Cycling UK Water bottle ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Chess

Cycling UK Water bottle ?

Post by Chess »

Hi all.
Does anyone know where I can get a cycling UK water bottle please ?
A link would be useful as I can't find the shop now section on the website.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers.
Chess.
gaz

Re: Cycling UK Water bottle ?

Post by gaz »

Welcome to the forum.

Cycling UK does not currently have a "shop". The most recent retail agreement was with Wiggle which ended summer 2015. The CTC stock page on Wiggle is no longer live.

It is possible that promotional items are still made for events such as Big Bike Revival or even L'Eroica but I wouldn't count on it. Even if they are I would not know how to get hold of one without attending such an event in person.

Good luck with your search.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Graham

Post by Graham »

If such an item exists (?) then it may have been returned to base along with other branded, unsold items when the shop franchise ended.

It might be worth contacting the general enquiry email : cycling@cyclinguk.org

If you are lucky, expect to pay a premium to actually buy one. They really aren't geared-up to do adhoc mail order.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

If you can round up enough interested people you could get a batch specially made - loads of firms on the internet.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

They had CTC bottles as prizes at the Bike Expo in Manchester last year, so maybe they'll have Cycling UK ones for events this year?
Chess

Post by Chess »

Thanks all. I'll look into it.
PH

Post by PH »

They certainly exist, I have one in my collection, picked up for free at last years members get together.
As gaz suggests they're a promotional item and as such they're not the best of bottles. OK as a freebie but if I'd paid a fiver for one I'd have been disappointed. Though as I've been using camelback bottles for years I might just be making an unfair comparison.
Si

Post by Si »

There were some under my desk at work along with cuk tshirts..... but someone has probably halfinched them by now. Have to agree with PH , they are ok but not great, feel a bit loose in the bottle cage. Hoever, can do you a good deal on some top quality BC bottles :D
pga

Post by pga »

It is a concern that the CTC, or its agents, no longer sell CTC clothing. We do not even get a short sleeve jersey. Perhaps we could prevail upon the new whizz kids at the CTC helm to look into this and produce two or three design options by professional designers and put these to the vote by the whole membership.

This failure contrasts badly with the FFCT (for new cyclists the French equivalent of the CTC) which sells a wide range of FFCT clothing and other cycling items. Much of the kit is updated every year leaving a residue of old kit snapped up by the Brits at bargain prices at the Semaine Federale. At the same time we get the option of Semaine Federale clothing every year.

In the meantime I can browse through the National Clarion, Audax UK or VTTA catalogues for their latest jerseys and other delights.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

A re issue of traditional CTC jersey designs would probably go down well, even a good quality T-shirt for the non MAMIL's out there ,..(are there any ?).. :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

When I read a thread like this which is specifically about the brand Cycling UK, I'm a bit confused when "CTC" is mixed in as though they are interchangeable. This may be so in plenty of instances, but not with branded merchandise.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Like it or not the CTC is alive and well and never went away, despite posts on this forum.
Let me remind you of the frontage of our website.

"Cycling UK is a trading name of Cyclists’ Touring Club (CTC) a company limited by guarantee, registered in England no: 25185. "

The CTC exists, and we are members of it.
And it is totally interchangeable.
Be more Mike.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pga wrote:It is a concern that the CTC, or its agents, no longer sell CTC clothing....

Why ? As I understand it the function of the CTC is now campaigning. It not really a member focused organisation, rather spending it's resources on national campaigns. For such an organisation is it right that it should expend resources on on member benefits (which even if over priced are unlikely to sell in volumes to even cover the costs of production).

pga wrote:Perhaps we could prevail upon the new whizz kids at the CTC helm to look into this and produce two or three design options by professional designers and put these to the vote by the whole membership.....

Only last year when they were forced to hold a vote of the whole membership over a very major issue (vote called by a large number of petitioners) there was no end of criticism from the Executive over the costs for the vote exercise. Should similar costs be incurred for something like a few T-shirts and branded product when the focus of the organisation has moved away from membership and instead to its campaigns.

Ian
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Here we go ....
At the risk of ;
1.Sounding like an idiot.
2. Repeating a thousand posts again.
3. Stating the bleeding obvious.

Why does someone not table a no confidence vote in the board / trustees / whoever, if members are unhappy with the way the CTC Ltd. has headed ...?
Because if there is no vote it is an acceptance of the present situation by default ....
Or have we been here before and i was asleep at the time or where the heretics burnt at the Tommy Simpson Memorial as a warning to others ??
Be more Mike.
PH

Post by PH »

landsurfer wrote:Here we go ....
At the risk of ;
1.Sounding like an idiot.
2. Repeating a thousand posts again.
3. Stating the bleeding obvious.

Why does someone not table a no confidence vote in the board / trustees / whoever, if members are unhappy with the way the CTC Ltd. has headed ...?
Or have we been here before and i was asleep at the time or where the heretics burnt at the Tommy Simpson Memorial as a warning to others ??

Yes we've been here before, again and again. The big changes that some on here object to have been approved by the membership, charity conversion and name change probably the biggest though there have been plenty of others. Why would the membership vote no confidence in an organisation that's doing what the membership has already approved? Answer 1.