Just found these Accessory bars on Ebay

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
reohn2

Re: Just found these....

Post by reohn2 »

Where there's a will there's caustic soda or meditative rubbing and incense :)
Proving there's at least two paths to Nirvana as there are to the Roman Fort from Snowden Towers,though all up hill one is easier than the other :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

TYKE wrote:The eBay seller has an appalling negative feedback ---- good idea though --- so looking for similar from the U.K.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Mounta ... Sw44BYP52S

UK Seller - Feedback not bad considering

I'm gonna give them a go
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Threevok wrote:
TYKE wrote:The eBay seller has an appalling negative feedback ---- good idea though --- so looking for similar from the U.K.

UK Seller - Feedback not bad considering

I'm gonna give them a go

I think you're safe there,let us know how you get on with it :)
W H Auden
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

don't know about ratios, just sprinkled some in a bowl, prob a soup spoon, (small ladle)? then it'll start to warm up, then plonk stuff in, and swish it around a bit whilst its fizzing. I DON'T need to remind you all about the CAUSTIC bit DO I ?
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

reohn2 wrote:
I think you're safe there,let us know how you get on with it :)

Didn't go for that one in the end. Went to this one instead, as they were only £4.95

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112205457901? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Got a blue one and a gold one - turned up today

There are no rubbers with them, though there is a thin transparent strip inside to stop any marking of your bars.

I'm going to have to put rubbers in anyway, as I wanted these to fettle brackets for the mirrors on each bike, and the bars are thinner at the point I want to mount them.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Look good, though I would maybe prefer it if the mounting bar was metal, not carbon.

Your first impressions are good?

Would be interested in future feedback as well. I have a couple of minoura units stashed somewhere.
Sweep
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

TYKE wrote:good idea though

Hi Tyke, are we related?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Sweep wrote:Look good, though I would maybe prefer it if the mounting bar was metal, not carbon.

One of the few locations where I really can't see that much argument against carbon. It's not structurally important - it's probably not hugely exposed to damage.
Why not run with something lightweight and strong enough (for that matter painted plastic plumbers pipe is probably overkill!)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

fair point.
Sweep
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

Sweep wrote:Look good, though I would maybe prefer it if the mounting bar was metal, not carbon.

Your first impressions are good?

Would be interested in future feedback as well. I have a couple of minoura units stashed somewhere.

To be honest, I don't think the bars are carbon fibre - more like "carbon fibre effect" plastic. They have that "plastic pipe" sound (when I drop them on my desk here at work). I'd expect CF to have more of a thud.

I suppose you could always use any 22.2 metal pipe you have lying around from other things.

As for me, I am only interested in the brackets themselves. I have one Zefal mirror on both bikes, but like to hang them below the bars (just inward of the right grip on the single speed, and just outward of the gear shifter on the GT). I hate them on the ends of the bars, because they are too obtrusive, plus they keep getting hit out of position.

I have fettled brackets from some old stuff I had in the spares bin, but they look a bit ugly and I wanted something a little more subtle for each bike.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Threevok wrote:
Didn't go for that one in the end. Went to this one instead, as they were only £4.95

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112205457901? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Great find,I've just ordered one :wink:
W H Auden
rualexander

Re: Just found these Accessory bars on Ebay

Post by rualexander »

I've just received this today, ordered two days ago.

Cut the bar in half with a hacksaw, and I now have an extension bracket for each of my two bikes. Used a couple of old bar end plugs to plug the open ends where I cut it.
The bar does seem to be at least something like carbon fibre, although maybe not woven as the surface pattern would suggest. There are longitudinal strands of something where I cut it.