Bicycle loading

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Davidwd

Bicycle loading

Post by Davidwd »

Sorry if this topic must have been covered before but I have never toured with panniers, I have done a lot of supported tours.
I have a kona dew deluxe stubby on 700x32 tyres. The ortlieb rear panniers weigh 6kg each including tent and gear. I have an ortlieb bar bag but no front panniers. Will the bike be overloaded on the rear? Will it be out of balance?
mjr

Re: Bicycle loading

Post by mjr »

Not particularly. It'll handle differently and the front wheel might lift if going steep uphill but go for a test ride and decide if it's acceptable.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I think you should be fine. These days, I never use front panniers anymore, and as long as you do not overload the rear, handling is not a problem. It does depend on your bike (is it stable enough?) and on your posture on the bike (the more upright you sit, the easier it is to upset the bike's balance with weight at the rear). But I do not think you need to worry.
It is not directly related, but if you can fit wider tyres it will make for a nicer and faster ride on the rough surfaces that you will experience in practice.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Sounds very much like what I ride with - 13-15kg on the rear plus a bar bag.

Each bike is different, but it doesn't sound like anything abnormal or extreme. Give it a go. The bike will handle like a bus, but you will be used to it after 10 miles.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

As others have said each bike is different, but I suspect it will be fine. I used to tour like that. But personally I find having four panniers a better option. I like the way the bikes feels better and I find having the extra bag space makes it easier to organize my stuff during the day and makes it easier to carry food etc for camping.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I think you're on the cusp of what is OK and what would make a nicer feel if you had more up front. As others have said, this load on that bike is fine. But four panniers is a real luxury. Even when just walking or moving the bike it will behave better. For camping, I much prefer four and am happy to ditch the bar bag.

But you cross the Rubicon when you have four (and you will be tempted to fill them). So if you are managing with just the rears and bar bag it might be wiser to stick with that.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I've only ever used rear only for anything from light touring, to long haul camping.

My bit of advice is to get the (rear) panniers as far forward as possible. Keep adjusting until they just clear your heels. Even a few mm's makes a difference as I found recently after fitting a new rack.

Go and enjoy.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The downside of front panniers is, of course, that they and a front rack will cost perhaps some 150 pounds, and will weigh 2-2.5 kg even empty. So if the bike's handling is only marginal the alternative would be to spend 150 pounds on careful weight reduction. I would begin with reducing the weight of the bar bag, see if you can lower it, and perhaps also move some if its content to a small frame bag. I don't know what fuel you are using in the stove, but if it is liquid, and if you have the fuel in a pannier, you might consider having it in a Bikebuddy under the downtube. Also, have your panniers as far forward as possible. The challenge is to have as much of the weight as close to the centre of gravity of the bike - it really makes a difference. In short, there are ways if you give it some thought.
Davidwd

Post by Davidwd »

IMG_2353.JPG

Will hopefully get out this weekend to try it!
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

^ Very smart. Enjoy.
Giles Pargiter

Post by Giles Pargiter »

I also have also found rear panniers only just fine and often when shopping carried quite a bit more than 6Kg each in them (like more then twice that) + my carradice with things in.

The point about keeping them as far forward as possible, I find is very good advice. On that point; many people move their carrier further from the stays to achieve heel clearance. However if you move the top of the carrier towards the stays you will find that as it pivots around the bottom bolt on the drop outs, this causes it's top rail to slope and the bottom of the pannier to move away from your heel - try with a bag on, you will soon see. This also helps to stop the carrier flexing and helps stop the tail wagging the dog, so to speak. Additionally keeping the panniers as low as possible helps stability but you have to mind the right one does'nt foul the derrailleur.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

I've only ever used rear panniers and a bar bag too. Total of maybe 14 or 15kg on the back with two panniers and a large dry bag containing tent and sleeping equipment for two.

Works well for me and no real handling troubles once I've got used to the weight on the back of my bike!
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Davidwd wrote:Sorry if this topic must have been covered before but I have never toured with panniers, I have done a lot of supported tours.
I have a kona dew deluxe stubby on 700x32 tyres. The ortlieb rear panniers weigh 6kg each including tent and gear. I have an ortlieb bar bag but no front panniers. Will the bike be overloaded on the rear? Will it be out of balance?

A lot depends on your positioning, too.
Too little weight on the front end may give advers effects, like speed-wobble, and more likely lots of stress on the rear wheel.
Personally I try to balance between rear (bulky stuff) and front (smaller but heavier stuff) both on road and mtb setups
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...