753 changing dropouts

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
belgiangoth

753 changing dropouts

Post by belgiangoth »

I have a nice 753 frame, but would like to run it fixed. I could just go with a completely new frame, but could I get the dropouts swapped from vertical to horizontal (forward facing so that I can reverse the fixed gear procedure)?
I know you can't respect 753 but surely you can change the dropouts.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
Brucey

Re: 753 changing dropouts

Post by Brucey »

IIRC the stays are not heat treated in the same way as the main 753 tubes, so are not subject to the same brazing constraints as the other tubes.

BTW if you can find a competent welder, it is usually possible to cut the dropouts off (mid-dropout) and extend them in a different style. This can be done without affecting the brazed joints to the original dropouts. If this is done well, and the welds are dressed nicely, you can't tell such a modification has been made.

FWIW I would agree that you fit slotted road dropouts; this will give you the option to run fixed now, but also gears later on if you change your mind.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Or...keep am eye out for an Eno Eccentric!
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Big fan of the ENO, not so much of chopping beautiful 753, but then some would accuse of me of sentimentalism...

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

If you are going to be putting new dropouts in, it may be worth considering doing it in such as way that you can use "Swap-outs" to change between the two - like the DMR ones on my Kinesis Virtue (Pictured with horizonal dropouts)