Hostile reaction to cheery greeting - Is it just me?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
MikeF

Re: Hostile reaction to cheery greeting - Is it just me?

Post by MikeF »

nigelnightmare wrote:When I get told to use my bell after politely asking them to move I tend to comply.

I don't have a BELL anymore.
I've got an "AIRZOUND" horn 120 decibels. :twisted:

You should see how quickly people move out of the way when you BLAST them with that :lol:
and when they start mouthing off I just "give em another BLAST".

Problem solved? Probably not but it is most satisfying.
Just remember those you blasted are probably drivers, maybe even HGV drivers. They may want the last laugh as they squidge you into the gutter! :wink: Make sure they don't mistake me for you though.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I know a few people who have those small squeeze bulb horns (really intended for children) to use on shared facilities.

They seem to work quite well as they are loud enough to be heard but ridiculous enough sounding to not easily be construed as aggressive. :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Bells are just like car horns, 'get out of the way' or 'I'm coming through' and are mostly received as such
If you're that close to someone that an incident may happen then go slow/er, as you are presenting more harm on bike than the person walking it's encumbent on you to ensure they are safe and not just ring a bell to notify them of your presence and/or expect them to cede way.

if you expect to be treated like this by a motorvehicle when on bike then that's all good, except we don't, why should this happen to people whom are walking and be on the receiving end by people on bikes?
Ringing a bell is utterly pointless IMHO.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
The utility cyclist wrote:Bells are just like car horns, 'get out of the way' or 'I'm coming through' and are mostly received as such
If you're that close to someone that an incident may happen then go slow/er, as you are presenting more harm on bike than the person walking it's encumbent on you to ensure they are safe and not just ring a bell to notify them of your presence and/or expect them to cede way.

if you expect to be treated like this by a motorvehicle when on bike then that's all good, except we don't, why should this happen to people whom are walking and be on the receiving end by people on bikes?

Seems that we have turned the post on its head.
How does using a bell mean that we are an antagonist :?:
Whilst I get thank you's I will continue to use my bell.
Don't you think that we do also use our voice ending with please BUT continued to be ignored by the other shared users.............
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
meic

Post by meic »

It does rather miss the point that the whole thread is about pedestrians complaining that a cyclist didnt use a bell.
Yma o Hyd
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

The utility cyclist wrote:Bells are just like car horns, 'get out of the way' or 'I'm coming through' and are mostly received as such

Depends how you use one. Shared use paths are where they are most useful (and needed). Most people will hear a bell. I ring mine when I'm say 8-10 seconds away from them say 50yards distance. That gives them time to react or not as the case may be, and it gives me time to judge whether they know I'm there or not.

Walkers will use any part of the path so it's necessary to alert them of your presence - there aren't any pedestrian "rules" of where they should be on the path. On a carriageway there are rules - we drive on the left and overtake on the right and that's the way slower moving traffic can cede to faster traffic.
I don't peddle bikes.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
MikeF wrote:

Depends how you use one. Shared use paths are where they are most useful (and needed). Most people will hear a bell. I ring mine when I'm say 8-10 seconds away from them say 50yards distance. That gives them time to react or not as the case may be, and it gives me time to judge whether they know I'm there or not.

Walkers will use any part of the path so it's necessary to alert them of your presence - there aren't any pedestrian "rules" of where they should be on the path. On a carriageway there are rules - we drive on the left and overtake on the right and that's the way slower moving traffic can cede to faster traffic.

+1
My emphasis underlined, the sensible way we use bells :wink:
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

meic wrote:It does rather miss the point that the whole thread is about pedestrians complaining that a cyclist didnt use a bell.

No it doesn't, it's exploring the use of a bell and whether in fact they are actually useful or not. IMHO they simply aren't, either you ride with respect to others or you don't, a bell is not needed for that.
The 'cheery greeting' given by the OP is taken different ways by different people as they described, however a bell is taken far more negatively far more often and is reported as such all over the place. Ask people whom are on towpaths and such how they feel when a bell is rung behind them, compared to someone coming up slowly and using an excuse me if there's not enough space to get past. VAST difference in responses more often than not.
It seems that some people on bikes expect the same deference of pedestrians as those in cars do to people on bikes, I've never had a bell on my bike and I've NEVER ever had a problem slowing down for walkers and or asking them to move over a bit to get past and had a negative reaction, bell ringers well...
meic

Post by meic »

The OP is clearly damned if he does and damned if he doesnt, just like the rest of us.
Yma o Hyd
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

In Germany one must have a bell. It makes a friendly sound that most people can identify. One must be careful when approaching walkers from behind. Are they drunk, or listening to loud music on tiny headphones?

Bell: +2!

I do love the opinions on these fora where people have quite different opinions/experiences of the same subject. :)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
meic wrote:The OP is clearly damned if he does and damned if he doesnt, just like the rest of us.

Yeh meic I knew you were bad :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

The utility cyclist wrote: Ask people whom are on towpaths and such how they feel when a bell is rung behind them, compared to someone coming up slowly and using an excuse me if there's not enough space to get past. VAST difference in responses more often than not.
It seems that some people on bikes expect the same deference of pedestrians as those in cars do to people on bikes, I've never had a bell on my bike and I've NEVER ever had a problem slowing down for walkers and or asking them to move over a bit to get past and had a negative reaction, bell ringers well...
We don't have towpaths anywhere near here, but the ones I've used (walking) seem to be quite unsuitable for shared use. They are generally far too narrow and not that easy to even walk side by side in places. Cyclists are effectively secondary users on these rather than shared users and I wouldn't describe them as "shared paths". Shared paths need a width (usable surface) of 2.5metres or more - maybe there are towpaths that fit this, but I've never used any. They also have an unguarded water hazard. :wink:
I don't peddle bikes.
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

nigelnightmare wrote:When I get told to use my bell after politely asking them to move I tend to comply.

I don't have a BELL anymore.
I've got an "AIRZOUND" horn 120 decibels. :twisted:

You should see how quickly people move out of the way when you BLAST them with that :lol:
and when they start mouthing off I just "give em another BLAST".

Problem solved? Probably not but it is most satisfying.

I have one of those as well and its nice to have for emergencies. You can operate it without blasting everyone and it can be a bit comical. :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I love those hooters for children, they are available as dinosaurs or elephants.

I think the conflicting opinions arise because there are many types of shared path, wide or narrow with little or much use. When walking on a road one should keep right in the UK, walking along on a shared path I keep to one side.

When cycling in groups we always single out. But the groups of joggers are a nuisance, they stay two or more abreast and see nothing wrong with brushing against a stranger with a combined speed of 20kmh :x
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:with a combined speed of 20kmh :x

20kmh? That's not jogging that's a sprint! Most joggers run at about 8-12 kmh, particularly if they're two abreast.

What about pedestrians walking three, sometimes even four abreast!
It's about time we made all this side by side shenanigans illegal, everyone is doing it these days. Don't know what the world is coming to...