Mudguards

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Phil Fouracre

Mudguards

Post by Phil Fouracre »

I know this is probably anathema to some of you, but, anyone suggest any sensible mudguards for a mountain bike. We are riding full suss bikes, purely for leisure on tracks and roads and can't find 'sensible' ones anywhere. Just want to avoid being covered in crap, particularly at this time of the year. 27" wheels with 2.5 tyres tend to send it everywhere. Would be nice to fit full road bike guards with enough width to keep everything 'relatively' clean. Any ideas?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Threevok

Re: Mudguards

Post by Threevok »

Top-peak DeFender

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tope ... -prod28768

Very tough, good coverage and so easy to install and remove

The front blades simply click on and off the installed bracket with ease, and the rear has a hinged clamp for ease of use

I use them for commute too.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Threevok wrote:Top-peak DeFender

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tope ... -prod28768

Very tough, good coverage and so easy to install and remove

The front blades simply click on and off the installed bracket with ease, and the rear has a hinged clamp for ease of use

I use them for commute too.

Have used the SKS equivalent on several MTBs, including full sus - last well and keep most of the cack of you, if not the bike.
"42"
Labrat

Post by Labrat »

Have found the mughugger guards to be excellent, very robust, one rear one did however need a bit of butchering for my full suss
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I have an SKS Beavertail on the back, held in place more effectively than usual by cable-ties on to the top deck of the rack... but that wouldn't really work with full-suss, I suspect. There is a front one too, but couldn't get it properly happy with the fork, so I need something for the front. I was going to transfer the crud-catcher from my old one but the tubes on the new bike are too big for it. This is, perhaps, a job for Captain January Sales...

(why so few people put 'guards on MTBs is a mystery to me too!)

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

pjclinch wrote:(why so few people put 'guards on MTBs is a mystery to me too!)

There is quite a stigma attached to "mudgers" in the MTB world. I must admit - I only fit mine for commute purposes, normally

and I blindly refuse to fit them to my single speed :shock:
hamster

Post by hamster »

If you think a brown skid up your backside is a fashionable look, fair enough. I'm completely the opposite! Run Crud Catcher and Crud Guard. I've since had a dry backside on all rides, plus no seized seatposts.
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

hamster wrote:If you think a brown skid up your backside is a fashionable look, fair enough. I'm completely the opposite! Run Crud Catcher and Crud Guard. I've since had a dry backside on all rides, plus no seized seatposts.

When all of me and the bike is covered in mud, the only brown skids are on the inside of my shorts - with some of the hills around here
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

For my ridng use, I consider mudguards to be a complete nuisance and inconvenience.

I've broken countless mudguards over the years, and the Topeak Defender being the worst of the lot, with two breaking in a row. Ridng off road, sooner or later you are going to fall off riding off road, and in the case of the afore mentioned it will snap.

Other inconveniences include getting snagged up on branches and undergrowth whilst riding tight terrain, being right in the way when the time comes to move/carry the bike over an obstacle/fence, and in many cases the mudguards fit too close to the seat stays, and just cause problems in relation to build up of mud and leaves.

I've lost count of the amount of mtb events that I have taken part in, where people using mudguards have either had them ripped from the bike, or just removed and discarded them in the hedge.

I probably ride about 3,500 miles a year off road, riding three evenings/nights per week, and at least one day over the weekend, in all weather conditions, and my conclusion is that the only place that needs protecting from mud is the face. A front Rapidracer Neoguard is all that is required for that.

Each to their own though. :)

Typical winter riding conditions where using a mudguard has caused me hassle.

hamster

Post by hamster »

When it gets that claggy then nothing will keep you clean - I also note that the chainstays are as equally clogged as the guard, so I doubt if it makes much difference. It's just that it hits the guard first. The Crud type do not clip to (or impede) the chainstays, FWIW.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

clip-on rear fenders would also be annoying when going downhill and moving back with your bum off the saddle, this thing being right in the way... :?
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

Gattonero wrote:clip-on rear fenders would also be annoying when going downhill and moving back with your bum off the saddle, this thing being right in the way... :?

Exactly.

And as all of my bikes run dropper posts, the issue would be made even worse. Mudguards are only of any use for riding disused railways lines, country parks and cycle lanes.

I really rate my front Neoguard, but even that is an impossibility on my next bike that has upside down front forks.