Cycled through a blizzard this morning.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
tykeboy2003

Cycled through a blizzard this morning.

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Ok, I exaggerate but it was snowing quite thick and I lost traction on a few untreated minor roads on occasion.

I found it quite invigorating the only bit I didn't like very much was getting snow in my eyes.

Nice to see motorists slowing down a bit though.
TrevA

Re: Cycled through a blizzard this morning.

Post by TrevA »

Must admit that I chickened out and drove in. Icy roads and snow are not my favourite conditions. A couple of hardy souls have ridden in to the office today though, and it looks quite pleasant out now.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

I commuted to work - on the single- speed too - although I did have the Ice Spikes on
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Started snowing 30 secs after leaving house this morning. Full on blizzard all the way in, stopped 30 seconds before arriving at work.

Thick slush on the road, happily no ice whatsoever.

Hoping my drivetrain hasn't seized (memo to self to leave some oil at work)

Off home soon, looks clear, and I have newly arrived electric gloves to keep hands warm :-)
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Often it was my only way to work as the car could not be moved out of its parking place.. often a walk / slide / careful pedal to the main road, jump on bike, breathe sigh of relief as gritter came past on it's route out of Bolton.... follow gritter down the hill...... still arrive at work before those who lived closer / had less snow ... loved it. :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Rode the regular 5 miles each way commute throughout the 1953 winter, mixture of side and main roads. The third wheel was invaluable :D

Got fit enough to use it for the Birmingham-Llangollen-Birmingham reliability trial in March, still rutted ice on the last few miles to the turn
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

There are three thoughts that prevent me cycling in these conditions ;
1) I could fall off and injure myself
2) I could fall off under a vehicle
3) I could be hit by an oncoming car sliding out as I am going round the outside of a bend.
PH

Post by PH »

BrianFox wrote:Started snowing 30 secs after leaving house this morning. Full on blizzard all the way in, stopped 30 seconds before arriving at work.

That was pretty much my experience as well. Looked out window at the time I would need to leave to get the bus, all looked fine, had another coffee. Half an hour later when it was time to leave by bike it was coming down heavily and the options limited, used the folder and followed the bus route rather than the usual cycle paths, slushy and slow but surprisingly only took a few minuets longer than normal. By the time I'd dried off and changed at work it was all over...
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

You want a medal? :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
PH

Post by PH »

foxyrider wrote:You want a medal? :lol:

Are you offering one? :lol: :lol:
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I had a couple in a BMW stop and offer me a lift once when I was cycling in a blizzard and caked in snow. I daren't tell them I was only out training, and there was nowhere to take me. :lol:
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

I look at as a challenge and hardening of the soul. Like today 3 hours ride in awful conditions, snow, sleet cold win etc ...

if you can do that you can do anything !
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

axel_knutt wrote:I had a couple in a BMW stop and offer me a lift once when I was cycling in a blizzard and caked in snow. I daren't tell them I was only out training, and there was nowhere to take me. :lol:

Knowing how most BMW's perform in the snow - you should have offered to help them :twisted:
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

Last time we had snow in Southampton - a few years back now - I was cycle commuting to Otterbourne about 10 miles away. My wife said I could use the car as she wasn't going anywhere. I said I'd stick to cycling - if it got too slippy to ride I could just walk with the bike, if it got too slippy to drive then I'd be stuck. It just meant that a journey which usually took about 40-45 minutes took a couple of hours.
nez

Post by nez »

I had my first ride on the spiked tyres I bought last year. What a racket! I do feel a bit of a fool on them. Still, they seem to work. Of course, this week temperatures will rise well above zero again and I'll have to take them off again or be thought a nutcase as I nip round to Sainsbury's :shock: