Winter tyres

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Garry Booth

Winter tyres

Post by Garry Booth »

My riding in the morning has been somewhat curtailed by the hard frosts we have been having here in East Anglia. I once came off very badly on black ice and now have no sight in one eye as a result of the injury. Anyway, I was thinking about how on the continent people fit winter tyres on their cars. The idea is that the rubber compound stays soft even when very cold. Does anyone make a bike tyre with such rubber? Or would it make so little difference on a 25mm as not to be worth it?
Threevok

Re: Winter tyres

Post by Threevok »

Compound makes no difference on ice, neither does tread. You may as well be using slicks. Studs are the only defense.

I did an 8 mile mountain loop today, including a cat 4 climb and passed many riders turning back, because the trails were too icy. I however, had the single speed set up for exactly those conditions - complete with spiked tyres.
hamish

Post by hamish »

Well I use Continental winter tyres. They aren't studded but use a different tyre compound. Whilst they aren't magic, they do really help on ice.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Previous thread discussing difference between "winter" tyres and studded tyres.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
robc02

Post by robc02 »

seph

Post by seph »

Yep, lots of discussion on this every winter!
I've had a set of Schwalbe snow studs on my winter/ off road bike for 6 or 7 years now. They're slow, but fantastic !
Rich_Clements

Post by Rich_Clements »

seph wrote:Yep, lots of discussion on this every winter!
I've had a set of Schwalbe snow studs on my winter/ off road bike for 6 or 7 years now. They're slow, but fantastic !
I have a pair of those to, as you say slow but work well.
Rich
robc02

Post by robc02 »

hamish wrote:Well I use Continental winter tyres. They aren't studded but use a different tyre compound. Whilst they aren't magic, they do really help on ice.

Have you tried studded tyres? I wondered how your Continentals compare to them.

I have Schwalbe Winters. As mentioned by other posters, they grip well but are slow. Since I rarely encounter sheet ice - its normally just patches here and there - I wonder whether the Continentals would be a better compromise?
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

robc02 wrote:
hamish wrote:Well I use Continental winter tyres. They aren't studded but use a different tyre compound. Whilst they aren't magic, they do really help on ice.

Have you tried studded tyres? I wondered how your Continentals compare to them.

I have Schwalbe Winters. As mentioned by other posters, they grip well but are slow. Since I rarely encounter sheet ice - its normally just patches here and there - I wonder whether the Continentals would be a better compromise?

I have, and there is absolutely no comparison in my experience...

Winter tyres = broken elbow
Spiked tyres = no broken elbow
Result = no brainer
mig

Post by mig »

i have ridden both types of these tyres extensively for several years. studs are good in proper snow and ice. the winter compound (mine are continental winter 2) are good on frost and slippery surfaces. i use the latter most of the time and have some studs ready for if the white stuff falls. as snow has been more infrequent in my area the winter compound ones are normally on all winter.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Threevok wrote:I have, and there is absolutely no comparison in my experience...

Winter tyres = broken elbow
Spiked tyres = no broken elbow
Result = no brainer

I have too, but it seems my experience is different to your experience
Top Contact Winter II = not fallen off
Marathon Winter spiked = fallen off twice

from which I'd say that an adequate amount of care is necessary whatever tyres you are using.
Garry Booth

Post by Garry Booth »

OK so the Conti tyre seems to be made of the right stuff, but doesn't come in a 25 size. I guess the sensible thing to do is stay off the road when it's icy!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Three wheels = far preferable solution...
Power slides, doughnuts in the fresh snow...

Oh, and studded tyres for the really icy weather.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I was in the New Forest at the weekend. On Monday morning there was a thick frost and ice had formed where water had collected. I didn't have my studded tyres with me as the forecast had been reasonably mild though this had dropped to minus 5 in rural areas by Sunday night. I waited until midday before heading off to Salisbury. There was by then no ice (although there were still the ice warning signs at fords). There was no way it would have been safe IMV to cycle in the early morning in such conditions on normal tyres and yet for a day's ride, studded tyres would have been unnecessary for most of it. I think it's a hard call sometimes to know what is best to do.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
RickH

Post by RickH »

A couple of thoughts:-

While I was looking for something else, I came across Schwalbe's new tyre online - Marathon GT 365. It seems another one to possibly throw in the mix for wintery conditions.

I don't know if anyone has tried it (I'm sure they must have done) but, with the increasing popularity of disc brakes, removable snow "chains" may be feasible.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.