Alpkit Toliari panniers

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Re: Alpkit Toliari panniers

Post by Sweep »

foxyrider wrote:
Regardless of brand I wouldn't buy for myself any bags without adjustable, locking top hooks and adjustable lower hooks. I certainly don't want to have to use carabiners or bungees to do a job the bags should be designed for - that need smacks of not fit for purpose.

This. The fox speaks sense.
Sweep
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

mjr wrote:[
Why can a pannier bounce into your spokes? Don't the rack legs and rigid pannier back make that physically impossible as long as any part of the back is still attached to the top rails? How little clearance have you got between wheel and pannier? Or are Ortleibs not rigid-backed? :eek:

But if the main hooks have bounced off the rail and you've only got a krab holding a grab handle to some part of the rack you've got plenty of scope on a bouncy enough ride to unseat the panniers for them to twist in all sorts of unexpected directions. They won't be well constrained, and that's just a bit crap when locking hooks that avoid the basic possibility are easy to come by.

Orts are stiff backed.

And at £80 a pair this is really in "must do better" price territory. Carraduras are £20 cheaper a pair, Carradrys are a fiver more but a fair bit bigger, both lock on.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Davidwd

Post by Davidwd »

I woud pay the extra and go for ortlieb, proven longevity and excellent 5 year warranty
TimmyA

Post by TimmyA »

I've had them for a month or so - they've come off twice in precisely the same part of my London commute and the second time went under a taxi which dragged the bag 100m before I managed to catch him up and retrieve from beneath the cab. luckily Phone and Hard drive emerged unscathed (due to safe packing). They clipped on to the rack seemingly securely - quite hard to remove manually actually, but that particular pothole just seems to have my number. Anyway - lovely and light but if they can't handle a pothole then I'm going to have to get some Ortliebs.
mjr

Post by mjr »

TimmyA wrote:Anyway - lovely and light but if they can't handle a pothole then I'm going to have to get some Ortliebs.

Could you just replace their hooks with £10ish Ortlieb QL ones or would that trash the waterproofing?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.