Bivvy Bag & Tarp recommendations, please

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Bivvy Bag & Tarp recommendations, please

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Above this weight and height 13.5 & 6'+ most normal sleeping bags are too small........................
Unless you go for a mountain sleeping bag.
Wondered about the SOL, whether its OK for occasional use.
They do do 1M wide bags to day, normally cheap line, you will need this if over 13.5 stone, normal sports bags 2.05 x 0.8 / 0.5.
I see Vango XL are bigger :)

I want to use a bivvy bag but am considering a small canopy over head and shoulders only with bivvy, with enough space in bivvy for luggage for security, but weight total has to be less than tent and bag otherwise whats the point in bag bivvy tarp with air conditioning :?

Edited on length of bag above.
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 22 Feb 2017, 4:46pm, edited 2 times in total.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I don't seem to have any issues with my S2S mummy bag regardless of my weight, at 5'10" it's plenty long enough too.

Maybe a 'tomb' tunnel could work? I wouldn't want to spend time in one but if you don't get claustrophobic it could be the answer.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mercalia

Re: Kelty Range Camping Tarp

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:
mercalia wrote:any one heard of this tarp -

Kelty Range Camping Tarp

seems to be discontinued but selling on ebay at a reasonable price?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kelty-Range-Camping-Tarp-excludes-poles-860-40815714-/152416112709?hash=item237cb55045:g:4kIAAOSwWTRWza~O

on amazon much more expensive -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kelty-Range-Tarp-Size-Green/dp/B00G6KUUSU

I don't think that tarp has any hangers mercalia, which will restrict erection options. On a fast read of that link it seems to recommend that you use two poles. So all in, it's not going to be a lightweight or compact option.

Will be back with a possible recommdndation when on a better keyboard.

Not sure why you have changed the title of your post mercalia, makes things a bit confusing on some forum views of the thread.

well I ve ordered one - I really wanted a single skin type tent/tarp that will close at both ends to hide whats inside to use at things like the York thing, and this fits my needs. It is also silicon coated cover rather than the poly backed. I have the 2 poles from my other tarp and the weight is just about the same which is light enough for me - far better than my Vaude Mk2 which weighs 4 kg which is too good to use in sunlit conditions
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Regular square tarps can be set up in different configurations, some of which form fully closed tent style structures.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

13.5 stone and width of sleeping bag never an issue, but stretched over a 6'5" frame it wouldn't. Length is a big issue though.

Seriously, 13 odd stone should not be an issue with all but the most compact of standard sized sleeping bags. As for bivvies I'd prefer a decent, breathable one over an emergency one any day. Rab survival zone was my bivvy of choice for years. Worn out and leaking badly now but only cost £35 so it's been worth getting.

Be warned about alpkit lengths, i don't trust them. I laid my standard length survival zone next to an alpkit xl and my bivvy was bigger. The dimensions of both would indicate that the SZ is halfway between the standard and xl hunka.

I think given the money now I'd prefer a full cover tarp with a breathable bivvy bag. Something that's got a waterproof base but water resistant/very breathable top to cut out drafts. I've done full cover as well as the head and shoulders only micro tarp style of camping. I'd rather carry a few hundred grams more for the full cover shelter tarp. I know it can then cope with a lot of bad weather.
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

Has anyone used the North Face ASSAULT BIVY - Im thinking of carrying one for those occasions when the weather is reasonable and i just want to doss down somewhere

https://www.thenorthface.co.uk/shop/en-gb/tnf-gb/equipment-equipment-new-arrivals/assault-bivy-CF06?variationId=C8T

I quite like the look of it - fairly roomy? not overly heavy - No experience at all in these things - do you get wetter from condensation than from the dew in the morning
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

psmiffy wrote:Has anyone used the North Face ASSAULT BIVY - Im thinking of carrying one for those occasions when the weather is reasonable and i just want to doss down somewhere

https://www.thenorthface.co.uk/shop/en-gb/tnf-gb/equipment-equipment-new-arrivals/assault-bivy-CF06?variationId=C8T

I quite like the look of it - fairly roomy? not overly heavy - No experience at all in these things - do you get wetter from condensation than from the dew in the morning

seems a lot of money. an important question with bivvy bags is how big/tall are you? if you use a mat some like to put that inside with a sleeping bag & be able to turn over without moving the mat. I am too big for most bivvy bags to do that - so now I have dumped the sleepig bag and use my ex army softy thermal jacket and trousers and a pied d'elephant to keep the feet warm
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

mercalia wrote: seems a lot of money.

It does - but in the overall terms of cycle touring costs is peanuts - at the moment if i "bivvy" I just put a groundsheet down - bag and mat on top and kip - if it is warm enough I just sleep in my bag liner to keep the bugs off (and a headnet if they are really obnoxious) - OK when there is no dew - but can be a bit sodden in the morning if there is - was contemplating a bivvy bag to mitigate against this plus a bit more confidence if there is the possibility of a light shower - as I said no experience with bivvy bags so I would experiment with how i use it
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well have you looked at the Alpkit Hunka ones - 2 sizes £47 & £64 for small and large?. I have the large one, one or other might serve your purpose. I havent used it in vengence but seems ok

https://www.alpkit.com/search/results/eyJrZXl3b3JkcyI6ImJpdnZ5In0
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

We use an Alpkit bivvy bag and tarp. I've written a bit of a review if it helps. http://www.farawayvisions.com/alpkit-hunka-bivvy-bag-review-what-bivi/
meic

Post by meic »

As I have a UL7 Exped Mat and a Hunka XL, I thought I would answer the question in Faraway's blog.

No the Hunka isnt large enough to fit the mat inside, too wide at the foot end.

Then I tried getting just me and an Alpkit Skyhigh 900 long sleeping bag in it.
We only just fit, (or at least I fit and the sleeping bag doesnt quite) Though it did make a very cosy package. Attempting to use the sleeping bag liner as well would have driven me insane.

I was somewhat reminded why I never use a bivybag. How do you get in one without making a mess of everything? You either need your bum in the dirt to get in or your dirty feet in the hood. Possibly I am just not gymnastic enough. Then too restrictive whilst you are in one.

I bought it to use for quick naps when cycling overnight and didnt ever get to use it for that.
I slipped into it dressed and no sleeping bag, to watch the stars up a hill one August night and got cold from the ground in about half an hour. I am considering cutting a closed cell mat to fit in it, then leaving it on the mat when it gets rolled up.

A tent delivers everything you need in a package not much heavier, if the weather is good you can leave bits off your tent. Or not bother putting it up.
Yma o Hyd
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

psmiffy wrote:OK when there is no dew - but can be a bit sodden in the morning if there is - was contemplating a bivvy bag to mitigate against this
Something overhead will keep the dew off. That could be clouds, it could be a tree, or it could be a tarp, though you'll get dew on the underside of the tarp (aka condensation), which may drip off onto you.
A bivvy with no tarp will get dew on its outside. If there's enough to overcome the water repellency on the bivvy and wet it out, it will cease to be breathable and you'll get condensation inside the bivvy where it will get on your sleeping bag.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

andrew_s wrote:
psmiffy wrote:OK when there is no dew - but can be a bit sodden in the morning if there is - was contemplating a bivvy bag to mitigate against this
Something overhead will keep the dew off. That could be clouds, it could be a tree, or it could be a tarp, though you'll get dew on the underside of the tarp (aka condensation), which may drip off onto you.
A bivvy with no tarp will get dew on its outside. If there's enough to overcome the water repellency on the bivvy and wet it out, it will cease to be breathable and you'll get condensation inside the bivvy where it will get on your sleeping bag.

this all seems to be going down the best find a hotel/pub to stay in route ?:lol:
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

mercalia wrote:this all seems to be going down the best find a hotel/pub to stay in route ?:lol:

It was intended to be more along the lines of a tarp being a good idea even if you are using a bivvy.

A further point is that should you have to bed down in a thunderstorm and have no additional shelter, it's very difficult, if not impossible, to get unpacked, put the sleeping bah inside the bivvy, and you inside the sleeping bag, without getting the bag pretty wet.
In my case, the problem was sussing out the bivvy spot in an unobtrusive field corner, and then going to a nearby pub where I couldn't see approaching weather.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
That link north face bivvy is quoted at 58.5 cm wide :?
I suspect nearer 85?
"DIMENSIONS: 34 in. x 104 in. (264 cm x 84 cm)" That's more accurate.
I think the idea is that you stuff gear at bottom.

You have to be careful.
My experiences (over 42 years camping) with bags are that normal run of the mill cheap brand name bags are cut to suit a 6' 14 stone max man and that's it.
205 x 80 x 50 max outside dims. "Ext Chest Width: 80cm-Max User Height: 185cm"
I own several and at 5' 11 & 1/4" - 12 stone something, its hard to fit unless you place one arm down body!
Up market fancy names mean you're well be buying a mountain type sleeping bag which is considerably bigger.
Even £250-300 bags do quote max user height but internal width at 73 cm is miserly?
They are made narrow so they are lighter.

This is a 1 M wide bag, good down to 7 C, 1.6 kgs
http://www.military1st.co.uk/products/s ... Gwodm0YP9Q

This 95 cm wide user H 6' 2". 8C.
http://www.outdoorworlddirect.co.uk/van ... g-bag.html

This 95 cm & 2C comfort, 1.75 kgs.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VANGO-NITESTA ... Sw~AVYovDs

You would be preety big not to fit those :)
I have a 710 & 1150 gram synthetic bags with comfort of 7 & 4 C (respectively) but careful it does not pinch the shoulders.......the heavier is a tad wider. It seems bananas that considering we are getting fatter that bags are too narrow?
If you fit a 80 cm bag in a 86 cm bivvy........?

Just like solo tents, most are restricted on height so that above 5' 8" you head is on the roof or hitting the sides if you are over 5' 10".

Like some have said with tents "Light cheap and up to the job" unlikely you tick all three.
I edited my post earlier, sorry to digress.
Edited because of online print errors :(
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.