Its February still and the gnats are about yet

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Its February still and the gnats are about yet

Post by Mick F »

Bmblbzzz wrote:It has been a mild, wet winter and perhaps more to the point is a mild, wet spring.
Not round here.
Reasonably mild, but certainly not wet.
We've still not had any decent rain since October.
I'm not saying it's not rained, but we've not had it for days/weeks on end like as usual. Just the odd wet day, some of them very wet, but they were isolated days.

I know the facts of this, because a neighbour of ours has a rain gauge and keeps records.

It's not rained here since Monday 6th Feb, though we've had a bit of drizzle once or twice, plus a smattering of snow on Saturday 11th.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:It has been a mild, wet winter and perhaps more to the point is a mild, wet spring.
Not round here.
Reasonably mild, but certainly not wet.
We've still not had any decent rain since October.
I'm not saying it's not rained, but we've not had it for days/weeks on end like as usual. Just the odd wet day, some of them very wet, but they were isolated days.

I know the facts of this, because a neighbour of ours has a rain gauge and keeps records.

It's not rained here since Monday 6th Feb, though we've had a bit of drizzle once or twice, plus a smattering of snow on Saturday 11th.

It's been the same here too,there hasn't been hardly any frost and very little rain.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I reckon this will end up as the driest winter on record ............ or at least in localised areas.
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

ChrisOntLancs wrote:i'm too busy going 'ew pah thuu eck erhu pah EWW I SWALLOWED ONE splffff erff ack er pah splffffff'
Happens to the best people. Whenever I swallow something leggy and vaguely insectoid, I comfort myself by humming the words to the old nursery-rhyme (gender-adjusted):
"There was an old geezer who swallowed a fly/I don't know why he swallowed a fly...."

Then, it need hardly be said, I scan the hedgerows as I ride past, looking out for a spider .... then a bird.....etc.

I can say these sort of things can't I? After all we now live in the post-truth era.... :lol:
Last edited by 661-Pete on 17 Feb 2017, 1:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mick F wrote:I reckon this will end up as the driest winter on record ............ or at least in localised areas.

Poor you. There are still a few pubs open, round our way.... :)
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

i've not come to fully understand it yet pete, but you've got a lovely subtext :lol:
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

661-Pete wrote:
ChrisOntLancs wrote:i'm too busy going 'ew pah thuu eck erhu pah EWW I SWALLOWED ONE splffff erff ack er pah splffffff'
Happens to the best people. Whenever I swallow something leggy and vaguely insectoid, I comfort myself by humming the words to the old nursery-rhyme (gender-adjusted):
"There was an old geezer who swallowed a fly/I don't know why he swallowed a fly...."

Then, it need hardly be said, I scan the hedgerows as I ride past, looking out for a spider .... then a bird.....etc.

I can say these sort of things can't I? After all we now live in the post-truth era.... :lol:

Look at it as free protein!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

foxyrider wrote:
661-Pete wrote:

Look at it as free protein!

well if you think like that dont throw your home waste away until they get maggots then have maggot on toast, all juicy and squirmy
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

In the last few days we've had some ladybirds, and a couple of bees!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

rmurphy195 wrote:In the last few days we've had some ladybirds, and a couple of bees!

Not much meat on those. Shall we send a food parcel?
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
rmurphy195 wrote:In the last few days we've had some ladybirds, and a couple of bees!

Not much meat on those. Shall we send a food parcel?

No thanks, we've got some honey now...
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !