart purpose-made clamps, but the LBS threw them away when they changed the bars. I've never managed to find anyone selling them, so I just use insulation tape.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
horizon

Post by horizon »

If you look carefully at the picture in this link you'll see two small black plastic "closers" that normally screw tight. Unfortunately i don't know what they're called!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/System-S-Stee ... Sw2xRYcTVN
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Those little screw-on finishers are quite good - "Cycling" magazine now "cycling weekly" gave a free pair away about 25 years ago so I bought 2 mags just to get another set! Anyway, a cheaper (and better IMHO) option which I now use is heat shrink - I bought some from our local electrical wholesaler (under £2 a metre in 32mm (or something like that, I'm sure they'll advise), and cut about 35mm. Just slip one bit on either side of the bar, put tape on, then heat up carefully with heat gun or hairdryer and hey presto.... perfection.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

fastpedaller wrote:Those little screw-on finishers are quite good - "Cycling" magazine now "cycling weekly" gave a free pair away about 25 years
Yes, I too had some. 25 years ago when we used cloth tape or single layer plastic they were fine. They are still available https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebar-t ... top-rings/ but do not work well with thick cork tape or much of a build up in thickness. I tried them.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

with certain types of tape (e.g. those with feathered edges that will also take a good tension when applied) it can be OK to start at the top and finish at the bottom. This means that you need not have a finisher of any kind on the tops, if you don't want one. It also means the free end of the tape can be pushed in with the end plugs, or properly secured using expanding plugs. However if you don't use enough tension in the tape, or it isn't suitable, it will tend to ruck up, e.g. on the outside of the upper bend.

Regardless of taping direction/method, if you like a thick layer of tape anywhere there is a bend, you will need a generous overlap on each turn. This also means that you will find that on the inside of the bend, the tape will be stuck to itself, but might not be stuck to the handlebar, because the adhesive may not be wide enough vs the overlap.

To combat this, I recommend using a double-sided tape base layer, at least on strategic points of the handlebar. This usually makes any tape more secure on the handlebar.

Another possible 'finisher' tape is self-amalgamating tape. However it is a bit soft and it doesn't stick to other things very well, so I have not found it to be durable enough for this job. Maybe there are other grades that are different to the stuff I've used.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bobzeller

Post by bobzeller »

Many sherry bottles have cork caps that are excellent for use as plugs.

Cheers

Bob
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

axel_knutt wrote:When my bike was new, Dawes finished the tape ends using some very smart purpose-made clamps, but the LBS threw them away when they changed the bars. I've never managed to find anyone selling them, so I just use insulation tape.

We all know bike shops like that.
I should coco.
Steve O'C

Post by Steve O'C »

I have not tried this myself but Sugru is a moldable silicone rubber that sets in 24 hours. Its available in a variety of colours and looks like it might work well.

780.jpg
freiston

Post by freiston »

That Sugru looks like a good idea. I've just found these silicone rings (in black or white) at Rose Cycles:

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/xtr ... aid:638670
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I use wiring loom cloth tape, you could also use handle bar cloth tape (a bit thicker), the wiring loom tape is quite thin and self adhesive so you can turn it a few times with out building to much thickness.
Cloth tape is non slip.
But only in black.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Thanks Steve - my better half is a massive Sugru fangirl, I can see her losing a little of it in the near future!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Black insulating tape .... no brainer .....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

landsurfer wrote:Black insulating tape .... no brainer .....

Why black? I have it to match the tape, one bike rocks red and yellow, another blue and the white taped machines have white,

Not the prettiest but cheap and easy and very effective.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

freiston wrote:That Sugru looks like a good idea. I've just found these silicone rings (in black or white) at Rose Cycles:

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/xtr ... aid:638670

Ooo, they look good, might have to pick some up next time i'm in Bocholt!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!