The etiquette of selling

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
700c

Re: The etiquette of selling

Post by 700c »

I sell to who I want to sell to. I'm the seller, it's mine to do with as I please.

First come, first served - what a load of tosh.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

reohn2 wrote:
Better that than what happened to me recently when selling a bike,a buyer sent me a very positive PM,then asked some further questions about sizing to which I replied promptly.
Then nothing.
S/he has the right not to reply,but it's very bad manners IMV when a simple no thanks[insert excuse of their choice],would suffice and not leave someone hanging on for a week or two.

FWIW the person mentioned above has since I posted it PM'd me and apologised for their oversight,so all's well that ends well and no hard feelings on my part.
As you were :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Maybe it's not so important for an inexpensive item, but a seller may elect to sell something to someone (meic for example? ;)) because he's been around the forum for a while, rather than someone who joins just to put 'pm sent' on a thread.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I have sold and bought and bargains too.
I hope I helped out in the same way which others have helped me, If I have what they want in my box+n and I can spare it I sell it.

I think its prudent to wait for monies before sending item that's how it works anywhere else, I would not fall in to a trap of sending goods just at same time either.

Most people have a PayPal account of know someone who has and there is added protection I think?
Even bank transfer works well too.

I admit that if I see PM sent I think its sold but why would I ? A pm is private so no need to advertise.
Normally I send a PM and if accepted then the seller announces sold.

If you post at a price, then first response to buy is a deal for sure, backing out later for no reason is bad manners, if you wanted more then you should of upped it before posting.
I tend to think that the bargains I have had here are from people who just want to help not make loadsamoney but others might feel different

I would tend to check on ebay how much items are worth before posting sales or buying, that's fair for sure.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Spinners wrote:
Malky 1422 wrote:... so beware of trusting people until the item has been paid for and they have it.

Amen to that brother! I sold two low value items through the forum last year, even enclosing SAE's for the single note cash payment but I've still not received payment. One purchaser has finally acknowledged this and I'm hoping that my faith in selling through the forum will be partially restored.

Edit: I'm pleased to say that one issue has been resolved and that a third sale has all gone well. So it's just one out of three non-payers now.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Alan O

Post by Alan O »

On the "PM sent" thing... I haven't used the classifieds here but I have on other sites, and I've always posted quick reply whenever I've had a "PM sent" message.

If it's just a query or an unacceptable offer I'll reply asap to say it's still for sale.

If it's an acceptable offer I'll reply with something like "Provisionally sold" and then follow up later with either a confirmation that it's sold or a message to say it's still for sale.

Alan
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Sold pending payment usually works on other sites (and speeds up lazy payers!)
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I have the opposite problem .. ish ...
I sold an item through the forum pages and the buyer paid promptly ..... i dispatched the item.
They where unhappy with the product, became quite aireated about it and demanded a refund ....
Which i was quite happy to provide .... with postage .... by PAYPAL.

But they have not returned the goods ........ nearly 3 weeks now and pm's ignored .....

So they have the goods and their money returned ....... I wonder, is that theft ?
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

You shouldn't have sent the refund until you'd received the item!
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

20 / 20 Hindsight :roll: ..... your right of course .... but i tend to trust people on this forum .... lesson learnt.
Be more Mike.
PH

Post by PH »

landsurfer wrote:So they have the goods and their money returned ....... I wonder, is that theft ?

Yes, pass it to paypall, it's what you pay the fees for.
That's if you paid them of course, if you did it as a friend they're not interested about friends falling out.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

OH YES .... so thats why they asked me to transfer the funds as a family member ....
Well I have the address they provided, a 101 call to West Sussex police may be in the offing ...... .....
All this for a Carradice Bag .......
But ... I wonder how many times this ploy has been used before.
If a moderator would like to pm me i will provide their site details .....
Be more Mike.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Spinners wrote:
Malky 1422 wrote:... so beware of trusting people until the item has been paid for and they have it.

Amen to that brother! I sold two low value items through the forum last year, even enclosing SAE's for the single note cash payment but I've still not received payment. One purchaser has finally acknowledged this and I'm hoping that my faith in selling through the forum will be partially restored.

Come on whoever you are pay up as your letting the standard of this forum down.
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

First person that pays , we can all say interested then change our mind once we sober up or come to our senses

What you selling anyway ?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

landsurfer wrote:OH YES .... so thats why they asked me to transfer the funds as a family member ....
Well I have the address they provided, a 101 call to West Sussex police may be in the offing ...... .....
All this for a Carradice Bag .......
But ... I wonder how many times this ploy has been used before.
If a moderator would like to pm me i will provide their site details .....

That sort of behaviour is a bit tacky to say the least......
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker