Modern bike weights

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Si

Modern bike weights

Post by Si »

Transporting my self back to the 1990s when bike weight was everything :lol:

These days, as I've not bought a new bike for many years, what would you expect a good clubman*-standard bike to weigh in the following categories:
- road/race replica
- audax
- road endurance (ie a race bike that's a lot more comfortable fit wise but still pretends to be a fast/race bike)
- gravel/adventure (ie a comfortable, long ride capable cx-alike bike rather than a tourer)

...including pedals!

Not that I'm about to choose a bike on weight, I know that there are more important things, but just wondering where the current averages are......I think that when I got my 'race' bike (653 frame) 22lbs was seen as pretty reasonable! I'm guessing things have reduced dramatically since then with the advent of widespread use of Alu, Carbon, etc. Looking at a few reviews, it seems that what one reviewers sees as a fast light road bike another dismisses as a bit porky!

* or even clubperson!
Tompsk

Re: Modern bike weights

Post by Tompsk »

How long is a piece of string! Without much research some rough and ready 'target' figures would perhaps be 8kg for race and 9kg to 11kg for the others. This heavily dependent on what you are prepared to spend and what you define as an Audax / adventure bike; mudguards, carrier, lights, tough tyres... (you mentioned pedals - these can vary by several 100g)

YMMV!
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Simplest thing might be to look up the data (or try to find real world figures) for particular models in each category. Which leads to another point: weight when they leave the shop or as actually ridden, which in some cases is going to be a bit different from the manufactured state? But those categories themselves are hard to define: audax (at least in terms of what is ridden on audaxes) in particular would encompass the other three.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

My 1980-84 time trial bike, Holdsworth 531DB frame, Campag Record groupset, second hand from Charlie Alexanders shop in Cardiff. Wheels Maillard hubs on alloy rims with Barum tubs, DB spokes tied and soldered !!!
19 LBS .... SUPER LIGHTWEIGHT !!!!!
And i still think so ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

For the sake of argument:

• road/race replica: 8 kg (7 kg if you spend car money)
  • audax: 10–11 kg (mudguards, comfy saddle, dynamo lights, three chainrings, etc.)
  • road endurance: 9 kg (carbon, disc brakes)
  • gravel/adventure: 12 kg (steel, discs, big tyres, etc.)
Exceptions abound, of course. If I bought a ‘race’ bike it would likely be steel and therefore more than 8 kg.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Here are my actual bike weights as weighed ready to ride including pedals (i'm sort of known hereabouts as the weight weenie - I weigh everything!)
  • road/race replica: 7.4kg Carbon frame alloy wheels
  • audax: 10kg Columbus steel, guards, lights
  • road endurance: same bike as the race
  • gravel/adventure: 10.5kg Al frame, lighting, discs, fat tyres, racks

By comparison my rebuilt 1978 steel race bike 531SL with a mix of mid range components weighs 9.5kg - a bit of cash could take a good half kilo off that using period components.

Frame weights are where the biggest changes have occurred as the following examples show (i've tried to use like for like examples):
    1978 Campy Nuovo Record seatpost 265gr
    2014 JL Ti seatpost 218gr

1978 Campy NR front mech braze on 85gr
    2014 Campy Super Record braze on 72gr

1978 Campy SR rear mech 187gr
    2014 Campy SR rear mech 159gr

As you can see the differences aren't particularly big when you look like for like 28gr on the rear mech in 40 years! For tyres my current top spec race rubber (inc tube) weighs almost exactly the same as a 1970's 'training' tubular at 280gr each!
Last edited by foxyrider on 17 Feb 2017, 9:28am, edited 1 time in total.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
A bit like tents, lighter they get easier they blow down or fall apart..................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
whoof

Post by whoof »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
A bit like tents, lighter they get easier they blow down or fall apart..................

The idea of any form of sturdy tent is a complete misnomer. They are all flimsy/flappy things. Much better off with a caravan at the very least or better still a house you can move.
Attachments
house.jpg
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

whoof wrote:

The idea of any form of sturdy tent is a complete misnomer. They are all flimsy/flappy things. Much better off with a caravan at the very least or better still a house you can move.

I guess you'd use the Tubus "Pickfords" model?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

foxyrider wrote:Here are my actual bike weights as weighed ready to ride including pedals (i'm sort of known hereabouts as the weight weenie - I weigh everything!)

gravel/adventure: 10.5kg Al frame, lighting, discs, fat tyres, racks

Can you tell me about the spec/model here?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
whoof wrote:

Bit of a cheeky post from me :)
But what I said was always the way about 20 years ago, and yes material might be better now, you do still today find that light tents do not have as many guy points?

In the past top model in shimano was also not so robust for the money either and nothing much has changed there with freehubs?

I always say that if I was to walk up a hill I would rather carry an extra 5-10 Ibs and feel secure and comfortable.

Some of us treat our gear well but normal punters don't, some of those are easily led to thinking they have best kit but not in their hands.
Just rereading your post, forgive me if I went the wrong way, maybe you are agreeing with me. :)
Nah..........caravans flip over I will stick with the camper :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
whoof

Post by whoof »

whoof wrote:

Bit of a cheeky post from me :)
But what I said was always the way about 20 years ago, and yes material might be better now, you do still today find that light tents do not have as many guy points?

In the past top model in shimano was also not so robust for the money either and nothing much has changed there with freehubs?

I always say that if I was to walk up a hill I would rather carry an extra 5-10 Ibs and feel secure and comfortable.

Some of us treat our gear well but normal punters don't, some of those are easily led to thinking they have best kit but not in their hands.
Just rereading your post, forgive me if I went the wrong way, maybe you are agreeing with me. :)
Nah..........caravans flip over I will stick with the camper :)

No one want to be walking home due to equipment failure and each person has a level at which they think a piece of kit is reliable.

Whilst some may be under the impression that the most expensive and often (but not always) the lightest must be the most robust others seem to think that 'light-weight' bikes are extremely fragile and very prone to breaking. In my experience neither is the case.

I ride a number of bikes ranging from approximately 7.5 -15kgs I have never had to walk home, or get off and walk for that matter.

If you take a different view that fine as long as we both enjoy our riding.
PH

Post by PH »

I was pondering this thread as I walked into work this morning, past the calibrated works despatch scales, which were switched on, I couldn't stop myself instinctively putting the carradice saddlebag on them, I wish I hadn't. There's nothing in it: Small cable lock, couple of tubes, pump, few tools, spare gloves and socks, phone, wallet....
2.8kg!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That seems to be the difference between the lightest and heaviest bikes being talked about here and now I know what it weighs I suspect I'll feel it even though I never have before. To the extent that I'm already thinking about how I can reduce it...
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

PH wrote:IThere's nothing in it: Small cable lock, couple of tubes, pump, few tools, spare gloves and socks, phone, wallet....

No, nothing at all, absolutely empty...
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

PH wrote:I was pondering this thread as I walked into work this morning, past the calibrated works despatch scales, which were switched on, I couldn't stop myself instinctively putting the carradice saddlebag on them, I wish I hadn't. There's nothing in it: Small cable lock, couple of tubes, pump, few tools, spare gloves and socks, phone, wallet....
2.8kg!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I came a cropper because of this. I previously had a set of Mavic Cross-One wheels on my commute, which cracked badly along several eyelets.

When checking the max rider weight of the wheels, I did not take into account the extra weight of the stuff I carry - plus the occasional things I get delivered to work - to take home. - up to 5kg extra sometimes