Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
hughwill69

Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Post by hughwill69 »

Ever since I was 61 I've wanted to do LeJog. Two tries (to be supported by family in 2013 and by Saddle Skeddadle in 2014) have been thwarted by, respectively, the theft of my bikes from the garage followed the next year a touch of cardiac arrest. I'm 67 now, and still want to do it and the easiest way would be with a supported group such as SS, Bike Adventures, Peak Tours or our own Cycling UK tours.

The problem is that even when they offer the 'easier' (and more expensive) 21 day jaunts, they still use routes that are likely to be really hard for me as an old and big cyclist. Some examples are- Going through forest of Bowland rather than up the Lancashire plain- both Bike Adventures and SS do this with the latter taking an extra 25 miles and 2000 ft of climbing. Many of them go up Cheddar Gorge (wouldn't the Strawberry Line bike path be easier?) and Lots go over the top of Dartmoor rather than (for example) use the old A30 from Launceston to Oakhampton. The SS 21 day route astonishingly offers both the Carnwell and the Lecht in one day (the 14 day route spilts these). This means traveling up to the highest and second highest A road in the UK on a 60 mile day ride.

It seems to me that riding the 860-1100 miles of LeJog is a feat in itself and that's what I want to do. I'm not averse to giving some of these monsters a go but I'd rather go there specially to try them out. But what I would like is someone to offer a supported LeJog which offers 21 days or so, no long rides unless pretty flat and keeping the hillage to the minimum needed.

Am I alone in this?
landsurfer

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own?

Post by landsurfer »

No your not ..... i'm waiting with bated breath for some route suggestions for this one .....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Absolutely spot on!
My philosophy entirely!

Sorry, can't offer any advice for companies, because I reckon they ALL want some sort of "angle" to their business plan.
Dartmoor, is just one of them.
If you want to do these places .......... like you say ............ go and do them as a separate thing some other time.

I've done End2End a few times, but never with an organised group, though I have been on the support team with one. Thier angle was doing the ride in five days. Stupid, I know, but they did it. Many folk have done it in five days over the years, and some less than five days. Personally, I like eleven days, and I like a the flattest route to do it. I can give you my route, but if you want a support team behind you, I think you are going to be out of luck.

I often think about going on a supported ride, but going my own route, and only joining up at each day's destination.
Maybe you could consider that?
There can't be any rule about following their route faithfully, so long as you start and finish each day at the correct place.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
As Mick F said, do your own thing, plan the route so if hilly you do less miles to tie up with accommodation, so every day is same effort but not same miles.
Or you need a guy with a camper and pay em.
Other option take a tent.
Or is companionship what you would prefer.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

That's just what I need for 2018. If there was a group of us I am sure we could find a tour operator who who do backup on a route of our choosing. Anyone fancy it please pm me and I will see what can be done. That's if a 70 year old can keep up with you youngsters
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
robgul

Post by robgul »

There's load of stuff at www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk

- including my own Journal "Rob & Joe's JOGLE" which took a "no mad hills route" . . . it was so good that I rode it again the other way for my LEJOG with only minor adjustments.

Rob
Cycle E2E webmaster
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
hughwill69

Post by hughwill69 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
As Mick F said, do your own thing, plan the route so if hilly you do less miles to tie up with accommodation, so every day is same effort but not same miles.
Or you need a guy with a camper and pay em.
Other option take a tent.
Or is companionship what you would prefer.

Thanks for the replies. Might be some traction in getting some of the companies interested. As for camping, I haven't done that since my 30's. In fact I'm not only looking for an easy route, I'm also looking for an easy life- guaranteed really comfortable beds etc - I'd happily stay in Travelodges/Premier Inns the whole distance- quiet, comfortable and cheap and all who use them say they let you take your bike into the bedrooms...

But what I could do with is a company to do the lot- I'm ready to waste the children's inheritance at the drop of a hat.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Mick F wrote:I often think about going on a supported ride, but going my own route, and only joining up at each day's destination.
Maybe you could consider that?
There can't be any rule about following their route faithfully, so long as you start and finish each day at the correct place.

Having worked on supported LEJOGs several times, there absolutely is a rule about sticking to the correct route!
Mostly logistics - if you get lost, suffer a mechanical or an injury or fail to turn up at basecamp that night, they've got zero way of tracking you. Yes there might be options to fit everyone with a spot-tracker but that in itself would be a huge logistical challenge.

And you'd still require lots more vehicles driving round all sorts of random back lanes trying to find errant riders or groups going off course or trying to decide on the hoof which direction to go.

The whole point of a supported LEJOG is that you're paying for that backup and logistical support, why would you then "go solo" during the day? It's almost the worst of all worlds - paying a large sum of money for support but then not making use of any of it while still being constrained to their start/end points each day!
RickH

Post by RickH »

I can't comment on other companies but I've done several trips with Bikes Adventures (their LEJOG route did seem to be exceptionally hilly in the pursuit of avoiding busy roads).

They've been OK with doing your own route variations. They won't give you the some level of backup as you are no longer on the route covered by their "sweepers" riding behind everyone. A small group of us went from Clitheroe to Ingleton via near Settle rather than going over the tops - a slightly longer but flatter route. I've done other variations for different reasons - somewhere I really want to visit, to call on friends &, once, to add an extra climb in the Pyrenees
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

RickH wrote:their LEJOG route did seem to be exceptionally hilly in the pursuit of avoiding busy roads

I think that's absolutely the crux of it. Main roads tend to monopolise valleys, so unless there's a railway path or a canal towpath, you often have to weigh up climb vs motor traffic. For a fast LeJOG with experienced cyclists (like Mick F's 11-day suggestion) then the motor traffic might not be a big issue, but I'd guess that most people on a 21-day route would rather follow quieter roads.

It would be really interesting to see if anyone can come up with a route which successfully minimises both climbing and traffic. My guess is that it'd be doable, but probably with a significantly higher mileage than the usual.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
oldmanonabike

Wimplejog

Post by oldmanonabike »

Inspired by a recent post lejog for wimps a forum member has suggested a wimp lejog camping ride. Hopefully this will take place in June 2018. Said members wife will act as backup driver and camping superintendent.
We intend to follow the spirit of the original post and are looking for 4 or 5 riders of similar mind.
It is intended to broadly follow Mick. F 's easy route about 930 miles in 12 riding days.
Anyone who wants to join us or get more information please PM me
PH

Re: Wimplejog

Post by PH »

oldmanonabike wrote:It is intended to broadly follow Mick. F 's easy route about 930 miles in 12 riding days.

With no intended disrespect to the experienced Mr MickF, if you want easy, go the other side of the Pennines.
It adds around 120 - 150 miles, misses all the urban and a lot of climbing. It'll never be a record breaking route, but I believe for the average cyclist it'd be quicker than the shorter one.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Yes I should have made myself clearer when I said broadly. Mick gave alternative routes but I wanted to keep to 12days that wouldn't have been possible with an extra 120 or so extra miles
landsurfer

Re: WimpLeJog

Post by landsurfer »

I am happy to declare myself in this project ..
The fair Jules has volunteered to drive ahead each day and pitch camp for the cyclists.
Her plan is to leave approx 2-3 hours after us each day ,, (lay in !) .. and catch us up with food and tools and stuff as required then go forward to the nights stop and pitch tents etc .... she's good at this .... very. Planner!
If a rescue is required she will back track with support as required.
Small camp sites with showers will be targeted wherever possible ...

No Nuns will be harmed on this journey ... :)
Last edited by landsurfer on 31 Jan 2017, 10:01pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
KFT

Post by KFT »

PM sent.
I'd be really interested in this - would it involve beer? :D