Odd old Dawes? 1-Down? What is this?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
colin54

Re: Odd old Dawes? 1-Down? What is this?

Post by colin54 »

...and a long thread about them both here..

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=94304
Nu-Fogey
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I can't find the geometry charts on their site where are they?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
colin54

Post by colin54 »

R2, I get a 404 error off of your last post, but if I click on my original link it takes me to the chart which

has geometry for all the touring bikes.If you go to the individual bike...Coast to Coast for example, click

on 'view info' then click on ' touring geometry' box on RHS, it then gives you an overview of all the

tourer's geometries.Click on large full screen version for picture which you can expand by the icon

in the top right hand corner.

Or have a look at these scruffy pictures wot I just took !

P1080571 (640x324).jpg

P1080569 (640x346).jpg

P1080570 (640x324).jpg
Nu-Fogey
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Colin54
Got it now(your link worked for me too on your first post).
I'm as thick as a brick,couldn't see the geometry link which was staring right at me as large as life,Doh! :shock: :? :roll: .

I don't know why they insist on a 73deg seatube angle :? ,everything else is about right though.
W H Auden
Braindrain

Post by Braindrain »

I'm interested in keeping this thread going, seeing as I've recently bought a one down frame. If anyone's interested I bought it from Bikeshed. They did give advice on sizing and I went with the 53cm frame, which I hope is the right size for me at 5'9" and a bit (now I see that Si is taller and has the smaller frame).
Anyway, they actually picked one out for me that was hanging up in their shop, which is separate from the eBay side of the operation. The frame is virtually pristine (in the orange metallic paint) save for a bit of paint missing under chainstay. From my chat with the staff it does sound like they have quite a few left. The shop price is more than the eBay price, but they did do me a very good deal.
There are no 631 stickers on mine which makes me wonder if a different tubing was used.
Finding forks has been not as easy as I though as many rigid mtb forks with 1 1/8th stem are quite chunky and look out of place on such a sleek frame. In the end I managed to get a pair of NOS Raleigh forks (in metallic green!)from nidderdale cycles on eBay along with a set of hand built wheels. Overall, the colour scheme is not going to be pleasing. :shock:
Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting it all build up. Has anyone any advice regarding which brakes to use with STIs? Also does anyone have a scam of the Dawes catalogue covering the one down which they'd like to share?
Si

Post by Si »

(now I see that Si is taller and has the smaller frame).

TBF, I do tend towards the smallest frame I can fit on as long as the head tube is long enough! I believe that I would have been just as comfortable on the larger frame when using it as a tourer.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I think the frame sizes were too small. The largest was only 57cm and the top tube too short, the one I have, and frankly was too small but i have made it work and very happy with mine now, though it alll looks a bit odd when no panniers Am I the only one who bought one new here? I dont think they sold well at the time why there are a number of frames still for sale, never turned into complete bikes with out the stickers. as long as they have the crossword stickers on they are prob the real thing - the 631 was only the main tubes, not the stays

Mine came with drop bars, V brakes and RSX STI and uses travel agents to deal with the pull issue.Works well best to get the ones that allow you to change the setting as the blocks wear - SJS cycles has them at about £14 each. The fork was a unicrown and quite wide and chunkier than you would get on the Galaxy, as it supported bolt thru low riders. well if any one has publicty for the 1999 1-Down I would for one like to see it! It seems for the most part to have vanished from Google, never existed?

how much did you pay Braindrain?
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Large one (57cm) for sale on the Bay of Ease at the moment, bar - end shifters rather than STI's though, no connection to seller.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dawes-1Down-T ... SwOgdYpWN9
Nu-Fogey
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

colin54 wrote:Large one (57cm) for sale on the Bay of Ease at the moment, bar - end shifters rather than STI's though, no connection to seller.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dawes-1Down-T ... SwOgdYpWN9

wow the frame look in good condition. Forks at the low rider holes look a bit naff

all thats origional is the frame and forks and bars maybe the end shifters

the chainset not nor the rear carrier. But if it goesf for that price would be worth getting just for the frame and forks? the paint on those bikes was pretty good
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Looks very nice in orange. I have the staid silver model.

Looks like it can fit a lot larger tyres than mine - marathon winters struggle to fit and catch and rub.

I must have a different fork as I bought mine second hand.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Si

Post by Si »

I think there was more than one fork sold with the one down. Mine easily gets the marathon winters in, but doesn't have the LR mounts. Although I've now got a surley fork with LR and disc mounts.....just a pity the colour clashes a bit!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The Sardar was a nice bike,forum member Fast but Dim has one in 'Marmite' metalic bronze,nice bike indeed.
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Si wrote:I think there was more than one fork sold with the one down. Mine easily gets the marathon winters in, but doesn't have the LR mounts. Although I've now got a surley fork with LR and disc mounts.....just a pity the colour clashes a bit!

I doubt it as they all came with ( the same ) low riders? it was being sold as a touring bike

The trouble with fitting fat tyres is that you can do on the front but the rear you cant raise the mudgaurd high enough - thats why in the ebay bike 'quards on the front but not the rear. The front guard looks original. I am surprised it dont have the dreaded white lurgy as mine went that way even when the bike saw very little rain. black 'guards are better
Si

Post by Si »

I seem to remember reading an account of how the model came about, written by the originator. Suggested that it did start as a bit of a mishmash!

Anyhow, mines due a bit of a serious rebuild as the seat post has welded itself in the frame :(
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Ouch. Good luck with sorting that out.

I must admit I've been lax with greasing seat posts in the past, but I've always got away with it, even though I've left gaps of up to 7 years between applications...
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.