Salisbury, Wiltshire

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nickodemia

Salisbury, Wiltshire

Post by nickodemia »

Can anyone in Salisbury recommend a route across the city ? I will be coming into the city from the Southampton side and have to get to the A360, the Devizes road. Thanks
maxglide

Re: Salisbury, Wiltshire

Post by maxglide »

Here's how I do it:

Down the hill from Alderbury, along the A36 cycle path past the college to big roundabout , bear right then under the subway to St Ann street > right at St John's > left at New Street > stop at High Street on the right for coffee & cake. After that head West on Bridge street.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Sure I saw a cycle path along the 'bypass' when I was there last year. OTOH a stop in the city sounds like a good idea - followed the cycle path into the centre from where you can head out west (I went north to the campsite below Old Sarum, again on a cycle path).
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

It will be slow whichever route you take :shock:
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

maxglide wrote:Here's how I do it:

Down the hill from Alderbury, along the A36 cycle path past the college to big roundabout , bear right then under the subway to St Ann street > right at St John's > left at New Street > stop at High Street on the right for coffee & cake. After that head West on Bridge street.

Alternatively, take the 2nd right after the subway (Love Lane), then 4th left (Salt Lane), right at T (Castle St) and 1st left down the side of Iceland on NCN 45, which takes you out under the ring road on a cycle track and past Old Sarum. The next left after crossing the river takes you up onto the A 360.

I must say, if I was riding Southampton to Devizes, I'd head for Amesbury & Upavon rather than heading for Salisbury
jk49

Post by jk49 »

If you are touring and enjoy looking at the "sights" you could follow the cycle path along southampton rd (horrible), but turn into churchill gdns and follow the path to newbridge rd. Follow it under the bridge with the river to st nicholas rd, into De Vaux place and through the gate into the Cathedral close. Have a look around the Close, beautiful architecture, free sculpture and quite a tall church spire, then out through the high st gate to pick up cycle path past st Thomas church, running north, mostly traffic free into the woodford valley, onto Amesbury, Upavon, on ncn 45.
Hth, if you need any other info about the area, just ask.
nickodemia

Post by nickodemia »

Many thanks for the help, got it all written down. The A360 Devizes Road is the destination otherwise I wouldn't be going through the city, much prefer small lanes .