** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
meic

Re: A RANT thread - Odds and Sods

Post by meic »

Poor Germans, when they dont spend money on their military people complain but when they did spend money on their military people did really complain, twice.
They just cant win, if you excuse the pun.
Yma o Hyd
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

meic wrote:Poor Germans, when they dont spend money on their military people complain but when they did spend money on their military people did really complain, twice.
They just cant win, if you excuse the pun.

Bloody Germans! We cannot stand by while Europe is crushed beneath the heels of their Josef Seibel Comfort Shoes.
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

europe's war is an existential war, and you don't fight existential wars with soldiers, you need poets. still they send soldiers.

by that same token...
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Seen as this is the rant thread here goes.

Those horrid people who want to bring their hatred and fear of others into things that have nothing to do with their paranoia.
Any body turning stuff like this into a political dig should be sent to live in the country they bring up and never return.
Or be forced to live with trump and farage in a squat and no money.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

oh i stay away from those threads. issues soaked in emotion debated exclusively by people that have no practical experience of the things they talk about. it's all hypothetical. i can't believe it's divided the country as much as it has. sure there's some hateful stuff being said on the internet, but platitudes aren't going to save anybody... and morality isn't really fixed, it's unfair to take it out on an individual.

i always want to break up fights on the internet but so far i've not found a way that doesn't involve both parties turning on me.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

My RANT !!

No smart phone.
No facebook.
No instagram
No whatsapp

Nothing .....

No debit card
No credit card
No store card
No loyalty card

No ISP ...
Really ....

WYSINWYG ...

And i still function in life and in business, successfully...
Some are victims, some are volunteers.

I am neither .... and I am not alone ...

"My name is Legion, for we are many" ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

landsurfer wrote:My RANT !!

No smart phone.
No facebook.
No instagram
No whatsapp

Nothing .....

No debit card
No credit card
No store card
No loyalty card

No ISP ...
Really ....

WYSINWYG ...

And i still function in life and in business, successfully...
Some are victims, some are volunteers.

I am neither .... and I am not alone ...

"My name is Legion, for we are many" ...

ISP
But not the rest
Not sure I'd claim a successful life
Certainly wouldn't claim a successful business
If I joined Linkedin
my fortunes might change.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

bovlomov wrote:ISP
But not the rest
Not sure I'd claim a successful life
Certainly wouldn't claim a successful business
If I joined Linkedin
my fortunes might change.

Very good !!!
Very !! :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mercalia

would you bill a date that didnt make it to 2?

Post by mercalia »

"A man who took a woman out on a date has asked her to pay him £42.50 after she turned him down for a second date.
Lucy Brown, 38, from London, had only just started dating again after a three-year relationship came to an end.
Despite the Plenty of Fish date going well at a pub in Clapham, she messaged him to say she wasn’t interested in a second
That’s when things took a turn. He said he was devastated then asked for a ‘contribution for the drinks I spent on you’."

could only happen in London? :lol:

dont know why women these days think they can get a paid night out? so dont know why the lady was suprised? I bet it never occured to her to pay for the evening? equality is equality?

The guy should was put in an impossible position by the scheming on the make woman? :wink:

Full marks to the guy for standing up against female double standards :lol:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/15/man-sends-woman-bill-for-42-50-after-she-turned-him-down-for-second-date-6449247/

"Oh I aint got that"
https://www.facebook.com/Channel4/videos/10154084521542330/
Last edited by mercalia on 17 Feb 2017, 11:41am, edited 1 time in total.
gaz

Re: Odds and sods and bits and bobs and the rations gone down again rant thread

Post by gaz »

mercalia wrote:He said he was devastated then asked for a ‘contribution for the drinks I spent on you’.

FWIW, assessed with the benefit of hindsight provided through the limited information presented in the above post, I think not going on the second date was the right call.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mercalia

Re: A RANT thread

Post by mercalia »

ChrisOntLancs wrote:yeah it's scary how people are ready to give up everything to technology, and caution is seen as luddite..ism... when it's not so much the nature of technology people are scared of, it's the people that make it.

it's funny that i go on about the govt tracking me, then post details of my days riding on twitter (when i had it!)

have you even* seen lo and behold?

EDIT this being the rant thread, i added the word 'even' to make my innocent question sound patronising and rude, i hope you approve, but really it is a good film if you haven't seen it

seems like the Germans have been told to destroy their Cayla dolls
"German parents told to destroy Cayla dolls over hacking fears
so not only can they be hacked to open doors but also reveal personal info

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39002142
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Perhaps some good person could explain to me, how a doll can open a door. I confess to being utterly mystified.

I should maybe explain that all the doors in our house are of the type which you open by turning a handle, or (in the case of the front door) by inserting a key in a lock, twisting, and pushing.

Or are we talking about train doors, which can only be opened by a RMT-enabled doll?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

661-Pete wrote:Perhaps some good person could explain to me, how a doll can open a door. I confess to being utterly mystified.

I should maybe explain that all the doors in our house are of the type which you open by turning a handle, or (in the case of the front door) by inserting a key in a lock, twisting, and pushing.

Or are we talking about train doors, which can only be opened by a RMT-enabled doll?

early part of this thread on same topic of Cayla dolls. The latest thing is to have smart locked doors at home

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38966285

Cayla is turning out to be a very loose lady with no morals will do any thing for you :lol:
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

to be honest i thought the extent of casualties for the internet of things would be a few lives ruined due to a lack of vigilance in privacy settings but this is getting to be quite full on.

makes my suggestion look quite tame!

pete, the doll doesn't open the door, the doll is used to get access to the network, and theoretically it could still be anything, but the 'internet of things' means a bunch of stuff gets wireless access, without having the robust security of a barely maintained laptop.

people are still the weak link in IT security, it's just now laptops and computers come with software that will at least have a go of it left to its own devices.

now if you want to know why a doll is hooked up to the wifi.... i've got nothing!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

ChrisOntLancs wrote:to be honest i thought the extent of casualties for the internet of things would be a few lives ruined due to a lack of vigilance in privacy settings but this is getting to be quite full on.

makes my suggestion look quite tame!

pete, the doll doesn't open the door, the doll is used to get access to the network, and theoretically it could still be anything, but the 'internet of things' means a bunch of stuff gets wireless access, without having the robust security of a barely maintained laptop.

people are still the weak link in IT security, it's just now laptops and computers come with software that will at least have a go of it left to its own devices.

now if you want to know why a doll is hooked up to the wifi.... i've got nothing!

actually it does as it can TALK and listens for any one to talk to it and the door can be opened by voice, as I understand it, any way it is the doll that opens the door as a result.. I wonder if Cayla will do her trick at ATM machines.... "ATM machine OPEN SESAME give me £1000 "