cycling in holland

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
holidaycyclist

cycling in holland

Post by holidaycyclist »

we are cycling in Holland july 2017.can anyone suggest the best form of accommodation on a budget?we are not able to camp.is it still possible to book accommodation a couple of days in front i.e.book as you go?
Cyril Haearn

Re: cycling in holland

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Youth hostels are quite good (stay okay.nl).

I booked by mail a few days before, pay on arrival, most people speak English, breakfast is good.

Recommend learning some Dutch too, it is not difficult and will add to your understanding and enjoyment. You will be persona grata if you can use the vernacular.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Toffee

Post by Toffee »

Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I second Vrienden Op De Fiets, had a great time staying with them a couple of years ago.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

Slowroad wrote:I second Vrienden Op De Fiets
Thirded. Very friendly people, lovely way to talk to the locals. Recommended.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Have a look at https://www.stayokay.com/nl for good value hostels. Also Hotels.nl will return B&B and Youth Hostels to searches.
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

I have never heard of vrienden op de fiets but it does look a good option, roughly what are the charges?
We have used airbnb which have also been good so the tent may be left behind this year.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Vrienden Op De Fiets prices here: http://www.vriendenopdefiets.nl/en/for-friends/
8 euros to join and 19 euros a night B&B.
Bargain, and you get conversation too.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Airbnb operates illegally in several Dutch towns, and Amsterdam for example is clamping down. This is quite right, as conversion of homes to illegal hotels removes homes from the normal housing market, and destroys the social fabric of neighbourhoods.
ossie

Post by ossie »

willem jongman wrote:Airbnb operates illegally in several Dutch towns, and Amsterdam for example is clamping down. This is quite right, as conversion of homes to illegal hotels removes homes from the normal housing market, and destroys the social fabric of neighbourhoods.

I can imagine this may be an issue for long term rentals but lets put into the context of a cycling forum. It cant be anything other than a useful tool for the cycling tourer who wishes to stay a night or two.

These councils have a delicate balancing act. I guess the Hoteliers are 'kicking off' but the added influx of tourists adding to the local economy cannot be underestimated.

I haven't used Airbnb yet but It has enabled my children to travel far and wide and stay in places that would ordinarily be financially off limits.
Davidwd

Post by Davidwd »

I have just joined vrienden op de fiets, some of the addresses state 'there is no outlet in the bicycle storage' does this mean they cannot provide safe storage for your bike??
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

They almost certainly mean there is no electricity to charge your ebike.