Myklops Mirror?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Dave W

Myklops Mirror?

Post by Dave W »

Norman H

Re: Myklops Mirror?

Post by Norman H »

Is this for the new recumbent? ----- I'm not sure how well it would work in that situation.

I first saw them, or something very similar, at the Bike show about three years ago. There's a link to their web site in this thread.
john4703

Post by john4703 »

I use this and think it is better than one on your arm as it stays fixed. I am not on a recumbent but I can see the same problem that any small movement of your hand would change the view.
Don't let them win but keep up the struggle and wear them all down by our persistence.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

john4703 wrote:I use this and think it is better than one on your arm as it stays fixed. I am not on a recumbent but I can see the same problem that any small movement of your hand would change the view.

+1
I use the Cateye BM-300G:- http://www.cateye.com/intl/products/detail/BM-300G/
The designed for drop bar ID it can be made to fit straights with a bit of persuasion.

The wriststrap one is fraught with problems,not least that to adjust it on the move would need one hand over the top of the other and that it will need constant adjustment as hand movement changes,not a good design at all.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

Dave W wrote:https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/myklops-wearable-rear-view-mirror/

Anyone tried one?

I like the idea of that - and I was going to make something similar.

I currently use Zefal mirrors, but like all bar mounted ones, they get knocked out of position easily, when passing though control gates and tight spaces.

I have rigged up a bracket (as mentioned in another thread) to move the mirror inward on the bars and it works great for my commute.

However, I would like something for my other bike - for my weekend off road use - where there are a few miles of road to and from the trails.
I don't really want something fixed to that bike (the point of the singlespeed was no clutter on the bars)

I have just pulled the trigger on one and will let you know how I get on
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

I bought one of these ages ago: https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/b--m-cycle-star-901-mirror/aid:199229?channable=e8467.MTk5MjI5&gclid=Cj0KEQiA2uDEBRDxurOO77Cp-7kBEiQAOUgKVytwySUydWoU0a8F81piOxM3YgOo27AM1J61XFLdzoEaAhsn8P8HAQ

In no time at all, the bike fell over and the stalk broke near to the point where it clamps into your bar-end. So I wrapped the remaining stalk in sticky tape and rammed the whole thing inside my handlebar so the mirror just pokes out. It's perfectly secure, and the mirror is still on an articulating ball joint so you can move it around to the right position, but there's plenty of friction to stop it wandering when you don't want it to. If ever you drop your bike heavily, the mirror can pop off the ball-joint, but you simply press it hard to get it back on.
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Hello, the wrist-mounted mirror does have an additional function.

If I get an itch and feel the need to scratch anything - sort of behind me, and lower down a bit - I can see exactly where I am aiming, but that's not a view to be taken lightly nor published on this forum.

Ah, happy daze.
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

Got mine back today and wore it home on the commute and I love it.

The field of vision is very good - although it's going to take some time getting used to, mainly how far objects are behind you, compared to my other mirror(s). Despite this, I found myself using this mirror constantly and not looking at the one I have installed below the bars at all.

My only gripe is the strap, which is a bit of a faff to adjust and fasten. Imagine trying to put a watch on your right wrist if you are not left-handed. I can see me replacing the strap for an elasticated alternative.

That aside, it's very easy to setup, use and stow, even with thick waterproof gloves on.

It is perfect for me and I would recommend it to anyone with similar needs

Big thanks to Dave for pointing this out
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

Mine arrived yesterday I've not used it yet. A lot of money for what it is. Loads of adjustability, the whole base can be turned, the mirror can be extended, strap is a bit odd but I've sorted it. I was using two Zefal spin mirrors on the recumbent with very limited success. Hopefully give it a go tomorrow.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

reohn2 wrote:
john4703 wrote:I use this and think it is better than one on your arm as it stays fixed. I am not on a recumbent but I can see the same problem that any small movement of your hand would change the view.

+1
I use the Cateye BM-300G:- http://www.cateye.com/intl/products/detail/BM-300G/
The designed for drop bar ID it can be made to fit straights with a bit of persuasion.

The wriststrap one is fraught with problems,not least that to adjust it on the move would need one hand over the top of the other and that it will need constant adjustment as hand movement changes,not a good design at all.
But surely if you have bar end shifters you can't use it.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Bill Reynolds

Post by Bill Reynolds »

I brought one of these as I need a mirror as I am deaf. Up to now I have used a Cateye mirror with the end of the handlebar plug put in the end of my right hand bar end. This mirror looks alright but if I get tired of it I find that it straps to the above bar end and be comes again...a fixed mirror!!.......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

MikeF wrote:But surely if you have bar end shifters you can't use it.

Sorry missed this post.
No you can't use one with b/end shifters,but then I don't have them :wink:
If you do you could use another type of mirror :wink:
One of these would fit drops:- https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories ... py-mirror/
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

I use one of these. I wouldn't be without it. It gives tremendous rear view (wide angle) because it's close to the eye. And I can add to that wide angle view by moving my head. The only problems are (a) you have to be a spectacle use and (b) it's made for the American market, so you have to do some bending of the arm to correct it for that bias.

I'm a recumbent rider, so the wide angle is especially useful, because you can't twist your body so easily. But, it's transferablle when I'm on my Brommie because the adjustability is easy.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories ... es-mirror/
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

reohn2 wrote:
MikeF wrote:But surely if you have bar end shifters you can't use it.

Sorry missed this post.
No you can't use one with b/end shifters,but then I don't have them :wink:
If you do you could use another type of mirror :wink:
One of these would fit drops:- https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories ... py-mirror/
Thanks. That looks a possibility.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

reohn2 wrote:One of these would fit drops:- https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories ... py-mirror/

I tried one of these but it was so small I found it useless.