what cheap second hand touring bike?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Gattonero

Re: what cheap second hand touring bike?

Post by Gattonero »

To be fair, a couple of years ago an ex colleague borrowed an old Specialized Rockhopper (26", v-brakes, steel), fitted a front rack and went out touring for a month in the US midwest. No brainer.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

Heltor Chasca wrote:I ended up a with year-old ali Cube Acid. Awesome spec and value with hydraulic brakes (a first for me, as I've only had cable discs) I haven't had to repair them yet, but I'm sure they are simple enough if you have the bleed kit etc. I guess you would carry that in your touring tool bag.

I got this to tour off road. To get out to anywhere decent I inevitably had to go by road. I was amazed at how comfy it was. The ali frame hasn't compromised my physical health over a few days riding . [emoji6]

How much did you pay for your Cube Acid? Also does it not have suspension forks, as I can't image that is very conducive to touring.
glasgowjim

Post by glasgowjim »

did a tour of sweden in sept this year just used an old alu frame that was originally my sons jump bike. Put a 48/38/28 front chain ring on it as it already had 8 speed cassette at back.It also had on old elastomer based suspension fork as well. Put a set of schwalbe 2" slicks on it and off I went. with a suspension seatpost amnd gel saddle from Aldi. It was a good bike could tour easily on it.
Noiseboy

Post by Noiseboy »

Hi Tommydog, how does this fit your requirements for a tourer,

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=112386

Cheers Tom
Heltor Chasca

what cheap second hand touring bike?

Post by Heltor Chasca »

tommydog wrote:
Heltor Chasca wrote:I ended up a with year-old ali Cube Acid. Awesome spec and value with hydraulic brakes (a first for me, as I've only had cable discs) I haven't had to repair them yet, but I'm sure they are simple enough if you have the bleed kit etc. I guess you would carry that in your touring tool bag.

I got this to tour off road. To get out to anywhere decent I inevitably had to go by road. I was amazed at how comfy it was. The ali frame hasn't compromised my physical health over a few days riding . [emoji6]

How much did you pay for your Cube Acid? Also does it not have suspension forks, as I can't image that is very conducive to touring.

My pleasure [emoji57]

Like I said I got this for OFF ROAD touring/bikepacking so yes it does have suspension forks. I also use this to 'play' with so I like the option of suspension. And you can lock them out when you are on the road.

It's very comfy so in my opinion very conducive to touring.