Glasses, Contact Lenses, Cycling etc

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Edwards

Re: Glasses, Contact Lenses, Cycling etc

Post by Edwards »

If you only wear glases for distance stuff you will loose them when you take them off.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
531colin

Post by 531colin »

[XAP]Bob wrote:............. My eyes were involuntarily rolling up, taking the lenses with them.....

Its just practice. Look in the mirror, holding your eye open with thumb and forefinger of one hand. Bring the other index finger up to your eyeball, and touch the eyeball just below the cornea. If you touch the cornea with your finger, it hurts. If you put a soft, moist contact lens on your cornea, you can't feel it at all.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

geocycle wrote:Can you get varifocals built into something like wraparound cycling glasses, or would I have to just go for the distance element? Any recommendations for where such things are to be purchased gratefully received.

Yes, you can, but they don't work as well as regular varifocals. I talked with my glasses place ( a small independent one) about it. They could do it, but it was quite expensive, and they also said the side vision wouldn't be as good as those with just distance correction. I wasn't convinced then that it was worth it. In the end I settled for contacts plus cycling glasses, but I now have to carry some reading glasses to read the menu at the cafe stop, so I will investigate again when I buy new glasses this year.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Asked my Specsavers about cycling glasses. Got told they used to stock puma ones but they don't any more. they don't stock cycling glasses any more. Your best bet is likely to be a small independent. They're more likely to look for something held by their suppliers to help and get the sale.

Doesn't sound a nice experience Bob with the contacts. 45minutes with an optician to get them out? That's not good. I can quite understand that you're not wearing contacts any more. Shows that not all experiences of contacts are positive.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

531colin wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:............. My eyes were involuntarily rolling up, taking the lenses with them.....

Its just practice. Look in the mirror, holding your eye open with thumb and forefinger of one hand. Bring the other index finger up to your eyeball, and touch the eyeball just below the cornea. If you touch the cornea with your finger, it hurts. If you put a soft, moist contact lens on your cornea, you can't feel it at all.

Yep, I can, and could, do that just fine. Just not when the lens was there...
completely involuntary, rather perturbing for the optician
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Edwards wrote:If you only wear glases for distance stuff you will loose them when you take them off.
Unlikey, as only wearing specs for long distance stuff implies a degree of short sightedness, so no problem seeing things near to you ;)

Getting back to the OP, I've had to wear some form of vision correction for distance work for about 40 years. Have tried contacts a couple of times: great in wet weather outdoors, but map reading with contacts in really needed additional reading specs to examine detail, whereas with distance correction specs I just peer under the lenses. I find I need wrap-arounds for fast bike use (photochromic, so no need for sunglasses), but again these can be pushed up for close reading.

HTH
"42"
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Squeaker I meant loose as in forgot where you put them as opposed to not seeing them :wink:
Keith Edwards
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I just use some £1 one from poundland stores as I destroy too many to buy expensive ones & are perfectly ok 1.0 strength does me fine

on another related matter has any one here had the laser eye treatment done?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Edwards wrote:If you only wear glases for distance stuff you will loose them when you take them off.

Get a small jeweller's-type screwdriver (obtainable from most DIY stores, usually as one of a set) and tighten up the screws at the sides of the frame. If they keep on working loose, try a tiny squirt of Loctite on the thread.

Or alternatively learn to spell out the difference between "loose" and "lose".... :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I just use some £1 one from poundland stores
If your eyesight is not up to the standard required for driving (or indeed, cycling) and you attempt this sort of remedy, you are potentially putting yourself and others at risk. Yes I know opticians' services are not cheap, but they charge a premium for a good reason. If you got toothache, would you attempt a DIY job? Fetch out the old Black and Decker and apply it to your chompers? :shock:

I look upon opticians', dentists'. etc., bills as part of the cost of living (although I benefit from the fact that, being a pensioner, I at least get the eye-test for free).

If you are in the habit of destroying your glasses, perhaps better care is called for? I do recall inadvertantly smashing my glasses (that was back in the old days of glass lenses) just a few days before sitting my Finals at Univ. Moment of panic! Luckily I managed to get through to my parents, they dug up an old pair of mine and posted them on to me - just in time!

Laser treatment? No experience of that I'm afraid. But I have read this, as a word of caution. Because I am short-sighted, I wear glasses all the time. Now bifocals. If I'd had the laser, maybe I might have been able to do without for the majority of my adult life. But not now! In common with most others of my age, I'd have had to invest in reading glasses to 'undo' the laser correction which was applied earlier in one's life.

People who wear glasses only for reading have a habit of losing or mislaying them all the time. My wife is one of those people. I count myself lucky in that respect.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Pete if I take my varifolicals of i can not see the skrew. :)

Ps that answe is in the small print :wink:
Keith Edwards
700c

Post by 700c »

My disposable is not too great, same boat...

I went to Tesco Optician where they were doing a promotion; eye testing for a fiver.
I then came home and ordered glasses from "glasses direct", which cost me (if I recall correctly) a grand total of £35 for two pairs of specs.

Now I can read again :)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

531colin wrote:....
For a few years I wore the ones you leave in night and day for a month, I eventually got trouble with them

If not impolite to ask, what problem.

For non-eye related reasons my reading glasses are now rather uncomfortable and a lot less practical so I'm considering contacts. From looking around (no optician input yet) the multifocal (0.0 distance with the addition for reading/close) monthly that you can sleep in looked my preferred choice.

My other worry is that when I discussed with my normal optician last year (before the change making my reading glasses very uncomfortable/impractical) he said that I would not like contacts - reason was that I have perfect distance vision and through contacts that would be worse. So unsure but now at the point of phoning a (different) optician for a free trial.

Ian
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

661-Pete wrote:
I just use some £1 one from poundland stores
If your eyesight is not up to the standard required for driving (or indeed, cycling) and you attempt this sort of remedy, you are potentially putting yourself and others at risk. Yes I know opticians' services are not cheap, but they charge a premium for a good reason. If you got toothache, would you attempt a DIY job? Fetch out the old Black and Decker and apply it to your chompers? :shock:

I look upon opticians', dentists'. etc., bills as part of the cost of living (although I benefit from the fact that, being a pensioner, I at least get the eye-test for free).

If you are in the habit of destroying your glasses, perhaps better care is called for? I do recall inadvertantly smashing my glasses (that was back in the old days of glass lenses) just a few days before sitting my Finals at Univ. Moment of panic! Luckily I managed to get through to my parents, they dug up an old pair of mine and posted them on to me - just in time!

Laser treatment? No experience of that I'm afraid. But I have read this, as a word of caution. Because I am short-sighted, I wear glasses all the time. Now bifocals. If I'd had the laser, maybe I might have been able to do without for the majority of my adult life. But not now! In common with most others of my age, I'd have had to invest in reading glasses to 'undo' the laser correction which was applied earlier in one's life.

People who wear glasses only for reading have a habit of losing or mislaying them all the time. My wife is one of those people. I count myself lucky in that respect.

What a load of hogwash. One good reason for going to an optician is they can diagnose eye issues that reflect health. Other than that if a cheap pair of glasses/lens means you can see to an appriopriate level then what more is there to be gained from an optician's bloated prices - at the end of the day the test is can you see the ABC etc not some special skill only the optician has? the comparison with a dentist is not at all the same
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Traditional thread drift and hand bags became the flavour of this thread. That's this forum for you. [emoji23]

Rather than keeping a close eye on this thread, I found it less painful to dig my eyeballs out with desert spoons. So that's what I've done. Issue solved. Thanks anyway everyone.